PDA

View Full Version : Which gloves?

b_m1957
28-10-10, 10:00 PM
I'm fed up of my current Richa gloves which were a compromise between summer and winter when I first got a bike. They let the water in as soon as it starts raining: the water runs down my arm and straight into the glove (I wear my fabrics inside my gloves).

I don't want any silly mitts or over-gloves because I like to be able to move my fingers independently for blipping down and light control on the brake lever with my fingertips.

Not fussed about new or used but don't have buckets of money to spend (I'm looking for a bargain), has anyone got any particular recommendations for good value winter gloves which will keep me warm and dry???

Snowy
28-10-10, 10:17 PM
Have you tried putting your gloves inside your jacket sleeve? Usually this stops the water running straight inside the glove. ;)

BB
28-10-10, 10:20 PM
Have you tried putting your gloves inside your jacket sleeve? Usually this stops the water running straight inside the glove. ;)

Works for me too! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

b_m1957
28-10-10, 10:51 PM
Yeah, but it's horribly uncomfortable.
I've got Richa Nasa gloves and they are quite big around my wrist (my wrists are quite small).
I've been looking at gloves with a drawstring to stop the water.

Mitch9128
29-10-10, 07:07 AM
HG do the Pathan claw glove, in a 5 finger pair too, i've got these and they are very warm and dry too. Failing that, GW outlet has shedloads, go try some.

Nelly
29-10-10, 07:37 AM
I have about 10 pairs of gloves. But i always go back to my Alpine Stars. Seem warmer and dryer than anything. Every tried putting some thin latex underneath or the little see through plastic ones?

BB
29-10-10, 07:45 AM
Get yourself to a bike shop with your jacket and keep trying stuff on until you find something that suits. Any decent bike shop will let you or help you do this.

Ghost & I have a pair of Hein Gericke waterproof gloves each (amongst many others lol) he uses them for his daily commute to Fawley and is seriously impressed with them. They are blokes gloves and fit my slim wrists fine under jacket sleeves. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

Jon_W
29-10-10, 08:11 AM
I have about 10 pairs of gloves. But i always go back to my Alpine Stars. Seem warmer and dryer than anything. Every tried putting some thin latex underneath or the little see through plastic ones?

Now use nothing but Alpinestars. Top gloves, no complaints.

BladeTriple
29-10-10, 08:22 AM
Kaz got me a pair of Alpine Stars fabric / goretex winter gloves and they are toasty as hell however they come in around the £75 mark.

You could look at getting a larger pair of SealSkinz gloves to fit over your summer thin bike gloves . They are waterproof with a grippy palm on them absolutely fantastic and you can pick them up for £26 if you look at the right places online. Really warm too and you can also use them for washing your bike off in winter they are that good .

You can submerge your hand in water with them on and they will keep your hands dry while still remaining breathable, you can also buy sealskinz socks as well if you do a lot of wet weather / winter riding another must for that kind of horrid weather :)

Jon_W
29-10-10, 09:11 AM
True, Alpines are pricy, but mine have lasted eight years and are still excellent the firs pairs I had fell to bits after a year. Can't fault them and happily pay the extra.

ZZR600Dude
29-10-10, 09:19 AM
Aplinestar 365 Goretex gloves. Can wear them all year round, they are excellent though quite pricy. Try ebay may be some on there. Athough Goretex they are still wearable even in the hottest of weather so you can get away with just one pair of gloves for the whole year. They also have knuckle protectors and the extra protection to stop the little finger being injured in a crash.

re. water running into your glove

Think I read somewhere;

if handlebars lower than your riding position wear waterproofs over gloves, if handlebars higher wear waterproofs under gloves. I believe its when you are at rest that the water seaps in.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Snowy
29-10-10, 05:01 PM
+1 for the Alpinestars 365's (about £165) although I find them too hot in high summer and not warm enough at freezing temperatures so tend to use them most for spring and autumn. I have some HG summer gloves (about £80) which are really comfy for the summer and I wimp out in the cold and use heated gloves.

I have quite a few other pairs I have picked up along the way but have found it best to pay top dollar as thats what you tend to get.