PDA

View Full Version : Bike Aid

RachaelEllen
07-09-10, 06:00 PM
As i'm still an invalid i'm unable to ride my bike in for it's MoT over at Bike Aid in trowbridge tomorrow. SBQE2 is going to drop it over in the morning, so was just wondering if anybody knew when they opened up, as the earlier the better for us. We went over this afternoon to see if we could store it there overnight but they were closed by 4pm :-?

CBRowner
07-09-10, 06:13 PM
Just looked on their website and they don't have an opening time on there.

Here's their link anyway http://www.bikeaidwiltshire.co.uk/

Your best bet is to ring them from about 8am [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bonnielass
07-09-10, 06:40 PM
Have I missed something? Why are you an invalid?

Beamer
07-09-10, 06:49 PM
As i'm still an invalid i'm unable to ride my bike in for it's MoT over at Bike Aid in trowbridge tomorrow. SBQE2 is going to drop it over in the morning, so was just wondering if anybody knew when they opened up, as the earlier the better for us. We went over this afternoon to see if we could store it there overnight but they were closed by 4pm :-?

When Kev was told to drop his off the day b4 his M.O.T they said they'd be open til 5pm but were shut when he got there so he left it with another 'shop' round the corner.....and I rang the 'shop' next day at 9.15 and they werent open....I think they just do the hours they want hun......might be worth ringing until they answer the phone, before you leave home or you could be sat there a while :( :(

RachaelEllen
07-09-10, 06:56 PM
Yeah they seem to be a bit casual ha! Rosie, i had 2 minor operations (nothing bike related) and now i can't really walk let alone ride :( but i am praying i will be better in time for Isle of Wight, i'll be gutted if i can't go!

Jon_W
08-09-10, 07:59 AM
I can get hold of them if needed. As far as I'm aware they dont have fixed opening times. I'd think after 10am you'll get through.

RachaelEllen
08-09-10, 12:38 PM
I've just had my MoT done with Bike Aid. The guys wife only came out of hospital at 4 am this morning from having his baby but he was still there to do my bike! he was really lovely, and very helpful and i would recommend him again! ( he even gave me a sticker ;D)

P.s the bike passed, but with warnings on both my tyres..oops!

Jon_W
08-09-10, 12:41 PM
They are a good bunch there. Never heard a bad word yet.

Will have to have a chat next time.... I didn't get a sticker with my MoT!! >:( :D

Good news with the bike!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] another 12 months motoring!

Green Man
08-09-10, 12:45 PM
I've just had my MoT done with Bike Aid. The guys wife only came out of hospital at 4 am this morning from having his baby but he was still there to do my bike! he was really lovely, and very helpful and i would recommend him again! ( he even gave me a sticker ;D)

P.s the bike passed, but with warnings on both my tyres..oops!

Hi rach glad you got it done eventually back on the road again well when your fully fit get well soon all the best Colin
[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bornagain
08-09-10, 03:29 PM
I didn't get a sticker either!!! or a lolly, but i got a nice tyre though [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CBRowner
08-09-10, 04:48 PM
I may have to give them a shout and get my Honda through an MOT.

Are they really strict or do they take into consideration age and effort gone in to the bike?? :-?

RachaelEllen
08-09-10, 05:24 PM
Emlyn, Colin (Green man) recommended them to me because he said they're fairly laid back. I hadn't realised but the last MoT picked up the rear tyre and he just gave me another warning today, so don't sound too fussy. Make sure you get your sticker too! ;D

bobf279
08-09-10, 08:30 PM
I use Phil Stokes Motorcycles in Westbury for my MOT's good guy and firm but fair, he also runs Westbury Fieldsports.

Snowy
08-09-10, 11:40 PM
I may have to give them a shout and get my Honda through an MOT.

Are they really strict or do they take into consideration age and effort gone in to the bike?? :-?

It's best if they do it fairly - I would want to know if there's something wrong with my bike, rather than hoping they miss or ignore things. The age of the bike and any effort you have put into it is meaningless if it's broken, dangerous or illegal.

Jon_W
09-09-10, 08:20 AM
Bike Aid are fair and senseable. They're honest and will tell you if it's wrong.

CBRowner
09-09-10, 09:43 AM
I just don't want to take my bike to someone for them to suck air through their teeth, take a step back and say "that's going to be expensive".

I've had bad experience with both cowboy MOTer's and by those that look at me, think I'm a dumb young lad then screw me over.

It's nice to hear good things from people though, I'm now going to book my MOT and wait for the list of faults to come back ;D

Geordie Stu
09-09-10, 04:28 PM
Used Aid a few times for bikes. Top Bloke. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Scotty
09-09-10, 06:41 PM
The amount of effort put into preparing a bike is irrelevant if it's still not fit to pass. Getting a bike through an MoT is a piece of piss compared with a 4-wheel vehicle - as long as all the electrics work, all the chassis bearings and suspension are OK (and not leaking), brakes good enough, exhaust not offensive or blowing and no obviously dangerous faults it should breeze through - easy one to get picked up on is missing a rear reflector, some places are hot on it, others less so...
If the bike's a shonker in the first place then you'll have a harder job getting it through, simples!

THE_SALESMAN
12-09-10, 11:32 AM
I'm surprized! I have a totally different view to bike aid it seems than anyone else here! The blokes there seem good but I've found out there not as good as they seem, when I had a gillera runner 125 they said I needed numerous parts which I coughed up the cash for and over the time of 1 month I spent in excess of 300 and it came back unfixed! There advice was replace the parts again! (so it ran for 10 miles) and then sell it onto somone who didn't have a clue about bikes ( sounds like a top bloke to me lol).

Reluctanly I went back there about a month ago to see if they could quickly tighten my chain as I didn't have the tools to do it :( they then said that I needed a new chain n sprocket (fair enuff) but they then quoted me £150 + just for the parts! It wasn't untill I went to nuts for bikes n they had a look at it and said the sprocketts fine although u should change them together and quoted me about a ton for it!

Seemed to me they were just out to get some extra work considering I'm not the most knowlegeble person in regards to bikes lol

I petsonally wouldn't use them again! (another thing the stickers are a bit ironic aswell considering it's a skull which has the kinda pirate theme going on with it!)

ktm_man
14-09-10, 11:25 AM
Yeah cant say ive had great experiences with them and it wasnt even my bike i was picking up from there.. A few mates have been taken to the cleaners at that place :/, a little knowledge goes a long way eh !

Bornagain
28-09-10, 05:43 PM
Used Aid a few times for bikes. Top Bloke. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

After the 20-30 hours of work done to the bike it all paid off (Colin, Justin Viper [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif])
Bike aid were spot on, can't fault them, that's both bikes i've had work on down there now and both times the service has been great - Ade even has patience with my daft questions and there's a couple of times when i could have been ripped off by asking for work to be done, only for Ade to say it's not necessary.

For tyres and MOT's (thats what i've had done) - Highly recommended [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BladeTriple
28-09-10, 09:26 PM
Ade has always been spot on with us 2 be it MOTs changing tyres or servicing on older machines and is happy to let you watch him work if you want to pick up hints and tips for doing the easier stuff . always ready to help and a good laugh too. . I have heard negative stuff but never personally experienced any

smellygerm
28-09-10, 09:40 PM
me too the guy is so friendly, cups of tea and coffee,and he likes my bike so ner basil ,this guy knows his stuff , him got taste ;D ;D ;D

wi77y
28-09-10, 11:44 PM
i've also used him with my last bike n had no probs ever so helpfull and good bloke if you need advice n tips n cheap for me only cos my dad spent to much there in past har !

Bornagain
02-12-10, 08:04 AM
Did a cracking job on the XR, full overall check with good advice and sorted what needed sorting, gave me an in depth explanation of work carried out and why (i ask daft questions!!!) MOT'd & serviced and ready to rock n' roll.
The bike is like brand new.....Now lets get shot of this snow and ice and GET IT ON!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

The 6 is in soon for a new rear tyre....already :o :o

Hunar
02-12-10, 09:41 AM
I have heard mixed reports, good and bad, but the bad reports are about as bad as they get, but this usually tends to be more on the more complicated jobs.

The view I have on the so far is OK for a basic service and MOT but thats about it.

After some of the horror stories I have heard from friends, I wouldn't touch them with a 10ft pole, seems to be more of a gamble than anythign else. You may come away with what you want, but a few times it has cost people ALOT more than they originally got quoted, and after much money has changed hands they got a second opinion that either said the work didn't need to be done, or the subsequent problems where due to the lack of experiance or knowledge when fixing the first problem.