PDA

View Full Version : is standing up illegal?

zachl
18-10-10, 11:48 AM
during a long ride, when going through a 30 or something, i will occasionally stand up on the bike to release some pain from the buttocks lol i am allowed to do that? lol

Morticia
18-10-10, 11:56 AM
No idea, although I don't see why not. :-? I'm sure Able will be able to shed some light.

Jon_W
18-10-10, 12:09 PM
I suspect it is not directly illegal, but under curcumstances could be taken as not being full in control... depends on time, place etc.

redken1
18-10-10, 12:23 PM
That's a really good question. I think we all stand up now and again to give the old bum a bit of a rest. I would be interested to know.

Nelly
18-10-10, 12:44 PM
Just had a quick read up on this. Not really clear to be fair. As jon W says it all seems to be about being in proper control of your vehicle.

Nice little thread on MCN.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?topic-id=384567&start-page=10

Mitch9128
18-10-10, 12:44 PM
I really doubt it, and since you'd have both hands on the bars, you're totally in control.

zachl
18-10-10, 01:22 PM
i did think that it would be more down to being in compete control, ie not round a blind bend at 60

its just when you do it and you see some people expressions of like "omg what are you doing!!" lol

Ducatista
18-10-10, 01:40 PM
since you'd have both hands on the bars, you're totally in control

Can you get to the back brake as quickly as when you're sitting down?
I would say no.

I don't think it's directly illegal.
I don't stand up but I do take the weight of my bum over an unavoidable pothole or speed bumps.

You can't get to your back brake as quickly and your steering input will be different if you've got a lot of weight on your hands.

Careless riding/driving is a catch all.

Like a lot of things, it's down to judgement of the hazards and weighing up the pros and cons, but I don't think it's illegal.

DaytonaDog
18-10-10, 05:59 PM
There is no direct legislation to cover standing up on a bike, however as alluded to by others already not being in proper control or riding without due care and attention would be the legislation used to deal with said action. The guidance for what amounts to not being in proper control is fairly vague however an example would be looking down at the cd player to change a track. The legislation does state that the requirement to maintain proper control is continous and you must maintain a full view of the road ahead. Therefore I would say that a momentary standing up on the bike would be deemed acceptable (I be very surprised if you'd get stopped even if it wasn't, I certainly wouldn't, unless it was a certain Chippenham officer), however doing the same at 60/70 for a long distance isn't acceptable and would probably result in being stopped if seen. In essence you should be fine for a wee resting of the cheeks.

zachl
18-10-10, 06:09 PM
my bottocks thank you

newnut
18-10-10, 10:06 PM
its a good question. I stand briefly every time i dont wear leathers to let my jeans get in a comfy position rather than them being bunched up above my knees. I did this infront of an instructor b4 my test and he laughed and said for gods sake dont do that on your test!! I think daytona dog is probably right, no harm if its a safe time to do so. Not like the time i was able to stick my throttle open, i sat on my pillion seat with my hands behind me on the grab rail cruising down the dual carriageway with no rider in my riders seat. the police found this unacceptable. lol