PDA

View Full Version : Motorway madness

redken1
21-10-10, 06:45 PM
Last night my brother and I were heading back from working away in Cumbria. Aprox 30 miles north of Stafford heading south we were in the middle lane travelling at about 80mph when a biker passed us in the outside lane at a fair speed of knots. Not that unusual, but he/she had no lights on. Can't say whether or not the biker left the motorway at the first available exit, but we followed him/her for a few miles before we lost sight of him/her. Madness utter madness.

Mitch9128
21-10-10, 07:15 PM
Probably a variation on the 'how long you can keep your eyes shut' on the motorway game, sounds fun ;)

wiltshire builders
22-10-10, 03:40 PM
I'm surprised by the number of bikes being riden without lights on. They are invariably black bikes with black leathers too. Never seen anyone do it at night though. Maybe it was a "stealth bike".

Mitch9128
22-10-10, 04:35 PM
I've done anywhere between 0.1 and 80 miles with no lights at night, only realised bulb had blown when i came into Chippenham and everyone was flashing me.

Thorkill_The_Tall
22-10-10, 08:22 PM
A recent EU comissioned study, funded by us tax payers, came to the conclusion that reflective clothing/daytime lights/ light painwork in fact makes it more likely to be involved in an accident.
I've posted the link to the results before and I can't really be arsed to trawl the net to find it again.

The long and short of it is that if you want to ride around looking like a Christmas tree that's fine by me, but don't start making out it's the safest thing to do.

Mitch9128
22-10-10, 09:21 PM
Not only that, you look a complete pillock. Sam Brownes and Arlen Ness one piece suits look **** people!!

redken1
23-10-10, 10:37 AM
T the T I do agree with your comments regarding a Christmas Tree, but in my view riding at high speed on a motorway in the dark is downright irresponsible. We can debate the matter til the proverbial cows come home, but the fact is that such dangerous behaviour is gift-wrapped ammunition for the anti-biking lobby.

redken1
23-10-10, 10:39 AM
ps without lights

Thorkill_The_Tall
23-10-10, 02:22 PM
T the T I do agree with your comments regarding a Christmas Tree, but in my view riding at high speed on a motorway in the dark is downright irresponsible. We can debate the matter til the proverbial cows come home, but the fact is that such dangerous behaviour is gift-wrapped ammunition for the anti-biking lobby.

I was refering to this post:

I'm surprised by the number of bikes being riden without lights on. They are invariably black bikes with black leathers too. Never seen anyone do it at night though. Maybe it was a "stealth bike".

Apologies for not making myself more clear.

Riding or driving without lights at times of poor visibility is asking for trouble, I would have to agree.

redken1
23-10-10, 03:22 PM
No worries T the T (sorry don't know your first name) I was'nt having a dig at you I just could'nt believe my eyes last week.

Ken

wiltshire builders
24-10-10, 07:38 PM

Riding or driving without lights at times of poor visibility is asking for trouble, I would have to agree.

Ride how you want buddy, but if you get hit off and the insurers find you had no day time lights on you could find your payout cut by 25%

Snowy
24-10-10, 08:10 PM
That's why I'm happy to ride around lit up like a Christmas tree. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Last Train
24-10-10, 08:16 PM
That's why I'm happy to ride around lit up like a Christmas tree. ;D ;D ;D ;D

You do have a very bright bike !!

bobf279
24-10-10, 08:17 PM
Not only that, you look a complete pillock. Sam Brownes and Arlen Ness one piece suits look **** people!!

In your opinion!

Thorkill_The_Tall
24-10-10, 11:27 PM
?

Thorkill_The_Tall
24-10-10, 11:28 PM

Ride how you want buddy, but if you get hit off and the insurers find you had no day time lights on you could find your payout cut by 25%

You sure?
No legal compulsion for daytime lights, no evidence to prove they are in any way benificial - I think they'd be going out on a bit of a limb.

I fully intend to carry on 'riding how I like', as you put it.
Forty years of riding without daytime lights without being hit off yet.
No amount of bright lights and reflective clothing is going to help if you ride like a twat in the first place.

Anyway, if you are that concerned about having an accident, maybe you should take the bus.