PDA

View Full Version : Got me a Bike!

thegasman2000
04-10-10, 11:41 AM
Well as you can see in my profile I got a GPZ550 last night on the bay... Pickup tonight then the madness begins. Should i make it naked?

CBRowner
04-10-10, 11:55 AM
Isn't that the same model as the one in Top Gun? It looks smart anyway and I don't think you should strip it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

thegasman2000
04-10-10, 12:03 PM
I think it was a GPZ900 that Tom Cruise ragged down the runway... 8-)

I think it looks a little tired but will post pick tomorrow when i get it cleaner. Think nakeds can look smarter. dunno yet!

CBRowner
04-10-10, 12:04 PM
Just buy a pilots jacket then and keep it as it is, people may mistaken you for Mr Cruise 8-)

thegasman2000
04-10-10, 12:06 PM
haha well thats always good! But a flight jacket would be freezing in this country. haha :o

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NAVY-flying-TOP-GUN-G-1-leather-bomber-FLIGHT-jacket-G1-/280569528809?pt=Men_s_Clothes&vti=Size%09S&hash=it em870b4c9e65

CBRowner
04-10-10, 12:15 PM
I'll lend you my issued jacket you get when they give you a flying suit 8-)

Fez
04-10-10, 12:18 PM
No to naked! :)

Nokesy
04-10-10, 01:09 PM
Naked bikes rule! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

thegasman2000
04-10-10, 01:12 PM
haha split opinion here i think! ;D

Nokesy
04-10-10, 01:14 PM
ahh but women are always right! ;D

jonnydangerous
04-10-10, 01:28 PM
dont do it!
gpz550 is a CLASSIC!

If you do "naked" it, keep all the bits, think youre gonna be shocked what these will fetch in 10 years time!

thegasman2000
04-10-10, 02:02 PM
hmm... it is a classic but they sometimes need a breath of fresh air.... Will post pics tomorrow and we shal see. Anyone owned one and have some tips on getting it back on the road? oil change, filters, tyres etc?

Iceman
04-10-10, 02:52 PM
Enjoy! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
04-10-10, 03:54 PM
oil filter is an element type, and the big central bolt has been known to strip the thread in the engine casings so go careful (use a torque wrench)
dont buy super sticky tyres, theyre wasted on the GPz, get sensible sports touring, and they will complement the bike, and last longer....if yours are good condition check the pressures (cheapest service available!)...

change the fork oil, it will be old and nasty by now!

check the operation of the rear shock, its probably likely to be past its best, once its on the road, plan for a good one, or keep your eye on ebay.....

overhaul the brakes, replace the nasty old spongy brake lines with some braided hoses, if you can stretch to it some new pads, and an overhaul/strip and clean...

replace any fuel filters.

balance the carbs, they will be a mile out and will make the engine seem sooooo much sweeter...

clean the plugs, and whilst youre there check valve clearances...

then give it a dam good thrashing and smile [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

newnut
04-10-10, 04:00 PM
lol. what he said above! congrats on the new bike. just get it all up to scratch standard first if i were you. be worth more when you come to sell it!

thegasman2000
04-10-10, 04:19 PM
Thanks thats great advice. will do! got a pdf of the manual online (sweet!) so will work my way through it... All 300 pages ::)

Fez
04-10-10, 04:57 PM
This was the bike my dad first got which caught my interest and got me into biking. :)

wiltshire builders
04-10-10, 06:33 PM
Wow you actually listened to my advice and got one. No-one has ever done that before. ;D

thegasman2000
04-10-10, 08:43 PM
Yeah i listened. and i intend to do more of it so I can get this beauty back into shape.

So just picked it up. There is no battery but the bloke started it off a charger and ticked over nice. normal crap fuel, unbalanced carb noises but otherwise fine. I checked and the engine was stone cold before he started... seen that trick before! 8-)

The bad news is the center stand has snapped in the middle (both uprights are fine its the brace between them) when i tried to pop it up in the garage. :'(
The carb needs new rubber seals as they leak, only a touch but worth the money.
The brakes are surprisingly fine, no play or rust. Needs braided lines though.
The electrics all worked which is a small miracle.
The tyres look in great shape, holding a decent pressure but will probably change when i use it daily anyway for touring types.
paint has missing lacquer but not too bad. not too faded either.
The forks seals need replacing.

THe AMAZING news is the exhaust.... Its a brand new Motad MZ5. Shiny and straight. not a single dent or scrape. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I have pics but my cable to put them on the laptop is at work (i work in IT.... go figure!) But will upload tomorrow and get the build/rebuild thread going.

Hope its all as good news as this, but doubt it will be :P

redken1
04-10-10, 09:10 PM
Naked bikes rule! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Naked girls rule lol [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

thegasman2000
05-10-10, 08:42 AM
hmm will this work?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54551646@N07/

thegasman2000
05-10-10, 02:34 PM
Got a battery at George White today so will be tinkering tonight! Also how cheap is the outlet shop at george white? Def going there when I need kit quick. :D

Jon_W
12-10-10, 07:59 AM
Please, I beg you, do not modify that lovely Gpz.... Do as Jd says and enjoy a classic jap bike!!!