PDA

View Full Version : winter protection...

zachl
05-10-10, 02:24 PM
hey all,

its coming to that time that i need to start thinking about protecting the bike for winter,

i know people use acf 50, but i have no idea what this is, how you use it, or what you use it on,

i will be out for the odd blast on sunny dry days so dont need to worry about tyre pressure or draining fuel etc

any info much appreciated

Mitch9128
05-10-10, 03:33 PM
Clean bike, apply, clean bike, apply, repeat ad infinitum until winter ends. Or use Fs365, just spray down with it after every ride, and wash off in spring. Your gonna suffer some corrosion whatever you use, i prefer a deep clean every few weeks, ACF50 after the clean and fs365 after every ride. I hate winter :(

zachl
05-10-10, 04:25 PM
well i wont be riding in salty/wet conditions so corrosion shouldnt really be an issue, but knowing that pretty much all bikes suffer from pitting etc on the front forks, especially mine being suzuki, and currently with no corrosion, i dont want it to suddenly appear.

its always treated to wax and frequent wash downs so should be ok.

my current cover (silver one from halfords) doesnt cover my wheels and when it rains it sticks to the bike where i guess it isnt 100% waterproof. anybody recommend a good cover

Nokesy
05-10-10, 04:30 PM
http://www.motrax.co.uk/index.php?mod=product&id_prd=42

I have one of their deluxe covers and it is excellent. Have had it a few years now and no problems with it - can even cover bike when warm due to insulated panels. Bit more expensive than most but I would definitely recommend one - you wouldn't need to replace it for a long time. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Snowy
05-10-10, 05:34 PM
If you ride in the winter but not in the wet you will still get salt corrosion. The salt dries and ends up as a powder on the roads nicely coating your bike and getting everywhere as it's then airborne. The salt then absorbs moisture and will eat your exposed metalwork.

I will ACF50 my bikes next month and then generally just use cold water to wash off the muck. With ACF50 you have to put up with a dirty looking bike as muck clings to it - you just need to have faith that underneath its all OK. Come the spring wash off with SDOC100 and then continue the rest of the year with FC365.

I take a whole day to apply the ACF50 and another day to clean it off in the spring but its worth it as for the rest of the year it takes 30 miniutes to clean the bike each time it gets dirty.

Ducatista
05-10-10, 05:41 PM
If you can afford it then it's £60 to get it done professionally.

http://www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk/

We just had ours done and he came to Chippenham for 2 bikes (we're just within the 40 mile limit from Newbury but he'll travel further for 3 or 4 bikes).

We also got the puncturesafe done as well.

zachl
05-10-10, 07:16 PM
thanks i will look into it

so is acf50 like a grease? cos dirt sticks to like wd40 etc.

is it for forks and wheels? i take it i dont use it on the chain or fairings etc.

you say about leaving dirty all winter, cant you wipe the dirt off and then give it another quick top coat?

Mitch9128
05-10-10, 08:29 PM
It goes everywhere bar your brakes, and beware, it creeps. Problem with the cans is it doesn't mist very well, better if you can afford a litre container and use a seperate mister, it ain't cheap though.

Snowy
05-10-10, 08:36 PM
If you get a 1 litre bottle and hand pump it's not that expensive - the cans are because you are paying for convenience. With the hand pump the misting is better if you warm the ACF up first in some hot water. As said though, keep it off the brakes and I make sure it doesn't get into any locks/ignition barrels etc. It's not the best thing to use on electrical connections either so be careful around those.

As Ducatista points out, the pro's do it very well and it's not that expensive provided you don't wash it off. I prefer DIY but I just like working on my bikes ;)

zachl
05-10-10, 10:16 PM
yeh snap. i even spent over £100 on a machine polisher for the car with pads and polishes to make that shine too :)

ok so last question,

is like a spray on, leave to haze and then buff off thing?

oh and can i use my autoglym hd wax on top of it

Mitch9128
06-10-10, 09:41 AM
Nope it's like a gloopier wd40, forget the bike looking good in winter.

zachl
06-10-10, 10:21 AM
hmmmm

i have just bought some but i think i'll just use it on the the wheels, forks, and engine area, just leave the wax on the body as i dont fancy greasy plastics but then they aren't likely to corrode

Sharik
06-10-10, 10:59 AM
Beware that Scottoiler FS365 is water soluble therefore of limited value for a British winter.

Mitch9128
06-10-10, 01:37 PM
"Beware that Scottoiler FS365 is water soluble therefore of limited value for a British winter."

Unless you apply it after every ride as directed ::)

Sharik
06-10-10, 02:53 PM
"Unless you apply it after every ride as directed"

Hand on heart, if you ride all year would you do that? Far better to utilise the ACF 50 which will last longer than one wet ride.

Mitch9128
06-10-10, 04:26 PM
I ride all year, and only use it when the salt is down, i also use acf50, can't be too careful :)

Snowy
06-10-10, 09:48 PM
"Unless you apply it after every ride as directed"

Hand on heart, if you ride all year would you do that? Far better to utilise the ACF 50 which will last longer than one wet ride.

It depends how meticulous you are and if you have OCD like I do. It's ACF50 for the winter as it sticks and doesn't easily wash off. However, there are still small quantities of salt on the roads in high summer, so some people like myself use a corrision inhibitor during these months as well. FC365 is easy to apply, works well and because it washes off with water makes the bike easy to clean when getting rhe bugs off. Also helps protect metalwork from the acidic bug splatter.

And I ride all year round to. ;)

Jon_W
11-10-10, 10:28 AM
I've found the best protector against salt is cheap chain lube.

I apply on the forks, engine covers and engine sump (and the chain from time to time...). It looks horrendous but is brilliant protection. Wash it off one a month and re-apply... Works of alloy wheels as well!!

JAYJAY
06-11-10, 08:31 PM
Robin - is this now all set up for the 28th? Looking forward to my gleaming bike [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ro
06-11-10, 10:37 PM
Robin - is this now all set up for the 28th? Looking forward to my gleaming bike [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Yes, I think so. See the other thread (http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1287819870/45).