PDA

View Full Version : Using my car tom tom

Squashed_Fly
09-12-10, 08:54 AM
I have one of the newer style tom tom 1's, the slim body one that actually stays in the suction holder all the time. I have used it, fully charged from the mains a few times by sticking over the rev counter face which seems to work really well. Because it's set back under the screen, it doesn't seem to get wet at all.

I have an optimate connector attached the battery so I can charge it if necessary, and I've seen leads that will connect to that, that have a cigarette lighter socket on it so I could charge it on the go if we go touring.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work as a permanent solution, rather than buying ANOTHER satnav (I have 2 now as I also bought the missus 1!)? I can't see any reason in theory why t wouldn't work, if I cable tie any loose leads down to stop them getting caught in anything....

Ducatista
09-12-10, 09:27 AM
I'm getting one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/So-Easy-Rider-Universal-Waterproof/dp/B0021AE82S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291886716&sr=1-1

instead of buying a new satnav.
It's a waterproof case that velcros on (I don't have a screen).

Jon_W
09-12-10, 09:29 AM
I have a similar arrangement on the Sv and I works very well. Mine is hadr woired through the faring with a switch under the pillion seat and a idiot light in the dash.

You'll need to fuse the lead to the battery and remind yourself to turn it off when the engine isn't running.

bobf279
09-12-10, 09:20 PM
I have looked at the velcro cases, give do one the S850 and the s950 which fixes on a mount on the handlebars, both quite pricey. There is also a Tech7 version from Busters at around £29 and Buffalo do one for about £27. Just search satnav bag on ebay.

Get your bag then sort out your own wiring arrangement, I have fitted a 12v socket to my DV and I have a scala q2 headset which accepts an aux plug.

So yes most car satnav can be used to save much needed petrol coupons ;D

Squashed_Fly
10-12-10, 08:09 AM
To be honest, rather than buy a bag, I'd just mount the suction cup on my rev counter glass. It's safe, and far back enough under the screen to protect it from rain

Jon_W
10-12-10, 08:17 AM
To be honest, rather than buy a bag, I'd just mount the suction cup on my rev counter glass. It's safe, and far back enough under the screen to protect it from rain

I'd use more than a suction cup.... if the cup gives way, you loose the lot! Not so bad inside a car, but on a bike.....

Squashed_Fly
10-12-10, 08:21 AM
With mine, you stick on the suction, then there is a twist ring that locks it down. I physically can not pull off without unlocking that ring so it's very tight.

Snowy
10-12-10, 09:29 AM
I have an optimate connector attached the battery so I can charge it if necessary, and I've seen leads that will connect to that, that have a cigarette lighter socket on it so I could charge it on the go if we go touring.

I use a different way of pluging in my Optimate but from memory (and I might be wrong as I'm old) the fly lead that comes with it is not fused. So, if your thinking of using that lead as a power source for anything else make sure it has an in-line fuse of the correct rating.

Snowy
10-12-10, 09:32 AM
With mine, you stick on the suction, then there is a twist ring that locks it down. I physically can not pull off without unlocking that ring so it's very tight.

Fingers crossed for ya. :) Mine's the same but has lost suction a couple of times in the car.

Squashed_Fly
10-12-10, 09:46 AM

I use a different way of pluging in my Optimate but from memory (and I might be wrong as I'm old) the fly lead that comes with it is not fused. So, if your thinking of using that lead as a power source for anything else make sure it has an in-line fuse of the correct rating.

I have no idea! lol When it comes to electrical stuff, I'm no expert at all. I just figured it would be as simple as plugging the USB lead into the cigarette lighter socket which I would attach to the installed connector lead on the battery....

Squashed_Fly
11-12-10, 11:23 AM
I've been playing around with mounting it on the back of my helmet, and it works!

The idea being that my other half can look at it (thus leaving me free to concentrate on the road) and then squeeze my arm when I need to turn left or right...

Sounds stupid and ridiculous, and it probably is! But hey, the best inventions and ideas all sounded wacky when first thought of...

ChrisJo
11-12-10, 12:13 PM
I've been playing around with mounting it on the back of my helmet, and it works!

The idea being that my other half can look at it (thus leaving me free to concentrate on the road) and then squeeze my arm when I need to turn left or right...

Sounds stupid and ridiculous, and it probably is! But hey, the best inventions and ideas all sounded wacky when first thought of...

LOL :D

Is it April 1st? Did I miss it? ;D

redken1
11-12-10, 12:18 PM

LOL :D

Is it April 1st? Did I miss it? ;D

How will your wife communicate which exit to leave on a roundabout? lol :-/

Snowy
11-12-10, 02:34 PM

In this case I suggest you glue a cushion to your missus helmet so when the inevitable clash of helmets happens under braking she doesn't butt the Satnav. Can you ask someone to take a picture and post it up please as I have something in mind........ ::)

Squashed_Fly
11-12-10, 03:37 PM
Lol, will see what I can do! I'm not sure it will be a long term solution, but for now....