PDA

View Full Version : Winter Leathers.

benobiker
01-11-10, 05:45 PM
I guess this must have been asked before but I cannot find a match so hope you dont mind me asking here. I am looking for some thoughts on winter leathers. I prefer wearing leather to other material (prob a weeks worth of work for shrink ((can't spell psychologist)) so would be interested to know if anyone can recommend some cheapish two piece winter leathers ??

Mitch9128
02-11-10, 07:03 AM
Cheap winter leathers? They don't exist, either stump up £1k or thereabouts, or go textile for £100+.

Jon_W
02-11-10, 07:33 AM
Winter leathers???? Wear a lot of jumpers..... :P

Id go textile. Salt etc will destroy the leather if your not careful + textile is waterproof and wind proof.

Recently got a new Spada jacket from Stevens for 70 notes. Recommended.

benobiker
02-11-10, 09:02 AM
Cheers fellas. This is not what I want to hear mind you! Are you really telling me that no one is making cheap good quality winter leathers for a couple of hundred quid when it costs £1 for a child to stitch together 150 pairs of a famous brand of trainers???

I think there is a missed sweatshop opportunity here!! In the mean time it is either material other than leathers or ...... blue peter it with some summer leathers... now... where is that sticky back plastic......MUM can i have that fairy bottle...... :D

Mitch9128
02-11-10, 09:10 AM
Personally i prefer leathers too, but if there is salt down, you'll need to clean them every few days. Benefit of textiles are you can bung them in the washing machine when dirty, and some of the HG kit is still sporty. I've got a sheltex blouson of theirs for £60 in the sale, and i wear it in all weathers and it's as warm as you need. Also leather ain't waterproof, if it pees down, you will be drying them for days, unless you have goretex bonded gear, and that is the £1k stuff.

Roll_on
02-11-10, 10:33 AM
I use the same leathers winter and summer and just use a textile oversuit when its really cold or wet. The oversuit adds warmth is waterproof and easy to clean but I still have the comfort of leather protection underneath.

Sean.C
02-11-10, 01:03 PM
Just wear a textile jacket over the top of you leathers , That'll keep you warm and dry.

BB
02-11-10, 01:32 PM
I use the same leathers winter and summer and just use a textile oversuit when its really cold or wet. The oversuit adds warmth is waterproof and easy to clean but I still have the comfort of leather protection underneath.

Works for me too!

BB

CBRowner
02-11-10, 03:35 PM
I used to wear my leathers all year round, when I rode, and just wore a see-through over suit when it rained.

Last year, I wore textile because I wasn't used to the lovely English winter and they seemed alot better in the wet and the cold but I still wore the over suit for added warmth and waterproofing.

You're probably better off with a descent base layer, including bottoms, and you'll find that you cope with all conditions. You can get good base layers from Millets. I'd recommend Underarmour or Helly Hanson but there are some good cheaper makes out there [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ZZR600Dude
02-11-10, 06:55 PM
actually there are waterproof leathers around but expensive
e.g.
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-product-news/bmw-launch-waterproof-leathers/4396.html
or
http://www.carolenash.com/insidebikes/new-products/bering-waterproof-leathers.htm

:)

SupeRDel
02-11-10, 08:47 PM
No such thing as waterproof leather - Read the blurb.

Words like water repelent and waterproof coating does not sound very convincing too me.

A good downpour and I bet things will become very damp. :(

Mark_Able
02-11-10, 09:09 PM
Cheers fellas. This is not what I want to hear mind you! Are you really telling me that no one is making cheap good quality winter leathers for a couple of hundred quid when it costs £1 for a child to stitch together 150 pairs of a famous brand of trainers???

I think there is a missed sweatshop opportunity here!! In the mean time it is either material other than leathers or ...... blue peter it with some summer leathers... now... where is that sticky back plastic......MUM can i have that fairy bottle...... :D

I've got Richa leathers that I wear summer or winter. If it rains I put on over trousers. If it's cold I wear thermals from Millets under them. If it's cold and raining I wear both... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
I wear a textile jacket cos it's got more pockets, and more space to wear extra layers. Polo neck jumper from Millets, fleece jumper from Millets, and thermals from Millets if it's really cold... [smiley=happy.gif]
Millets are useful... :)

Mark_Able
02-11-10, 09:12 PM
[quote author=CBRowner link=1288633524/0#8 date=1288712101]I used to wear my leathers all year round, when I rode, and just wore a see-through over suit when it rained.

Just a see-through over suit... :o Don't think I'd have liked to see that... :)

kawasakiz
03-11-10, 05:59 AM
I wear one of those waterproof romper suites over my leathers, they are a bit uncomfortable but do keep you dry

CBRowner
03-11-10, 12:46 PM
[quote author=CBRowner link=1288633524/0#8 date=1288712101]I used to wear my leathers all year round, when I rode, and just wore a see-through over suit when it rained.

Just a see-through over suit... :o Don't think I'd have liked to see that... :)

A sight for sore eyes, especially if I did it round Westbury :D

I did wear my leathers under the see through suit, sorry to disapoint the ladies ;)

benobiker
03-11-10, 05:24 PM
ta for all advice! I reckon you are all correct but being a stubborn...erm... well you know... I am going to buy a cheap as chips set of leathers (old ) off ebay, spray them with nikwax or similar. Tape up all the seams inside then get totally soaked and cold and ruin them , then follow your advice and finally accept if I want to wear leathers all year. MOVE!! :(

BB
03-11-10, 06:45 PM
Sounds fair enough! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

Mark_Able
03-11-10, 08:27 PM
ta for all advice! I reckon you are all correct but being a stubborn...erm... well you know... I am going to buy a cheap as chips set of leathers (old ) off ebay, spray them with nikwax or similar. Tape up all the seams inside then get totally soaked and cold and ruin them , then follow your advice and finally accept if I want to wear leathers all year. MOVE!! :(

Could try wearing a bin liner inside the leathers... [smiley=happy.gif]

CBRowner
03-11-10, 09:39 PM

Or wear a dry suit underneath just to be on the safe side ;D

benobiker
04-11-10, 01:34 AM
yeah one of those drysuits with the copper lid !! Good for the neck muscles.

benobiker
04-11-10, 01:35 AM

ERM I have seen those sort of websites....... and they made me blush!

Mitch9128
04-11-10, 06:57 AM
George Whites outlet has shedloads of Frank Thomas at cheap as chips prices, also i would go for a 2 peice waterproof if you ride a sportsbike and are not vertically challenged. I'm 6'2" and can't lean far enough in a 1 piece, they are never long enough in the torso for me.

ZZR600Dude
04-11-10, 09:13 AM
Buy 5 cheap sets of leather on ebay
Wear a set each day and by the time you have cycled through them the first set will be dry

;D

Jon_W
04-11-10, 12:03 PM
Buy 5 cheap sets of leather on ebay
Wear a set each day and by the time you have cycled through them the first set will be dry

;D

;D

benobiker
05-11-10, 02:46 PM
Oh God.... new dilema~!!! So I have just bought an old set of leathers on ebay for just over £100 so will have to count as b day & Xmas present!! Still dont think that is a bad price and now we hit the problem. Nipped out and bought some nikwax or whatever it is called. Opened parcel getting out what i expected to be old knackered smelly leathers and ready to spray... Jaw hits the F'ing deck... they are a two piece black BELSTAFF set of leathers and they are totally brand new looking! Unmarked smoke free / smell free etc... So I am now thinking they are far too georgous to risk ruining by spray them..... SO in the plus corner set of V cool Belstaff black two piece good fitting leathers... in the minus column still no further on in the wet leathers stake....... ;D ;D ;D :D :D

ro
05-11-10, 05:05 PM
Well done with your purchase - sounds like you got a bargain! Belstaff used to make good stuff - not so sure now though; it seems to have become a fashion brand. I'm very pleased with my Belstaff Thermosport gloves (http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/thermosport-gloves.asp?review=all), which were warm enough for all but a couple of long trips in near-zero temperatures last year (then I resorted to the ungainly and inelegant but very effective Oxford handlebar muffs (http://www.bitzforbikes.co.uk/-ref-13713-388.html)).

Leathers and layers are definitely the way to go. I got through last winter comfortably with Extreme Racing's one piece & windproof set combo (http://www.extremeracing.co.uk/) under Wolf 2-piece leathers (which are perforated on the chest and thighs). I also put nikwax on the leathers and that certainly helps shed water in a shower. but it doesn't keep it out forever: in really cold or wet weather, I added a waterproof Oxford Chillout multi-sport jacket (http://www.bikermart.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CH160) over the top. It's made of slightly stretchy material so it doesn't billow in the wind, and it packs small enough that I can carry it "just in case" in my tank bag all the time.

Incidentally, I had a flyer from Go Outdoors (http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/) this week: with a discount card you get 20% off everything until Sunday 7th November. There are also some special deals in the coming weeks, e.g. 15--28 Nov:Regatta thermal base layer set (top & bottom) £9.99 which might be worth a look.

benobiker
06-11-10, 02:51 PM
Cheers ro, wolf leathers thats more like it! Yeah mine a preforated in the same places. Yeah will have look at go outdoors... I have very old knackered jacket so think i will nikwax that first to see what it does to the look of the leathers then decide on whether to do the belstaff ones. I know what you mean about the fashion thing but these seem to be proper biker gear... fingers crossed.

Erm you have muff on your handlebars?? Is that not a tad distracting!!!??? :o