PDA

View Full Version : SERV Bloodrunners starting in Wiltshire

ro
17-09-10, 03:05 PM
I went to an interesting talk earlier this week about SERV (http://www.serv.org.uk/), the blood bike service. It's "a charitable organisation that delivers blood products to the emergency and accident hospitals across Southern England at night free of charge when official Health Service transportation services don't operate". As it's run by volunteers and funded by donations, they've been building up support gradually area by area, so although it's been going for a long time in some places, it's only just starting in Wiltshire in October (http://www.serv.org.uk/wiltshire/serv-wiltshire.html). The local organiser is Kiel McPhillips and he'd like to hear from anyone interested in helping, either as a rider or in some other way.

I think Kiel is a member of the forum (http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=Moonrakers_EVS ), but hasn't been on for some time.

Ducatista
17-09-10, 03:16 PM
ro - did they mention any required qualifications?

Other groups (like freewheelers) require you to have an advanced motorcycling qualification.
I can't find this info on their website, but would be useful and perhaps stop lots of well meaning but fruitless enquiries.

Dabz
17-09-10, 03:32 PM
it's certainly something that WB can do some fundraising for :)

ro
17-09-10, 03:37 PM
Advanced qualifications are preferred but not required. Volunteers do an assessment ride first anyway and there's also a training course -- they didn't go in to detail about this, so I don't know if it covers riding skills, but they mentioned sticking to specific routes and special medical handling requirements.

SupeRDel
17-09-10, 06:09 PM
One of my mates in the aircooled RD club is a rider in the Gloucester area. He has too have the Advanced Qualification for insurance purposes and they are tested every couple of years

RE03
17-09-10, 08:11 PM
He has too have the Advanced Qualification for insurance purposes and they are tested every couple of years

I am doing my RoSPA test soon in the hope of doing this in my spare time. The only thing stopping me are the points on my licence as, from the bumf I've read about on other counties requirements, you cant have too many as it's a charitable organisation which doesnt want high premiums :'( but it's def. sommat I'd like to put my skills to

....... just in 4 years >:(

SERV_Wiltshire
10-10-10, 01:32 PM
Good Afternoon All,

My name is Kiel McPhillips, and I am the county coordinator for SERV Wiltshire. I was a member of the forum under our old charity name of Moonrakers EVS, but registered again to make things simpler!

Right, onto my replies to the above posts:

ro, I'm glad you enjoyed the presentation, and thank you for posting on here to get us more interest.

First of all, the advanced qualification issue: SERV operates differently to other bloodbike groups (the one around Gloucester is a Freewheelers group) in that our riders can use their own bikes to do runs on. We aim to eventually have all riders on a marked bike, but realistically this may take some time.

To ride for us using your own bike, you must be a full motorcycle licence holder; be adequately insured (check with your insurer that they don't forbid charity work); and pass a standards check ride with our standards officer, who is an IAM Advanced Observer. This does not mean that you must reach IAM standards at this stage, just that he is satisfied you are safe and suitable to ride for us.

When it comes to our marked bike, SERV policy is that all riders must show a willingness to undertake advanced training. This may mean you are already qualified in IAM or RoSPA or simply that you are in the process of having advanced training.

On the subject of driving convictions and claims: Each SERV county has it's own policy, and can use discretion. We will look at the type of conviction, length of ban etc, and decide at county committee level whether the rider should be allowed to ride for us. A check ride should highlight any problems with the riding style anyway.

The training course we run is one dictated by the hospital as a mandatory requirement for handling blood products. It is about 2 hours long and involves a multiple choice test at the end.

We are looking to offer riders extra incentive to join us (in case saving the NHS thousands of pounds a year, and potentially saving lives isn't enough), further details of these will follow but may include dealership discounts for members on clothing etc, and subsidised advanced rider training.

If anybody is interested, we have an induction evening on Thursday 14th Oct (next week), starting at 7pm at Salisbury District Hospital. Our marked Pan European will be there, as this is also the official launch of the service in Wiltshire.

You can check out the website (www.serv.org.uk) - the Wiltshire bit of which I will be updating in a moment as suggested above with our rider requirements; e-mail me at wiltshire@serv.org.uk or give us a call on 07005 938 272.

Many thanks!

Kiel
County Coordinator,
SERV Wiltshire

SERV - It's what we do.

KP
10-10-10, 01:44 PM
a well worthy cause, and something i would love to be involved with and support [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

SERV_Wiltshire
10-10-10, 02:46 PM
Hi Kev,

Are you intending coming over on Thursday? If you want any more information, you can e-mail me at wiltshire@serv.org.uk any time and I'll get back to you asap.

Cheers

Kiel
County Coordinator,
SERV Wiltshire

SERV - It's what we do.

RE03
10-10-10, 05:51 PM
On the subject of driving convictions and claims: Each SERV county has it's own policy, and can use discretion. We will look at the type of conviction, length of ban etc, and decide at county committee level whether the rider should be allowed to ride for us. A check ride should highlight any problems with the riding style anyway.

Hi Kiel,
Thanks for your section above, maybe all is not lost, unfortunately I can't get to the presentation in Salisbury for 7pm but am still very interested.
How do I proceed from here?
Any help very much appreciated
Rob

SERV_Wiltshire
10-10-10, 07:38 PM
Hi Rob,

Can you make it at all on Thursday? It may be worth coming down for a casual chat at some point in the evening if you're around?

If not, if you fill in an application form (download and print from the following https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B2LKjO1tvJINODAxM2U0ZTktZTdmNi00M2Q2L Tg3ODYtM2E5NWE4YThhMWUz&hl=en_GB) and e-mail it to me, wiltshire@serv.org.uk , and I'll keep you updated on the location of the next induction and training evening, which won't be too far away.

Anybody else interested in coming on Thu can also download and fill in that form and bring it with you to save you filling it in on the evening.

Many thanks,

Kiel
County Coordinator,
SERV Wiltshire

SERV - It's what we do.

RE03
10-10-10, 09:54 PM
Hey Kiel
I will print off those sheets and try and scoot off from work a bit early and, as you say, come and have a chat.
Whereabouts in SDH will the meeting be? or just follow the signs?
Cheers
Rob

SERV_Wiltshire
10-10-10, 10:02 PM
If you enter through the main entrance at SDH, and follow the SERV signs up to the Education Suite. We'll be in there. Don't worry about e-mailing that form over, I forgot it was a .pdf now. You can bring it with you on Thur. Any idea of what time you'll be there?

SERV_Wiltshire
10-10-10, 10:06 PM
Hi Rob, just noticed your profile says you're in Bristol - SERV Wiltshire doesn't cover that far West - we do do runs to Bristol from Salisbury, but it may be worth checking out the following site to see who your local group is: www.bloodbikes.org.uk (the Wiltshire bit is still not coloured in, but it will shortly be green). It may turn out to be Freewheelers?

Thanks

RE03
10-10-10, 10:43 PM
, but it may be worth checking out the following site to see who your local group is: www.bloodbikes.org.uk (the Wiltshire bit is still not coloured in, but it will shortly be green). It may turn out to be Freewheelers?

Thanks

Thanks for the info Kiel, I have over a message to the Freewheelers instead, lets see what happens!
Thanks for your help
Rob

Morticia
12-10-10, 05:11 PM
Hi Rob, just noticed your profile says you're in Bristol - SERV Wiltshire doesn't cover that far West - we do do runs to Bristol from Salisbury, but it may be worth checking out the following site to see who your local group is: www.bloodbikes.org.uk (the Wiltshire bit is still not coloured in, but it will shortly be green). It may turn out to be Freewheelers?

Thanks

I'm in Swindon, is there any point in me coming then?

SERV_Wiltshire
12-10-10, 05:59 PM
[quote author=Morticia link=1284732309/15#15 date=1286899898
I'm in Swindon, is there any point in me coming then?
[/quote]

Ah, I just replied to you on the other thread! Yes, Swindon is fine. We are working with Freewheelers at the moment to define our working areas, and I cant really say much more than that until the details are finalised. It's fair to say we are taking on riders from Swindon at the moment, as there is a gap in the coverage around there.

Cheers, see you Thursday!

DaytonaDog
12-10-10, 06:09 PM
I'm hoping to come to the presentation on Thursday too, all being well. Really interested in volunteering and doing my bit to help.

garvey2003
18-10-10, 11:19 AM
I had my name for this but with me living 1 hr 20 minutes, plus my bike not really suitable to carry blood and not having passed any advanced riding I had to pull out.

Shame as I really wanted to do it. It looks like its going to cost me around 180 to do an advanced riding assessment then put in for a test. Once my new baby is born then the good lady said we might be able to pay for it :)

Fingers crossed for the future.
Garv :)

Ducatista
18-10-10, 01:11 PM
It looks like its going to cost me around 180 to do an advanced riding assessment then put in for a test.

Out of interest where did that figure come from?

The IAM do a split payment scheme so you can spread the cost (there is a £5 admin charge).
With ROSPA (in Swindon) there is a lot less to pay up front (£25) and you don't have to pay for the test (£54) until you apply.

So there are ways of splitting/spreading the payments with both.

garvey2003
18-10-10, 10:39 PM
popped in to Riding In Action in swindon at the weekend. the guy quoted me 180 for a days assessment then he would sort me out for the test.

As I ride every day for work etc, its something I've always wanted to do but never have the cash to take it up.

Payment plans now thats something I need to look into :)

Ducatista
19-10-10, 10:38 AM
The £180 is for a days training.
It looks to me that you'll have to pay for the test on top.
I don't know the cost with Diamond but the ROSPA test is £54 on top and IAM don't sell the test seperately so you would have to buy the £139 package. It looks like they have connections with the Diamond system, but bear in mind you'll have to pay for the test also.

It's more drawn out but have you considered doing it with IAM or ROSPA?
The difference between them and Riding in Action is that they are voluntary so it's a bit cheaper, it'll be drawn out over a longer period (usually 6 months rather than one day) and you'll probably get a lot more coaching time albeit from volunteers and not professionals.

Perhaps you want to do the "fast track", but it's an option to consider.
IAM is £139 or you can split it into two payments (2nd on taking your test for an admin fee of £5). Your volunteers expenses are £7 per time, which if you spend half a day with them doesn't really cover their petrol, so it's really a nomial contribution.
ROSPA who are based in Swindon are £25 to join, £10 expenses per ride and £54 for the test.
With both schemes you get as many rides as you need (average is 7 or 8) so it's a bit like having 4 days training instead of 1.
They have a shortfall of tutors right now at ROSPA and a waiting list, but they are hoping to fix that on Sunday as they are training more tutors.

It is more drawn out over a longer period I would agree, so you have to compare more time and a longer period with volunteers versus the fast track which has the pros of being quicker but a possibly con of less coaching time overall.

I'm not trying to persuade you in any direction as there are definite benefits from using professionals but there is some information there for you to consider which may help you get started more quickly.

garvey2003
19-10-10, 12:49 PM
ROSPA option seems like it would fit my costings.
as in £10 for a ride is very good.
Not that bothered as to who trains me as long as its not going to break the bank :)

Thank you for the info, Think I will look into ROSPA option [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Robf
19-10-10, 02:06 PM
Garvey, i'm currently doing the IAM, skills for life course and it has really appealed to me, i've noticed a huge difference in my riding, from when i started. I also ride daily like you and you can definatly pick up bad habbits very quickly, i would reccommend doing either IAM or ROSPA, although the £139 for the IAM course looks like alot, when you sign up you get a years membership and your test fees included in that, and for £7 a ride it's not expensive either.

freddieb
24-10-10, 09:43 PM
For anyone still interested in volunteering for SERV as a rider or controller or fundraiser, I am hoping to be at the Sally on Thurs night. I'll have the bike with me so you can all cast a eye over it and I'll try and answer any questions you may have regarding SERV. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

coopmick
24-10-10, 10:03 PM
For anyone still interested in volunteering for SERV as a rider or controller or fundraiser, I am hoping to be at the Sally on Thurs night. I'll have the bike with me so you can all cast a eye over it and I'll try and answer any questions you may have regarding SERV. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
I'll be with Fred too just in case he has to disappear as he is on call that night.

ChrisJo
26-10-10, 08:20 AM
Hi

I was a member of Freewheelers for about 4 years when I lived in Somerset, they covered from Taunton up to Bristol and at the time were using ex-police Pan's (even the ST1300), all marked up and with blue lights and sirens!

Being an advanced ticket holder with Freewheelers is a must, but if you do want to go that route I feel RoSpa is better, but unless you get a gold pass (something you will not get on a first attempt) then your insurance company will not give you a discount, but go IAM which is a simple pass or fail then your insurance cpmpany will give you a discount!

I did both, got a Silver on my first attempt from RoSpa, which I thought good seeing as at the time I had just changed bikes and was riding a 2 week old FJR1300.

In any event this is a worth while cause to become involved with.

ATB

Chris

RE03
20-11-10, 09:31 PM
Hi

.... but unless you get a gold pass (something you will not get on a first attempt)....

I just did [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] I is very 'appy [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CharleyX
20-11-10, 10:18 PM
CONGRATULATIONS ......... HAPPY.... so you should be [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nooj
20-11-10, 11:11 PM
but unless you get a gold pass (something you will not get on a first attempt)
The Missus got gold on her first attemptl, though it's lapsed now and she needs to do the re-test.

Re: the blood bikes, do you know if there are there any openings in West Berkshire or North Hants?

YMFB
21-11-10, 08:07 AM
I have no idea whether there are vacancies but if it helps the SERV website is www.Serv.org.uk and On the right Gand side is a link to each county.

SERV_Wiltshire
23-11-10, 08:40 PM
The Missus got gold on her first attemptl, though it's lapsed now and she needs to do the re-test.

Re: the blood bikes, do you know if there are there any openings in West Berkshire or North Hants?
Hi Nooj, if you want to PM me with more of a specific location, I can hopefully point you in the right direction for people to contact,
Freddie [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

SERVHants
25-11-10, 05:30 PM

Hi Nooj, if you want to PM me with more of a specific location, I can hopefully point you in the right direction for people to contact,
Freddie [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hello, just seen this. I am Recruitment Officer for SERV Hampshire and we do indeed need rider volunteers in North Hampshire (and elsewhere), so if you live in Hampshire let me know.

Geoff

recruitment@servhampshire.org.uk

Beamer
25-11-10, 08:49 PM
Welcome Geoff to WB.......might be worth bunging this bit of info up on the new member bit as some people might miss it here....you'll get a massive welcome there too hehe [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;D ;D ;D