PDA

View Full Version : Dealers covering facts

ZZR600Dude
26-10-10, 05:44 PM
Whilst up at a certain Swindon bike shop on the weekend I had a look at a ZZR1400. Got chatting to the sales guy and happened to mention the recall of 06 and 07 machines due to frame failure and he told me he had never heard anything about that;
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2008/June/9-15/june0908Kawasaki-ZZR1400-frame-recall/

The same dealer a couple of years ago also told me he had never heard of the side weave issue on Pan Europeans which is also common knowledge.

I know there in the business of selling bikes but I just feel they conveniently brush a few things aside.

>:(

SupeRDel
26-10-10, 06:41 PM
Salesman do not have to be experts in the item they are selling.

They just need to be good salesman.

Back in the 70's I knew a dealership where a chap was a top salesman.
He did not ride a bike - did not even have a licence for them

Nelly
26-10-10, 06:57 PM
Salesman do not have to be experts in the item they are selling.

They just need to be good salesman.

Back in the 70's I knew a dealership where a chap was a top salesman.
He did not ride a bike - did not even have a licence for them

Seriously???? :o

igbell
26-10-10, 10:00 PM
Yes this sort of thing is true they are out there, just peeps with the gift of the gab

Jon_W
27-10-10, 09:50 AM
Whilst up at a certain Swindon bike shop on the weekend I had a look at a ZZR1400. Got chatting to the sales guy and happened to mention the recall of 06 and 07 machines due to frame failure and he told me he had never heard anything about that;
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2008/June/9-15/june0908Kawasaki-ZZR1400-frame-recall/

The same dealer a couple of years ago also told me he had never heard of the side weave issue on Pan Europeans which is also common knowledge.

I know there in the business of selling bikes but I just feel they conveniently brush a few things aside.

In the strict defence of the dealer, he or she (better be PC...) will have to remember the details of dozens of different bikes. Is it fair to expect a salesman to remember every recall covering every model bike in the country?? Seems the critisism is a little harsh.

Also don't understand why a salesman has to ride to sell bikes. Surely if you are good at selling and dealing with people then you are a good salesman and the best person for the job.

ZZR600Dude
28-10-10, 09:41 AM

In the strict defence of the dealer, he or she (better be PC...) will have to remember the details of dozens of different bikes. Is it fair to expect a salesman to remember every recall covering every model bike in the country?? Seems the critisism is a little harsh.

Also don't understand why a salesman has to ride to sell bikes. Surely if you are good at selling and dealing with people then you are a good salesman and the best person for the job.

I disagree,

I would expect the sales person to at least have some interest in bikes even if there not a rider themselves.
Re. the harsh criticism; I still stand by my earlier point

the MCN article indicates Kawasaki UK are aware of the problem. I dont expect a dealer to remember every revision of every bikes. However I would expect the dealer to remember major recalls.

I just have a feeling a lot of dealers know of such issues but wont pass this on to the general public. I personally would prefer to buy from a dealer who is honest and up front.

Ducatista
28-10-10, 10:10 AM
I'm trying not to sound harsh (I usually fail) but I think it's naive in the extreme to expect someone with a clear vested interest to tell you the truth.
I am not saying they lie but it's the job to highlight any positive factors in the best possible light and play down or omit any negative factors in order to make the sale. Surely that's their job. To expect honesty and truth where there is money at stake is a fundamentally flawed concept from the outset.

Talk to dealers by all means, but also look at magazine reviews, owners websites, forums etc.
There may also be bias in those as well so you have to bear in mind how much faith you put in the individual.
Over time you can build a picture and filter out the bias.

Davey
04-11-10, 11:20 AM
As I am no longer in the trade I can actually say how I feel both about customers and dealers.

At no point if I knew of a recall would I cover it up and nor would previous colleagues. We don't always know of them as they are sent to the customer or flagged by the workshop. No you don't need to ride a bike to sell them and there is a sales guy at GW's who only recently passed after being in the trade for 5 years.

Customers often know more about the bike they're looking at as they are normally looking at a few bikes. We had to know details of hundreds of bikes and though my memory is good I couldn't remember the recalls, changes, spec etc over the years for every model. Get a grip/ life so what he didn't know but you did and easily tracked by asking a service dept of any recalls.

Being in the trade thee was never any point in lying/ covering up etc as the marval of the internet allows everyone to the same info we have. Anyone that I spoke to knows I didn't beat around the bush regarding bikes and gave a honest view and personally feel that is the best way if I didn't know I admitted it than blagging it. But I really couldn't be arsed with people who spent their time trying to catch you out as obvioulsly they know the data and why not save mine and thier time [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

On another note if the recall has been done theres nothing to worry about if it hasn't it would get flagged up by the workshop....and done

Oh I'm glad not to be selling any more 8-) Retirement is great :)

Ducatista
04-11-10, 11:40 AM
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetance ;)