PDA

View Full Version : Prejudice.

Mark_Able
07-12-10, 08:42 PM
Whilst sitting in the car on the way to yet another Christmas shopping trip, me and 'er indoors were listening to a debate on Radio 2 about a group of black people who were asked to pre-pay in a Pizza Hut cos the management didn't like the look of them. I know this may not seem to have a link to bikes, but I remember being asked to pre-pay in a petrol station in Cardiff cos of the number of people nicking fuel. At the time I was livid, and told the management what I thought of their policy, bearing in mind, the most fuel I could get away with would be about £15 worth, compared to the average car at about £70. Add to the fact I was on a liveried bike (CSM Rider Training plastered all over it). Regardless of whether I would run out of fuel or not, I refused to pre-pay and rode on to the next petrol station. What made me particularly incensed was them announcing it over the forecourt tanoy, which made me feel like a criminal. Since then, I have refused to remove my helmet when paying, although I always have my wallet out ready to pay (not a gun). They can take my money with my helmet on, or not take it at all as far as I'm concerned.

I did also have an experience many years ago where my girlfriend and I were caught by the landlord as we walked into a busy beer garden, and ordered to leave before we had even set foot in the pub.

Has anyone else suffered such prejudice? >:(

Beamer
07-12-10, 09:23 PM
oh yes....... I was planning a trip for a severely disabled young man to Cotswold Wildlife Park (yes, i will name and shame)
I rang to find out ticket prices....to be told he would have to pay for 2 people (himself and carer). Now I could have paid for myself but my argument is why should a man, who cannot walk or eat unaided have to pay twice for a 'luxury' that an able bodied person takes for granted?? 'Do you provide carers then?' was my next question as this would reduce the cost for him, No was the reply.
I asked how they could justify the fact that he would have to pay double to visit a place he would love to be able to visit alone if it were possible..... they said too many people pretend to be disabled!!!!
I said the wheelchair and physical appearance were a slight give-away ( I was beginning to get slighty cross by this point). She explained some people 'say' they have unseen disabilities etc and so its hard to tell if they are or not (I can see the point she was trying to make but could not seem to get her to understand what severe physical disabilities are)
And no we never went as the person in question could not afford it and neither could I.
And yet other places like Longleat, The Bird Sanctuary at Andover (to name a few) make concessions and go overboard for their disabled visitors.

bobf279
07-12-10, 10:17 PM
I have been refused service in a pub when I was much younger cos my mrs looked too young, she doesn't drink anyway so it would have been the usual lemonade and lime.

I calais I had to hand in a credit card before they would switch the pump on but then it was the same for everyone.

I think it was digusting Beamer how CWP acted, not as if it would hit their profit margin is it?

redken1
07-12-10, 10:57 PM
Many retail outlets in probably every town and city across the country discriminate against the younger generation on a daily basis. Signs such as, "Only two children allowed in shop at one time" are commonplace. Three years ago when my daughter was 15, she entered a well known store in Bristol with the intention of buying a Christmas present for her lovely old Dad. At this point a shop assistant pounced and advised her that because she was under 16 she could not come in to the store unless accompanied by an adult. I went back to the store to challenge their blatant age discriminatory policy. The store manager informed me that the policy was introduced to tackle shop-lifting. I responded by suggesting that the store should consider banning everyone from all age groups, as some adults also steal from shops. >:(

wiltshire builders
07-12-10, 11:12 PM
My friend Neil who is fast aproaching the big 5 0 was refused entry to a bar in bath because the jumper he was wearing had a hood on it. The doorman was very apologetic but said those were the rules.

Invariably these rules are set by people who have very little experience with the people they are supposed to be serving.

Leave it Ken, leave it............ ;D

redken1
07-12-10, 11:16 PM
My friend Neil who is fast aproaching the big 5 0 was refused entry to a bar in bath because the jumper he was wearing had a hood on it. The doorman was very apologetic but said those were the rules.

Invariably these rules are set by people who have very little experience with the people they are supposed to be serving.

Leave it Ken, leave it............ ;D

Ye sound advice mate, I could fill a few pages on this subject - perhaps I should go on the Old gits thread and have a moan. lol ;D

Nooj
08-12-10, 12:17 AM
We got called over the station tanoy to take out lids off before the pump would be turned on in Southampton (on the main drag down by the docks). Apparently kids on scooters were riding off without paying. We clearly were't kids and weren't on scooters, but still were subjected to this ****.

I usually take my lid off anyway as I can't hear what the shop dude is saying to me with it on and earplugs in, either that or go to a pay-at-pump place if I know there's one near, but surely in this day and age it's a bit crap to discriminated against bikers as so many of us are rich well-to-do middle aged professionals, especially because of something a kid on a scooter has done.

Heard a good story from a biker who was also a doctor. Him and his mate got turned away from a pub they'd stopped at for a meal as they were on their bikes, with some "we don't serve your kind in here" type of comment.

Not long after he was out on some event with other medical types in suits in a coach and stopped at the same place. The manager was pleased to see so many customers coming in, anticipating a good turnover of cash, but didn't recognise the guy he'd previously turned away.

The biker (now in suited doctor mode) was heading the party, walked up to the manager, said "You'll let me in now I'm in a suit, but you wouldn't serve me the other day when I came in on my bike would you?" The manager started to recognise the biker and make excuses.

The biker turned round said to his party and said "They don't serve bikers in here, so refused me service the other day, I suggest we go somewhere else where we'll all be welcome" and led them all back out to the coach.

Scotty
08-12-10, 07:49 AM
Back in the early '80s I frequented a pub in a village near to the farm where I worked, went there fairly often. A year or so later I turned up one evening with a few mates on bikes (not a crowd, no more than three or four bikes) and we were told by the landlord that we could only come in if we parked the bikes out of sight round the back. As we'd specifically ridden 20 miles to get there we grudgingly complied as it was worth it once inside, the real ales and Thai food were excellent (and remained so when I last visited the place about four years ago). Fortunately we don't get so many of the old prejudices any more, but if I'm ever asked to remove my helmet at a filling station I take my money elsewhere >:( If they have cameras then they've got your number already, and the absurd thing is being asked to remove the lid after filling up in order to pay FFS! ::)

Squashed_Fly
08-12-10, 07:56 AM
I personally don't mind too much if that happens. If I get asked to remove my helmet, I just do it. The guy behind the counter/business owner doesn't know the difference and he's just protecting his interests. We have to accept that there are a large number of motorcyclists (albeit probably chavy ped boys) that do drive off without paying, and I'm sure the pub owner in question had issues with some bikers at some point and rather than take the risk again, he just says no. It should be our job to respectfully remove our helmets, or when you go in to the pub in a suit, to politely explain. That way you stand a chance of changing attitudes.

I consider it part of my job to try to chnge attitudes towards bikers by dealing with these situations respectfully, and in a way not 'typically associated with bikers'. Sadly, we are part of a stereotype. And while the majority of us here may not fit that stereotype, the reason that they exist is becuase a lot of people do. It's the same for black people, gay people etc

I heard that story on the radio abuot the black Rugby players and thought they were stupid. Had they have poitely accepted that a significant portion of young criminals were black, hence why the manager was just being cautious, and paid a deposit ahead of their meal, then the managers attitude may have been changed. Now he has his back up and probably feels he was quite right to ask for payment up front.

The only story here I feel that really was bad, is the case of Cotswold wildlife park. In that case, it wouldn't have seriously damaged them to let them both in, even if the disability was faked. My other half and I are going the process of registering to become respite foster carers for disabled children, and that's terrible behaviour for a family park.

This thread is entitled PREJUDICE. Are any of the peoples examples here really prejudice, or are they calculated decisions based on their experiences, or images portrayed in our media? Perhaps that amounts to the same thing....

Jon_W
08-12-10, 08:07 AM
. Since then, I have refused to remove my helmet when paying, although I always have my wallet out ready to pay (not a gun). They can take my money with my helmet on, or not take it at all as far as I'm concerned.

Ditto. I detest having to remove my lid. Have got the open face for this...

My only expierence was after I hit a dog on the way home a few years back. The coppers were called, the owners of the dog admitted it was their fault for not having it on a lead, a off duty copper witnessed the accident and gave her account, but I got pulled into the car, questioned, age, insurance, lisence, how fast was i going and then read the riot act.... For doing bugger all bar fall off and see an animal killed..... made my blood boil.... >:(

On a different note, a guy I worked with when I was an apprentice rode a scooter into work. He bought a brand new one and was riding in when the coppers pulled him. According to the guy, the copper got out with a grin on his face and asked "where's your L plates sunny?" The guy removed his had and commented that he didn't need L plates, the copper recoiled and cleared off.

The guy was 63 years old and had been riding since he was a teenager... ;D

wiltshire builders
08-12-10, 10:25 AM
This thread is entitled PREJUDICE. Are any of the peoples examples here really prejudice, or are they calculated decisions based on their experiences, or images portrayed in our media? Perhaps that amounts to the same thing....

It is the same thing. We all pre-judge people based on previous experiences, it's human nature. It doesn't make it any easier to take though.
Everyone who posted has been made to feel crappy by the mis-informed actions of someone else. No-one has the right to do that. A little tact would have saved spoiling their day.

Squashed_Fly
08-12-10, 10:29 AM
But I'm willing to bet everyone who posted, has their own prejudices and incorrect pre-conceptions as well. I know I do. I'm always hypocritical if I tell other people off for being judgemental, because deep down, I know I do it myself. The only reason I don't have the prejudices listed above, is because I know better. But I do have others. My motto is better safe than sorry, and I think that's all these people are doing.

Chappers
08-12-10, 11:13 AM
I agree with SF. We don't hear any complaint about removing helmets and balaclava's when bikers go into a bank or post office so what's the difference?

A petrol forecourt is run on miniscule profit margins but is frequently targetted by little sh!ts on bikes / scooters who keep their helmets on so the CCTV can't get a look at them. Recording number plates on off-roaders or stolen bikes or putting the risk on the forecourt to find out which 'mate borrowed' the bike is not good enough for me.

If I was losing money and putting my livelihood at risk, I would take reasonable precautions against it, like asking people to show their faces before I give them access to the goods I am selling. Beyond being common sense, this is probably a recommendation from the police and a requirement from their insurers.

I do find it funny that tough hardened bikers can brave sub-zero temperatures, ride through gales and torrential rainfall ... but get in a strop because they are asked to remove their helmets before getting fuel! ;D

Jon_W
08-12-10, 12:28 PM
I do find it funny that tough hardened bikers can brave sub-zero temperatures, ride through gales and torrential rainfall ... but get in a strop because they are asked to remove their helmets before getting fuel! ;D

It isn't funny when your freezing cold and or soaking wet and having to remove layers of soaked or freezing cloathing to remove a freezing or soaked hat for two minuites....

Squashed_Fly
08-12-10, 12:50 PM

It isn't funny when your freezing cold and or soaking wet and having to remove layers of soaked or freezing cloathing to remove a freezing or soaked hat for two minuites....

You could always drive there in the warmth of the car and fill up a jerry can? Sorry, tat sounds like I'm being rude, but I'm just trying to be objective. There are always other options. We choose to ride, and we must accept what comes with it. one of those things is the fact that it's easy to ride off after filling up if you're safe in the knowledge your fact can't be seen on camera. As a biker, if it were my fuel station, I'd still ask people to remove their lids. I'd do it politely and respectfully, and if the rider in question felt so put out by that, I'd happily guide them to another fuel station. In the 11 years I've been riding, I've only actually been asked to remove my lid 4 times when fuelling. So it's not really that much of a hardship...

StreetHippo
08-12-10, 01:15 PM
Instead of lid, insert Burka, they don't remove theirs, should we? I can play both sides ::)

Stu

Mitch9128
08-12-10, 02:25 PM
Instead of lid, insert Burka, they don't remove theirs, should we? I can play both sides ::)

Stu

You wear a helmet on religious grounds then?

Ducatista
08-12-10, 02:33 PM
Wouldn't it simply be easier simply to go to the pay@pump?
They don't need you to take your helmet off as they've got your credit card in advance.

BladeTriple
08-12-10, 03:31 PM
I do find it funny that tough hardened bikers can brave sub-zero temperatures, ride through gales and torrential rainfall ... but get in a strop because they are asked to remove their helmets before getting fuel! ;D I tend to use 'Pay at the pump and they've got a sad on there too... FFS I'd have to have mugged someone for their keys and their purse to get away with that one!

Part of what peeves me with this is what a faff on I have putting my hair back up . When I stop and take my lid off after riding I'm happy enough or store a little brush under my pillion seat, I have shoulder length hair a long fringe too and its a real feck on to put it back up... So why should I uncover my head and face for 2 minutes to satisfy some spotty urchin dispensing fuel to add another 5 mins of faff onto my journey messing around with my barnet? And no I'm not going to cut it off, I'd look like a butch lezzer! >:(

Maybe I should start wearing a religious scarf/veil under my helmet see what reaction that would get ::)

(Ps Yes biking IS a religion to some !)

Nico_babe
08-12-10, 03:47 PM
Come to Newbury, I have never been asked to take my helmet off. [smiley=happy.gif]

wiltshire builders
08-12-10, 04:15 PM

Stu

I was waiting for this to rear it's ugly head.
The burka has nothing to do with religion. It's worn though choice.
We bikers are forced to wear a helmet by law.

Mitch9128
08-12-10, 04:33 PM

Stu

I'm not advocating the wearing of it, some of these women are forced by their husbands. However rufty tufty bikers claiming prejudice upon being asked to remove your helmet is laughable, i've seen these women spat at in the street in London, i have yet to see anyone wearing a burka in Wiltshire!

wiltshire builders
08-12-10, 04:41 PM

Stu

I'm not advocating the wearing of it, some of these women are forced by their husbands. However rufty tufty bikers claiming prejudice upon being asked to remove your helmet is laughable, i've seen these women spat at in the street in London, i have yet to see anyone wearing a burka in Wiltshire!
So because someone else has got it worse we're not allowed to complain? Where does that agument stop? That's a slippery slope to go down.

BladeTriple
08-12-10, 04:43 PM
Its not prejudice as such making bikers take our lids off at petrol stations but it is criminalising us without actually having done anything wrong.... like previous posts say some scrotes on scooters fuel and scoot but how often does someone on 5 to 12k of motorbike do the same?

Mitch9128
08-12-10, 04:51 PM
It's an inconvenience at most, there is a valid reason behind it, and most pump jockey's wouln't know the difference between an Rsv4 and an Piaggio twist and go. I'm surprised at the protests, as in the 4 years in Wilts i've never been asked to remove my helmet.

Squashed_Fly
08-12-10, 04:51 PM
That's easy to say when you know the difference. Most people wouldn't know how much a moped cost compared to a bike. (Edit: Mitch beat me to it!)

It's kind of funny that you put in your post "scrotes on scooters". That makes you just as guilty of being judgmental/prejudiced as the people that are being complained about!

Beamer
08-12-10, 05:36 PM
Toally agree SF..... some of those 'scrotes on scoots' are some damn nice people just like the big hairy biker mob lol.......and they all have to start somewhere...in a couple of years they could well be riding along side any of us on a WB ride-out........there always have and always will be a minority that give the majority a bad name which isnt deserved no matter what they ride (bikers), who they support (i.e footie fans), or who they worship (religious groups) ;) ;) ;)

Scaredy_Cat
08-12-10, 06:46 PM
This isn't prejudice as such, just more stereotyping, but I do get really hacked off in garages & parts shops when the responses to questions that I've asked get directed to my OH! >:(
He hasn't got a clue when it comes to anything mechanical, yet I am trusted to fix multi-million pound aircraft on a daily basis! ;D

Chappers
08-12-10, 07:10 PM
So the objections seem to be:

1 - inconvenience to the biker - sure it's inconvenient, but not nearly as inconvenient as being robbed and getting the sack because your boss finds out you let another biker fill up without him taking his helmet off for the CCTV. Again, taking helmets off to go into a bank or post office is similarly inconvenient, it just happens to be done less frequently and is more obvious, but the principle is the same.

2 - some women wearing burka's might not be asked to remove them - for that argument to work it has to be assumed here that women wearing burka's have been allowed to fill up at the same places bikers have been asked to remove their helmets. Even if that were generally the case, it is missing the point of why the request is made by some petrol stations - clearly they do not have a crime problem of burka clad women stealing their petrol!!

This isn't criminalising bikers unless we are saying that stores that restrict the number of unaccompanied children after school are criminalising all children. If people take money out of my pocket I would like to think I will take reasonable steps to make it more difficult for them to do it in future [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Chappers
08-12-10, 07:25 PM
I've never actually seen a woman wearing a burka filling up a car. In my boredom I googled burka car and the closest I got to was this
http://destexhe.blogs.com/blog2007/2008/06/la-mto-sur-tlbr.html

I'm quite sure the second lady isn't wearing a burka :o :o My French is a little rusty, but I think even the 'micro-burka' was absent on September 4th :-*

Sorry, completely off-topic. Back to prejudices!!

Scotty
08-12-10, 07:49 PM
Correct Chappers, she's announcing that on 4th September she removes her bikini bottoms - top girl [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

redken1
08-12-10, 08:00 PM
Excellent debate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]. I personally do not have a problem with removing my helmet before paying for my fuel. I feel it is a matter of politeness to engage in a conversation/transaction with another individual with my face uncovered. If a volunteer wearing a crash helmet knocked on your door selling raffle tickets for their respective charity, would you buy some?

My earlier point relating to shop owners who only allow two children in their premises at one time, in my view, is blatant discrimination. Many retailers have adopted these measures to combat shoplifting, but some adults steal from shops too.

DaytonaDog
08-12-10, 08:10 PM
We all have prejudices, it is human nature and normally founded on negative experiences and stereotyping. What is important is to not allow your prejudices to effect the way in which you treat people.

The issue with the Pizza Hut incident, from my understanding of what I have seen on the news, is not the fact that the four lads were asked for payment upfront, but the fact that a group of similar age white lads who were in the restaurant at the same time were not asked. Therefore the four lads assumed, rightly or wrongly that they were asked for payment upfront based on the colour of their skin. That in my opinion is discriminatory and I am appalled that such attitudes still exist.

With regard to crash helmets, we choose to ride motorcycles and make that decision knowing that we have to wear a crash helmet. Now if a garage has made a policy decision about the removal of crash helmets by ALL persons riding motorcycles/moped then that is a condition of service made by the petrol station which I have to respect. If I disagree with that policy then I can vote with my feet and use another petrol station. I certainly don't feel discriminated against or criminalised because of it. It would be much more discriminatory or criminalising if the petrol stations decided to only make the moped riders take their helmets off but everybody else can keeps theirs on. The petrol station are not saying, because you ride a bike you are more likely to nick petrol, they are saying, if you are going to steal petrol then I'm going to do everything I can to make sure you are identified and caught.

It's no different to a nightclub having a dress code stating no hoodies or trainers etc etc. It is a condition of entry or service.

DaytonaDog
08-12-10, 08:19 PM
My earlier point relating to shop owners who only allow two children in their premises at one time, in my view, is blatant discrimination. Many retailers have adopted these measures to combat shoplifting, but some adults steal from shops too.

Ken, another reason the shops take this policy is that some customers find large groups of teenage children intimidatory even though in the majority of cases the children are just being 'children'. Again its the minority that spoil it for the majority, but how does the shopkeeper decide who to allow in and who not to allow in. By saying only two children at a time, your not saying you are not allowed in ever, but only a two a time. Just something for consideration. ;D

redken1
08-12-10, 08:55 PM

Ken, another reason the shops take this policy is that some customers find large groups of teenage children intimidatory even though in the majority of cases the children are just being 'children'. Again its the minority that spoil it for the majority, but how does the shopkeeper decide who to allow in and who not to allow in. By saying only two children at a time, your not saying you are not allowed in ever, but only a two a time. Just something for consideration. ;D
I accept what you are saying Chris, but could you imagine the public outrage that would ensue if this policy was extended to cover adults.

Squashed_Fly
08-12-10, 08:59 PM
The 2 at a time rule, generally applies to small sweet shops etc. I've never seen it on a 'normal shop'. It's usually for smaller newsagents that are on the routes to and from schools so in those cases it is more likely to be kids nicking stuff....

redken1
08-12-10, 09:12 PM
The 2 at a time rule, generally applies to small sweet shops etc. I've never seen it on a 'normal shop'. It's usually for smaller newsagents that are on the routes to and from schools so in those cases it is more likely to be kids nicking stuff....

Even if it was the case that adults were more likely to steal from these shops, I doubt very much that these rules would apply to customers over 16 years old. Whatever the reasoning behind the policy, it still alienates the younger generation.

tracey_c
08-12-10, 09:15 PM
in melksham you can fill your bike up wearing your helmet but in certain garages they ask you to remove it as you come in to pay WTF.sainsburys now ask you to get off your bike whilst fueling ::) and then remove your lid ::)

Ducatista
08-12-10, 09:30 PM
sainsburys now ask you to get off your bike whilst fueling

I am pretty sure this is a different issue.
If you spill fuel it could catch fire on a hot engine.
A rider has been badly burnt around the groin area when this happened (roasted nuts anyone).

If your bike is on the stand then the outcome is likely much better for you and everyone else.
If it's not on the stand you can't get away quickly, you might drop the bike on yourself and make a bigger fuel spill.

Whether you agree with the policy on not, I believe this part is about safety and not theft.

If you buy from a private company you do so on THEIR terms full stop. This is not unlawful discrimination.

Snowy
08-12-10, 09:35 PM
Maybe we could start a list of those petrol stations that ask you to remove lids so we can all have an informed choice over whether we go there. This might also help indicate the extent of the "problem". I have only been asked twice and on one of those occasions I was in the queue waiting to pay. I was asked to remove my helmet, I asked "Why?" and was told there was a sign on the door. I said I didn't see any sign but offered my credit card and said "are you refusing my offer of payment for the fuel?" Payment was immediately taken and I kept my lid on. Funniest part was the guy behind me who said he found me very intimidating in my "biker gear". ;D ;D ;D Well, I guess size does matter after all...

Mitch9128
08-12-10, 09:36 PM
sainsburys now ask you to get off your bike whilst fueling

I am pretty sure this is a different issue.
If you spill fuel it could catch fire on a hot engine.
A rider has been badly burnt around the groin area when this happened (roasted nuts anyone).

If your bike is on the stand then the outcome is likely much better for you and everyone else.
If it's not on the stand you can't get away quickly, you might drop the bike on yourself and make a bigger fuel spill.

Whether you agree with the policy on not, I believe this part is about safety and not theft.

If you buy from a private company you do so on THEIR terms full stop. This is not unlawful discrimination.

After years of swanning around on bike forums, i've yet to hear of anyone 'really' doing that, it's an old wives tale. I always brim my bikes sitting on them, i'm usually on fumes by the time i get back home.

Mitch9128
08-12-10, 09:38 PM
Morrisons and Tesco in Chippenham have no issues, Morissons having Pay at the pump makes it even easier, although if i'm picking up wine on the way in i'll take my helmet off at Tesco.

Ducatista
08-12-10, 09:41 PM
Maybe we could start a list of those petrol stations that ask you to remove lids

Esso (chippenham services) - will put loud message over tannoy if you are not using pay@pump

redken1
08-12-10, 09:45 PM
Some pubs in Frome do not permit entry to customers who are wearing Santa hats during the festive period (world going mad). Can't understand that because my Mum told me that Santa Claus was a very nice man and I have to say that he was always good to me. ;D

Ducatista
08-12-10, 09:45 PM
After years of swanning around on bike forums, i've yet to hear of anyone 'really' doing that, it's an old wives tale.

It doesn't matter whether you give it any credance or not.
If it's Sainsbury's policy on their private property then they have the right to refuse to serve you if you don't comply with their policies.

Once you have the fuel then as Beemerman points out the balance of power has shifted considerably, but they can switch off the pump before delivery if they are on the ball.

Mitch9128
08-12-10, 09:48 PM
After years of swanning around on bike forums, i've yet to hear of anyone 'really' doing that, it's an old wives tale.

It doesn't matter whether you give it any credance or not.
If it's Sainsbury's policy on their private property then they have the right to refuse to serve you if you don't comply with their policies.

Sure, but it's still bollocks...roasted or not.

wiltshire builders
08-12-10, 11:18 PM
Because of the shape of the tank My zx has to be upright to completely fill it too. The last couple of weeks i would gladly have welcomed a warmed up nether region. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ducatista
09-12-10, 09:23 AM

Right Mitch, do you have any proof that this has never ever happened?

NZMSC (a non-profit body working on motorcycle safety and riding skills promotion in New Zealand and internationally via the Internet) say it has.

They also mention another incident which although not fire, was still very painful where one of their riders split fuel on his testicles (through his jeans). His name was Allan Kirk of the NZMSC.

But hey if you guys want to spill fuel on your testicles and set them on fire, then who am I to spoil your fun ;)

Mitch9128
09-12-10, 12:44 PM

Right Mitch, do you have any proof that this has never ever happened?

NZMSC (a non-profit body working on motorcycle safety and riding skills promotion in New Zealand and internationally via the Internet) say it has.

They also mention another incident which although not fire, was still very painful where one of their riders split fuel on his testicles (through his jeans). His name was Allan Kirk of the NZMSC.

But hey if you guys want to spill fuel on your testicles and set them on fire, then who am I to spoil your fun ;)

Lol, New Zealand!! It must have taken you ages to find that. I do have proof that it's never happened to me :) I watched that science program with the wee fella off top gear once, and they were seeing if it was possible to ignite fuel at a pump whilst using a mobile phone, or smoking a tab, neither was succesful, i think the odds of setting your goollies on fire are even less off a hot engine. Some of us like inherent risk, it's why we ride motorcycles ;)

Mitch9128
09-12-10, 12:49 PM
OMG i just got this email in...

This actually happened a few weeks ago on the M3 Fleet services . It was early evening and a young girl stopped to get petrol. She filled her tank and walked into the store to pay for her petrol. The cashier told her 'Don't pay for your petrol yet, there's a motorcyclist filling his bike up while still sat on it. It's very dangerous and any moment now he's going to burst into flames'...

Take care out there folks.

wiltshire builders
09-12-10, 01:48 PM
I bloody knew it!
http://www.phun.org/newspics/funny_friday/5087.jpg

Mitch9128
09-12-10, 03:07 PM
I bloody knew it!
http://www.phun.org/newspics/funny_friday/5087.jpg

Crazy sitting on his bike filling up fool :D

tracey_c
09-12-10, 09:39 PM
shall we call in the MYTHBUSTERS to see if this would actually happen? ;D

Snowy
09-12-10, 10:10 PM
I know of a couple of owners of K1100's where their bikes have caught fire while refueling. On the original K100's the drain pipe from the tank is incorporated into a mass of wiring and cabling that goes down the right hand side of the bike. Owners who didn't know what that pipe did tended to move it around a lot and it used to get pinched and twisted. So, BMW decided on the K1100's to fit an open reservoir underneath the tank which could take overfilled fuel so that it would evaporate over a period of time - ironically as a safety measure in case of a blocked or pinched overflow.

The problem was made dangerous when on US versions, BMW fitted a special filler neck to take the US hoses. Owners discovered that if this was removed they could fit another litre of fuel in the tank. It was called a flapperectomy. So they removed them not knowing that when doing so it became much easier to overfill the tank, leading to an overflow of fuel greater than the capacity of the reservoir. This fuel then overflowed directly onto the engine underneath and dripped straight onto the exhaust headers. In both of the cases documented on the forum I'm on, the bikes were totalled.

Ducatista
10-12-10, 07:55 AM
Thanks Beemerman.

shall we call in the MYTHBUSTERS to see if this would actually happen? Grin

You're missing the point.
It doesn't matter what jokes YOU make or what inherent risks that YOU want to take. It changes nothing.
If you are on Sainsburys property then you have to abide by THEIR rules, which are there for a (lawful) reason whether you agree with them or not.

If you think their rules are stupid then you are free to shop somewhere else just as they are free not to serve you.

redken1
10-12-10, 07:06 PM
I always ensure that my bike is on the centre stand before I fill up with fuel. I know it may seem a stupid question, but as most bikes nowadays are supplied with just a side stand, How do keep the bike level without remaining in the saddle, when filling it up with fuel?

Mitch9128
10-12-10, 07:47 PM
I always ensure that my bike is on the centre stand before I fill up with fuel. I know it may seem a stupid question, but as most bikes nowadays are supplied with just a side stand, How do keep the bike level without remaining in the saddle, when filling it up with fuel?

6'2" piece 'o' cake!

tracey_c
10-12-10, 08:04 PM
since being told about this happening at a sainsburys store i have not gone there as i only have a side stand and to fill the tank up to full i choose to sit on the bike to fill it up, as the other garages in our town do not require you to dismount from your bike [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mark_Able
10-12-10, 08:49 PM
Opened up a can of worms here. It's all quite interesting to read. My original issue was being told to pre-pay before filling up. Wearing my helmet whilst paying is my way of saying 'Up yours, I'm not a criminal'. >:(
Tina's issue is disgusting, and I'm surprised they can get away with it. But seeing so many people using disabled parking bays, it's not surprising that people try and pull a fast one, and try and get into attractions for nowt. People will never cease to amaze me (as to how low they can stoop). :(

Beamer
10-12-10, 08:59 PM
Opened up a can of worms here. It's all quite interesting to read. My original issue was being told to pre-pay before filling up. Wearing my helmet whilst paying is my way of saying 'Up yours, I'm not a criminal'. >:(
Tina's issue is disgusting, and I'm surprised they can get away with it. But seeing so many people using disabled parking bays, it's not surprising that people try and pull a fast one, and try and get into attractions for nowt. People will never cease to amaze me (as to how low they can stoop). :(

Try mugging a disabled man from behind his electric wheelchair!!............thats how low people can stoop....and in Trowbridge!!!!! >:( >:( >:(