PDA

View Full Version : Right Fuel ??

commando1966
13-10-10, 02:30 PM
Hiya folk's .. probly a dumb Q but is Unleaded Petrol ok for an old 1982 Honda CX500 ?

Robf
13-10-10, 03:49 PM
from my knowledge, all bikes use unleaded petrol

RichTT
13-10-10, 06:54 PM
This Link (http://hoc.atfreeforum.com/general-discussions-f2/leaded-and-unleaded-petrol-t2283.html) should help

commando1966
13-10-10, 07:37 PM
Ok cool .. and thanks to the LARGE response (lol) look's like Unleaded fuel is fine ! ::)

6T
13-10-10, 08:54 PM
unleaded fuel will be fine in your bike [smiley=thumbsup.gif] i run my 57 tbird on it no problem at all,in the late eighties i went to great expence having my 61 bonnie converted to run on it, when unleaded first came out there was a lot of concern in the classic car/bike press as the older engines rely on the lead in the petrol to lubricate the valve seats,a lot of it is unfounded unless you do very high mileage or its a racing machine :)

Jon_W
14-10-10, 08:11 AM
Unleaded is no prob with 80's Hondas. They seem to have had have the hardened valve seats as standard. Ran my Superdream on unleaded no issues. Also run my '62 cub on unleaded.

As Thunderbird says, it makes no odds anyway unless you are doing high mileages.

BB
14-10-10, 08:30 AM
I have run all my bikes over the years on whatever was available -leaded, unleaded, whatever. My late hubby ran his old BSA M20 on parafin during fuel shortages! :o He also ran it on a diesel/unleaded mixture when I made a mistake in the garage filling up the car! ::)

Thrifty sort of bloke! ;D ;D

BB

zachl
14-10-10, 02:02 PM
i tried to run my audi TT on diesel once, lol by accident :)

Jon_W
14-10-10, 02:09 PM
Ran a Honda Express on diesel.... it seemed to run better than on petrol.... The levels of smoke were awsome!!!

ZZR600Dude
14-10-10, 02:24 PM
On the subject of right fuel, I happened to read an article I think in 'Bike' about whether the Super unleaded fuel the manufacturer claim boosts engine peformance is actualy any better than standard unleaded. Conclusion was there was no difference when testing litre sports bikes. Only if the engine was able to remap it self to the high octance would it make any difference and even then the results were so small you wouldnt notice.

:)

Scotty
14-10-10, 10:39 PM
All Japanese bike engines since the '70s will run on unleaded - I think leaded was banned there decades ago so they had little choice.

Sorry if we couldn't all rush to answer your question Nick, most of us have to work and dicking around on forum pages whilst at work is generally frowned upon... ::) ::) ::)

crewy
14-10-10, 10:49 PM
My dad used to have a CX500 that ran very well on unleaded, i dont think he even gave it a thought lol

commando1966
14-10-10, 10:50 PM
Yeah thanks for that scotty .. lol .. i to work full time mate .. i only come on here in the evenings to say hi to people and possibly chat .. chill out man [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
15-10-10, 12:49 PM
Ran a Honda Express on diesel.... it seemed to run better than on petrol.... The levels of smoke were awsome!!!

:D ;D ;D

Col
16-10-10, 02:26 AM
Stopped for a biker back along being in a helpful frame of mind at the time ;D

The numbnut had only filled up with diesel :o I left him for the AA ;D