PDA

View Full Version : Within 24 hours

Squashed_Fly
16-11-10, 10:08 PM
Thought I'd share this with you - after passing my test a few weeks ago, and finally getting out on my new bike, the following day the missus suggested we go to the fireworks at lydiard park on the bike to make parking easier...

Great idea I thought, as I'd been there a few times in the car and the ride would be fine.

Little did I know I'd be dirt tracking a 600cc sportsbike, with pillion, getting it sideways accross the field and somehow managing to save a slide (with pillion still on!), only to find out the side stand wouldn't support the bike. Obvious you might thing, but I had planned on us parking in the SOLID car park!

Anyhow, the marshalls let me park in the staff area away from the rest of the cars, and very kindly furnished me with carrier bad and lots of cardboard boxes to make a temporary sidestand puck and we had a fab night! Certainly a baptism of fire for the missus (who had never been on a bike before!), and she still loves it so she must have true biker blood in her somewhere!

Red Zed 1
16-11-10, 10:20 PM
:o,your missus def made of the right stuff. :)

Squashed_Fly
16-11-10, 10:23 PM
She is - I don't saying I **** myself (more at the thought of losing my new baby to the mud than anything!) but she was cool as the proverbial. Didn't even bat an eyelid. She just said "I trusted you and that you would be able to handle it fine". Such wisdom is folly in the minds of fools!

BB
17-11-10, 07:10 AM
Crazy man with a trusting pillion! :o

Had a similar thing years ago (without pillion) leaving a rally field after it rained for a couple of days. Got within 20ft of the tarmac and then measured my length, had an even coating of mud down one side from wheels to helmet! :-[ ;D

BB

Nelly
17-11-10, 09:34 AM
It can only get better then :)

CBRowner
17-11-10, 11:48 AM
I always carry one of those side stand plates under my seat because I've been caught out before and it's not fun trying to struggle with a bike that's falling :(

mcicy
18-11-10, 08:20 AM
You paid to get into lydiard? I was outside watching it from the road

Squashed_Fly
18-11-10, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't have been able to feel the bonfire from there! lol