PDA

View Full Version : Leathers for a short person!

Squashed_Fly
28-11-10, 05:27 PM
went to George Whites today to try on some leathers - 2 and 1 piece.

Trouble I have is that 1 piece seem to be designed for the slimmer man who doesn't bulge out around the midriff.

But the main issue was that they all seemed long in the leg. The knee armour ended up about an inch or 2 below the knee, and the sliders way too far down. Even when sat in the 'sports position'. I can get them taken up a little to compensate for being too long - but that doesn't solve the fact the armour is as good as useless sat where it is, should I land on my knees after an off!

Anyone else have this issue? I'm not 'that' short - 5'6. I can't be the only guy that has this problem? The staff at GWs said they don't do any leathers in short leg sizes anymore!

Anyone know where I can get some? or have some in good condition for sale? (46 chest!)

BladeTriple
28-11-10, 09:28 PM
Dude welcome to my world they don't tend to do womens leathers for the tall slim chick ! At 5ft11 with 34 inch legs I end up buying guys leathers for the height and then have them hang off me like a sack of $h1t ! You could do what Hunky Biker (stumpy biker) does and buy a set of black womens leathers instead you shouldn't have the length issue then

Sorry I can't help more

Lis'

Jacde
28-11-10, 10:20 PM
There's Cobra leathers in Swindon that tailor leathers, not used them but heard good things and have 2 piece that need major tailoring as I'm short and stumpy, knee protection is ankle protection on me!

Squashed_Fly
29-11-10, 07:42 AM
Jac, perhaps we might get a discount if we put 2 sets in together... I was gonna buy mine at end of jan, or poss at the feb bike show in london... Textiles until then!

Squashed_Fly
29-11-10, 07:44 AM
Forgot to add lis, i did look at womens, but none with sliders...

Mitch9128
29-11-10, 10:22 AM

Do you get your knee down regular then? I have a mate who rides a BMW GS, he wears sliders, WTF! I can only imagine he keeps his werthers in them. What's the point in having them, 99% of people with them never get their knee down and certainly not on the road.

Ducatista
29-11-10, 10:51 AM
If you can afford it you could look at getting some made.

More money but remember that the proctection offered relies on a decent fit so that all the armour is in the right places.
Basic rule is get the best you can afford.

Another option is getting them off the peg and then altered.

Squashed_Fly
29-11-10, 11:02 AM
That's what I'm going to do. Spoke to the lady at Stallion leathers this morning and it's £60 to do a tailored leg shortening so that the armour sits correctly which is a lot less than buying made to measure ones at almost £1200! I just can't justify that when it's only for some enthusiastic road riding and the odd track day. For road riding, leather only protects your slide, not your impact with walls/other vehicles etc

probably going to get some revitt ones I think....

Squashed_Fly
29-11-10, 11:06 AM

Do you get your knee down regular then? I have a mate who rides a BMW GS, he wears sliders, WTF! I can only imagine he keeps his werthers in them. What's the point in having them, 99% of people with them never get their knee down and certainly not on the road.

I will do in the summer! my old sliders from riding my RS125 got a bit scratched up. Nothing too drastic, but I've a lot more confidence in the ninja so hopefully the trackdays next summer will see me wear down a set or 2!

Ducatista
29-11-10, 12:01 PM
which is a lot less than buying made to measure ones at almost £1200!

You can get a set made for half that price, but the route you're going down is probably best for you.

Snowy
29-11-10, 08:41 PM

Here's a 1200GS Adventure (a big beastie) with optional knee sliders ;) It's not mine (or me) because I have the faster version (as it's red) and I don't want to scratch the magnesium rocker covers on mine. BTW - they are not road tyres on that bike either :o

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k494/Graeme_Scott/1200kneedown.jpg

Sapphire
29-11-10, 08:58 PM
Great pic Beamerman,

jaagsxr
29-11-10, 09:04 PM
i am sure i could do that on my gs ??

jaagsxr
29-11-10, 09:14 PM
]

does this count??

newnut
29-11-10, 09:44 PM
dude have you tried alpinestars? i think they come up short, but maybe thats jus me, knee sliders dont actually sit on ya knees, they are below and to the side. just a thought, dunno if that helps u.

Scotty
29-11-10, 11:37 PM
does this count??
Erm, I think you're supposed to still be on the bike when your knee's on the deck for it to count... ::) ::) ::)

BladeTriple
30-11-10, 06:28 AM

I did read (not sure how accurate) but the part that your slider covers is giving it more protection in a prang, the article said if a car hits that part of your knee its almost irrepairable so even if you have virgin sliders they do serve a purpose :)

Mitch9128
30-11-10, 06:49 AM
Yeah yeah :D We all know GS riders have sliders, to bang their pipe against ;)

Snowy
30-11-10, 07:41 AM
Yeah yeah :D We all know GS riders have sliders, to bang their pipe against ;)

C'mon Mitch, become a believer...... another picture for you...... GS's ROCK!!!!

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k494/Graeme_Scott/gs.jpg

Mitch9128
30-11-10, 10:06 AM
If only they didn't look like the insides of a cooker that someone's thrown down the stairs!!

Snowy
30-11-10, 06:02 PM
If only they didn't look like the insides of a cooker that someone's thrown down the stairs!!

I have heard it quoted that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... ;)

I'm the first to admit my GS has an ugly mug but that's all part of its charm plus it means I don't prang the thing because I'm not ogling myself in the reflection in shop windows as I ride past ;D ;D ;D

jaagsxr
30-11-10, 08:46 PM
hear earrr i an one of the converted when it comes to the gs spell "just a great all round bike" 8-)

does this count ?
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2052/179/24/1473769687/n1473769687_30208080_4228.jpg

Caz
01-12-10, 09:10 PM
Great pics guys [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jaagsxr
01-12-10, 09:29 PM
thats me that is !!!! :D

Scotty
01-12-10, 11:05 PM
thats me that is !!!! :D
Yeah, but it still isn't a GS though... ;)

jaagsxr
02-12-10, 05:08 PM
sounds like one ....miss firing :-/ lol

Bornagain
03-12-10, 04:22 PM
Cracking photos [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nooj
06-12-10, 10:03 PM
http://www.alpenschatz.com/Store/lederhosen/Andechs%20Meindl%20Lederhosen.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/funnies/lederhosen.jpg

Jon_W
07-12-10, 08:10 AM
Being dull...

I have similar problems Squashe Fly. I'm a grand 5'7 and 65kg's in weight. I've never found leathers that fit, they are either stupudly baggy or so tight across the shoulders and round the neck that I can't move or breathe....

I've found two piece leathers a good fit, the advantage being you can mix and match the size of the trousers and jacket....

Kevinb
07-12-10, 08:55 AM
Try being 6'5" and 300lb plus. I'm waiting for a company that can sew a herd of cows together. ;D