PDA

View Full Version : First crash! :/

jet92
14-11-10, 06:35 PM
hi havnt used the forum in a while but my first proper 'biking experience' happened yesterday.
i was going around a small roundabout on my moped when the back wheel suddenly washed away. all i remember is entering the roundabout, sliding along the ground facing the other way, then getting up on the other side with my bike facing the other way.
suprisingly i only managed to get a badly grazed knee however my bike does need some repairs: scratched on the side, broken right mirror, bent front brake lever and a stiff rear brake.
i have to admit that i was lucky yesterday.

smellygerm
14-11-10, 06:38 PM
never mind ,bikes can be fixed or replaced but your a bit more fragile ,chin up kid [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dabz
14-11-10, 06:41 PM
not good mate, though you were very lucky to come away with just scratches! the roads can be stupidly slippy this time of year, can happen to any of us!

jet92
14-11-10, 06:42 PM
yeah very true. i got back on it almost straight away afterwards, and went on it today to a remembrance parade in swindon.

the road was slightly wet which probably caused it but ive ridden in worse conditions ie heavy rain. guess its just one of those things

BB
14-11-10, 06:42 PM
Sorry to hear that, but good you got off so lightly. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

BladeTriple
14-11-10, 07:00 PM
Hi Joe,

glad you came off relatively unscathed and you've had your first spill as a slow one , could've been much worse (involving one of those planks in a cage )

Hope you manage to get your pride and joy fixed up soon and that your bruises are mostly to your pride :)

take good care

Kaz and Lis 'x

redken1
14-11-10, 07:15 PM
Glad to hear you are ok Joe. Roads can be very greasy from now on until the spring. Ride with extra care is the name of the game for all of us on two wheels.

JAYJAY
15-11-10, 12:53 AM
Sorry to hear of your tumble Joe - Hope the knee isn't too painfull and heals quickly.
It's a learning curve we've all been through - tyres don't work quite so well on damp, greasy, salty roads - stay upright mate! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
15-11-10, 08:12 AM
OOps! Did the same myself the day before my test. Glad your ok.

jet92
15-11-10, 11:25 AM
thankyou everyone for your replies [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
im taking it in tomorrow to get it looked at, hopefully it wont be too expensive.
im doing fine now, my leg muscles still ache and the scrape is starting to heal nicely as well. should be fine by next week. :)

Nelly
15-11-10, 12:26 PM
Best of luck to you fella. Hope its easy to fix. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Scotty
15-11-10, 01:42 PM
Hey Joe, glad to hear that you're not too badly hurt, and neither is your bike...
When I were a reckless youth I wore jeans when riding and collected many a scabby knee from various offs throughout the learning process ::) - given your proximity to Swindon it may be a good idea to have a browse round George White's bargain basement section and treat yourself to some leather or textile trousers that have some armour in them - you may be surprised how incredibly cheap some of that stuff is, and some protective gear could save you from far worse than a scabby knee in future... :'(

BladeTriple
15-11-10, 01:46 PM
- given your proximity to Swindon it may be a good idea to have a browse round George White's bargain basement section and treat yourself to some leather or textile trousers that have some armour in them - you may be surprised how incredibly cheap some of that stuff is, and some protective gear could save you from far worse than a scabby knee in future... :'(

[smiley=thumbsup.gif] Agreed Scotty [smiley=thumbsup.gif] You can even get some of their Red Route armoured jeans but textiles probably a bit better in this weather :)

Robf
15-11-10, 06:00 PM

I high sided on a 125 the day of my test(Mod 1), kept being told i wasn't stopping quick enough so grabbed the front brake and went over the handle bars.

Fortunately Mr. Able had a spare bike for me and i went on a passed in the afternoon =), i was wearing a pair of textile trousers that where ripped to shreds at 35mph, jacket had a small tear but defiantly showed me the importance of wearing bike gear.

Glad your ok though Joe

Last Train
15-11-10, 06:43 PM
Good to hear you're OK :)

Chewing tarmac ain't nice

benobiker
15-11-10, 07:16 PM
Glad you didnt get badly hurt! Glad you are ok.. Might not be the most helpful comment now but small offs like that do make you a better riding, mine certainly did. All the best with the repairs for both of you! :)

Caz
15-11-10, 07:48 PM
Hi Joe sorry to hear about your accident but glad your ok. Riding is certainly an on going learning experience and I am just recovering from a broken leg as i too grabbed the front brake too hard ::)

Mark_Able
15-11-10, 09:37 PM

Yep, that were my bike that were... ::)

Mark_Able
15-11-10, 09:39 PM

I high sided on a 125 the day of my test(Mod 1), kept being told i wasn't stopping quick enough so grabbed the front brake and went over the handle bars.

Fortunately Mr. Able had a spare bike for me and i went on a passed in the afternoon =), i was wearing a pair of textile trousers that where ripped to shreds at 35mph, jacket had a small tear but defiantly showed me the importance of wearing bike gear.

Glad your ok though Joe

And that YBR has never quite been the same since... ::)
I won't forget that Rob. You scared the bejesus out of me... :o

Any spill that you walk away from is called a 'learning experience'... [smiley=happy.gif]

Jacde
15-11-10, 09:49 PM
I'm dreading mine :-/ but glad to hear you are ok and well impressed that you jumped straight back on the bike [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Hope bike isn't difficult/expensive to sort and glad it was just a scabby knee :)

jonnydangerous
16-11-10, 10:17 AM
welcome to the world of biking... ;-)
youre a proper biker now, scars to prove it (always exagerate the speed and injuries when telling your mates tho)...
ive even been known to tell people in the pub that my bike scars were "shark bite in newquay surfing horror"!...hahaha

see you out sometime, glad it hasnt put you off :-)

JayDee.

Nico_babe
16-11-10, 10:23 AM
Sorry about the "off" bud. We all have them, and it will just make you aware of what you did wrong so you can work on it and become a better rider [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Geordie Stu
16-11-10, 01:00 PM
Nice to hear your Ok few scrapes & bruises.

Hope you get the bike fixed soon enough & back out [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
16-11-10, 03:02 PM
welcome to the world of biking... ;-)
youre a proper biker now, scars to prove it (always exagerate the speed and injuries when telling your mates tho)...

;D...

And don't forget that chicks love a scar!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Loops
16-11-10, 05:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your crash - it not a nice feeling! I got knocked off my bike during my second week of ownership. Had a slow speed collision between a car bumper and my bike, with my leg in the middle - now that ached for a while!

It's all a learning experience though, you definitely try not to do it again ;)

jet92
16-11-10, 07:45 PM
thanks again everyone for your replies. nice to hear of some of your own events other comments were funny though ;)

i have been taking it careful especially yesterday night and this morning, building back up my confidence on awful road conditions :-/
also because i dont know whats wrong with it yet and dont want to push it.

thanks [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bornagain
23-11-10, 11:58 AM
How you doing Joe? You and the bike all fixed up??
Hope so buddy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jet92
23-11-10, 08:47 PM
Hi, im fine thanks just got a slowly healing scar now which aches abit but what can you do. :)
still dont have my bike back. found out today that to get it repaired to brand new status would cost more than it was when i bought it new. however that price included replacing all the scratched panels which is kind of pointless. :/
i should be going in tomorrow to talk with someone as to what definitely needs replacing and what can be left for now or doesnt need it.

Bornagain
23-11-10, 09:04 PM
Hope it's good news for you tomorrow, i can't imagine what it's like to be bikeless....Even if it's Baltic out there (I had about 5 layers on this Sunday!!)
Good luck buddy, i wouldn't worry too much about the panels, just get it roadworthy and get back in the game [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Toph
23-11-10, 09:11 PM
good luck Joe... hope you're back on the bike very soon buddy!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jet92
24-11-10, 04:15 PM
Hi thanks again everyone for the comments.
Went in today to go over the bike with someone and turns out itll only be about £150 which is far better than what they said last night. They were planning on repairing everthing even if it had the tiniest of scratches. Now theyre only going to replace the mirrow and get a new brake lever for it.
I still dont know how long it will take to get it back but it is definitely annoying not being able to use it.