PDA

View Full Version : Small number plates. You might just be ok

Bornagain
02-10-10, 12:10 AM
ACPO Guidelines on Number Plates

Basically, although small plates are technically illegal, the standing advice from the ACPO is that a clear distinction should be drawn between vanity plates that are slightly outside the regs and those that are taking the piss. The following is drawn from the Motorcycle Enforcement Strategy produced by the ACPO in 2006:

"Registration plates, the test to be applied, if not easily legible from 20.5 metres, prosecution and inform DVLA.

Whilst accepting that this is a technical offence, there are concerns regarding the misuse of registration plates on motorcycles.

It is well recognised that there are many technological advances in automated detection and enforcement equipment, most of which rely upon remote reading of registration plates.

It is difficult for enforcement agencies to differentiate between the individual who wishes to make a fashion statement or enhance the appearance of their machine from one who is deliberately attempting to avoid detection for criminal purposes.

It is with this rationale that it has been decided not to focus on the technicalities of the size of the plate or font size to comply with current legislation, but to apply a simple test of legibility, based upon the standard eyesight test for riders and drivers."

So if you can read your plate from 20.5m away, and you get pulled for a small plate, it could save you a fine to ask politely why the officer is choosing to ignore the ACPO's Motorcycle Enforcement Strategy.

Please spread the word...it could save you some cash [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dex
02-10-10, 02:38 AM
Or ride with a legal plate. That also saves you from prosecution.

Seriously though, thanks for posting up the ACPO guidance, it's always handy to know what the guidance is for Police. But it's also worth being very cautious how you use it....

There are some policemen who, no matter how nicely you phrase it, would feel you are telling them their job if you started quoting acpo guidelines. Failing the "attitude check" is a sure fire way to find yourself nicked for something.

Gerry
02-10-10, 01:03 PM
This has been the bone of contention for years on the mkiv Supra forum.

Many of us have after market noses (on the cars ;) ) and feel it’s a shame to have a sexy shaped bonnet & nose and then plonk a huge number plate on it.

There is provision in the written DVLA Regs for “certain imported vehicles” to have an “import size” plate (smaller) fitted. The trouble is that nobody can find out what a “certain vehicle” is and when we fit them many of us get done for having an non standard plate.

I have a smaller, completely legal, front plate showing the manufacturers details and BS number (as I only have 5 digits) as does my mate.
He got pulled outside Japfest at Castle Combe last year and fined. I got pulled and let off as it was late in the day and the copper said it was illegal but he’d “seen worse” so gave me a verbal warning.

The bottom line (IMO) is that if the copper says it’s illegal it won’t matter what you quote to him or even if he’s correct or not, you will get a fine.

Out of interest, I know of three Supra’s that don’t have any front plates on and all of them have been running like this for well over a year (one three years) without any problems from the police !
I’m tempted, but not brave enough, although I have been told that the penalty for not having a plate is less than showing a dodgy one !

Gery [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

wiltshire builders
02-10-10, 01:36 PM
Forget ACPO. I just quote the ACAB guidelines ;D

Iceman
02-10-10, 03:04 PM

I agree! Can't be bothered with the hastle and it's the law anyway. The number plate is only legal If it has the garage/retail who issued the plate stamped on the bottom of the plate and only will issue plates that conform to the legal standard! So the police officer can use that against you If they so wish! I am not a spoil sport but I don't give the police an excuse to hastle me for nothing! [smiley=happy.gif]

Bornagain
02-10-10, 05:14 PM

I agree! Can't be bothered with the hastle and it's the law anyway. The number plate is only legal If it has the garage/retail who issued the plate stamped on the bottom of the plate and only will issue plates that conform to the legal standard! So the police officer can use that against you If they so wish! I am not a spoil sport but I don't give the police an excuse to hastle me for nothing! [smiley=happy.gif]

Mine is huge and from the dealer too!!.... and i don't plan on changing it. However, i know that there's a fair percentage on here that have a slightly smaller yet non p*ss taking plate that either they've fit themselves or more often than not was on the bike when they bought it.
This thread is just for info. To use as you see fit. ACPO guidance is there for a reason. If the copper gives you the fine then this info can hopefully help you to avoid the fine via an appeal or letter to the Chief constable. It's quite clear.....if your plate is just a bit smaller & can be read from 20.5 meters then you should be ok.....if it's a postage stamp then just pay up!!

Nelly
02-10-10, 06:04 PM
Mine is legal size but i think its tilted up a little too much. When i bought it, bloody thing was TV screen size. So i took a hacksaw to it ;)

Dex
03-10-10, 11:00 AM
I have a smaller than "std" plate on the bike. Bit, since I have a 5 digit reg its totally legal. The regs don't state one min size for the plate, they state minimums for letter height and width, letter spacing, line spacing and border width. As long as you meet all those the plate is legal.

If your plate was made after a certain date (which slips my mind) it must have maker details on. Luckily mine was made before that date, and nobody can prove it wasn't :)

Remember acpo guidelines are just guidelines. If you get into a pissing contest with a pc about it, and they know the dimension rules, you're going to lose.

Thorkill_The_Tall
03-10-10, 09:37 PM
Any registration plate from September 2001 (51) onwards have to show the name of the plate's supplier, along with their telephone number, postcode, starsign, inside leg mesurment and BMI rating.

OK, so the latter three aren't realy true, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

DaytonaDog
04-10-10, 08:45 PM

Basically, although small plates are technically illegal, the standing advice from the ACPO is that a clear distinction should be drawn between vanity plates that are slightly outside the regs and those that are taking the piss. The following is drawn from the Motorcycle Enforcement Strategy produced by the ACPO in 2006:

"Registration plates, the test to be applied, if not easily legible from 20.5 metres, prosecution and inform DVLA.

Whilst accepting that this is a technical offence, there are concerns regarding the misuse of registration plates on motorcycles.

It is well recognised that there are many technological advances in automated detection and enforcement equipment, most of which rely upon remote reading of registration plates.

It is difficult for enforcement agencies to differentiate between the individual who wishes to make a fashion statement or enhance the appearance of their machine from one who is deliberately attempting to avoid detection for criminal purposes.

It is with this rationale that it has been decided not to focus on the technicalities of the size of the plate or font size to comply with current legislation, but to apply a simple test of legibility, based upon the standard eyesight test for riders and drivers."

So if you can read your plate from 20.5m away, and you get pulled for a small plate, it could save you a fine to ask politely why the officer is choosing to ignore the ACPO's Motorcycle Enforcement Strategy.

Liam

I sprayed a mouthful of tea everywhere when I read this. ACPO using common sense is about as common as rocking horse droppings. Usually the stuff they send out is politically correct fluffy wuffy pyschobabble rubbish and tends to get filed in the cabinet marked bin.

Policeman officer DaytonaDog Sir guidelines on number plates is simples: Got much better things to be doing with my time so I don't give a rats arse to be honest. :o :o :o :o :o :o

Bornagain
04-10-10, 09:57 PM
Sorry for the tea spray dude...hope you didn't scald anyone ;D :D

Balls to ACPO...i'm more up for DD guidlines

.......now where do we sign the petition [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] :D

Hazel-nut
05-10-10, 03:37 PM
i shall bear all this in mind for when i get my personalised plate made up next year :P
think its gonna go on a bike as im likely to get that before a new car and im hoping for a fairly new car :P

i just got as excited as i was on birthday recieving just by the thought of having it on my own bike! :D (must remember to put the paper work in a safe place)

Nelly
06-10-10, 12:37 PM

Liam

I sprayed a mouthful of tea everywhere when I read this. ACPO using common sense is about as common as rocking horse droppings. Usually the stuff they send out is politically correct fluffy wuffy pyschobabble rubbish and tends to get filed in the cabinet marked bin.

Policeman officer DaytonaDog Sir guidelines on number plates is simples: Got much better things to be doing with my time so I don't give a rats arse to be honest. :o :o :o :o :o :o

;D ;D ;D

Jon_W
11-10-10, 01:39 PM

I'm with the above. Legal plate, legal type, no problems. Added advantage to my mind is that the number plate is a big yellow reflector on the back of the bike.... other road users are known to be hard sighted, why make yourself less visable by reducing the size of the biggest reflector on the back of the bike!!