PDA

View Full Version : Insurance question

b_m1957
24-10-10, 03:54 PM
I've seen this one asked before but never seen a definitive answer so I'll ask again:

I am insured to ride any bike with the owner's permission.
My friend wants to store his bike in my garage over winter but has taken it off the road (still taxed obviously but not insured).

Am I insured to ride it for him?

I'll ask my insurance company next week but wondered if there was a proper answer to this or whether it's down to individual companies and policies...

Any thoughts???

Snowy
24-10-10, 04:45 PM
You need to check with your insurers to be sure. Usually you will be covered to ride your friends bike on your insurance but only third party. So, if you bin the bike and its your fault you will be paying your mate back in hard earned.

Check with your insurers though as it may depend on other factors such as value/engine size you are going to ride and your age. If you have limitations on your insurance, your mates bike may not be covered even third party.

BB
24-10-10, 05:07 PM
I belive the same as Beemerman.

Leaving it taxed but not insured? :-? I'd have done it the other way round myself. You can get insurance to cover while it's being stored.

BB

pilninggas
24-10-10, 06:23 PM
I've seen this one asked before but never seen a definitive answer so I'll ask again:

I am insured to ride any bike with the owner's permission.
My friend wants to store his bike in my garage over winter but has taken it off the road (still taxed obviously but not insured).

Am I insured to ride it for him?

I'll ask my insurance company next week but wondered if there was a proper answer to this or whether it's down to individual companies and policies...

Any thoughts???
As far as i am aware policies with "insured to ride other vehicles with the owners' permission" state in the schedule or the small-print that the vehicle must be insured by the owner for it to be effective. This is to stop someone buying an R1, putting it in their grannies name and then riding it around on their C90 insurance, if you see what i mean.

Ducatista
24-10-10, 06:38 PM
You need to check the small print as pilininggas says to make sure whether the bike needs to be insured in it's own right (or call the insurers).

If it is ok to ride it then be aware that it will only be insured while you are riding it.
So you cannot stop and leave it parked up as then it will be uninsured.
So you can not leave the bike for any reason including any comfort stops.

DaytonaDog
24-10-10, 07:01 PM
Section 143 of the road traffic act states:

(1) subject to the provisions of this act -

(a) a person must not use a motor vehicle on a road or other public place unless there is in force in relation to the use of the vehicle by that person such a policy of insurance or such a security in respect of Third party risks as complies with the requirements of this part of this act,

when considering vehicle insurance it is useful to ask:

does

this policy cover
this person to drive
this vehicle for
this purpose on
this day

in essence you are covered with third party risk even if the owner hasn't insured it. It is not the bike that is insured it is the person using it. This is how an uninsured driver is able to get a seized vehicle back by getting a mate who is insured to collect the vehicle. However, a cautionery note, insurance companies are countering this by putting a condition on the policy that the insured is not covered in this circumstance, i.e collecting a seized uninsured vehicle. Therefore prior to riding your friends bike I would check you policy regarding the terms of use.

Lexx0r
24-10-10, 09:05 PM
I work in insurance. This answers your question:

Legally you can ride it but:
You cannot stop anywhere on public land and get off the bike- you must ALWAYS be on it.

It will still need to have a valid tax, mot and the vehicle cannot be registered in your name.

Provided its insured elsewhere (by you mate still), you can stop anywhere legally. However if its not - you cannot stop on the public roads at all. Its illegal.

Source: Myself, I work in Insurance and get questions like this daily.

b_m1957
25-10-10, 07:09 AM
I work in insurance. This answers your question:

Legally you can ride it but:
You cannot stop anywhere on public land and get off the bike- you must ALWAYS be on it.

It will still need to have a valid tax, mot and the vehicle cannot be registered in your name.

Provided its insured elsewhere (by you mate still), you can stop anywhere legally. However if its not - you cannot stop on the public roads at all. Its illegal.

Source: Myself, I work in Insurance and get questions like this daily.
ta, perfect. I'll double check to get it from the horse's mouth so to speak, but this is what i was hoping!