PDA

View Full Version : Greasy Survey

festus
03-11-10, 11:09 AM
Morning folks
Dont know if someone has done a survey on local Greasy spoons in our beloved county.
My idea is to create a booklet ( ?) or a permanent page on this forum packed with info on all greasy spoons that are outthere.
Details on how to get there/best route/ratings on food prices/parking etc.
Im allways coming across places that look dodgy on the outside but always venture in and been very suprised on what ive found.
Thers a few i tend to stop at but can never remember where they are.
Had the idea on creating something more permanant to be used as a guide for us and our visiters.
What do you think?,would it work.......
Fetus "aka Rat head" :-/

Nelly
03-11-10, 12:12 PM
Piggies in Lyneham! Yum!

benobiker
03-11-10, 01:01 PM
Greasy Joe's Cirencester. It is off the round about on the by pass that takes you to macdonalds and Tescos. Take exit off round a bout then second exit into fecking humoungus car park. You have reached your destination.

wiltshire builders
03-11-10, 05:10 PM
Piggies in Lyneham! Yum!

Really? They do their sausages in a deep fat frier.
The lock inn, Bradford on avon kicks ass!
http://www.thelockinn.co.uk/breakfast/

BB
03-11-10, 06:55 PM
Not very local I know, but Midway Truck Stop at Prees nr Whitchurch Junction of A49/A41 is excellent [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Stop there most years on the way to Isle of Man.

BB

BB
03-11-10, 06:57 PM
And a more local one, the Waney Edge on the old Semington Road Melksham.

BB

Toph
03-11-10, 08:00 PM
Try a "big breakfast roll" from country kitchen at wickes carpark Trowbridge, yummmmmm! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

commando1966
03-11-10, 08:05 PM
And a more local one, the Waney Edge on the old Semington Road Melksham.

BB
Thats only a 10 min walk for me .. iam in Semington AKA "sleepy hollow" ;D

Jon_W
04-11-10, 07:48 AM
The Lock Inn Cafe in Bradford on Avon does an awsome "Boatmans" Breakfast.

crewy
04-11-10, 09:00 AM
Bir far, but the cafe, hounds lane, Chipping Sodbury

Kevinb
04-11-10, 09:04 AM
Try a "big breakfast roll" from country kitchen at wickes carpark Trowbridge, yummmmmm! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I'll second that. Also the Crowing Cock, Wicker hill, Trowbridge. Although not such a greasy spoon these days.

Kevinb
04-11-10, 09:04 AM
Fowlers cafe. Much better these days with better food and service.

tracey_c
04-11-10, 09:10 AM
nigel & marys on the A350 towards westbury on the right just passed stoney gutter,good value food & clean. (talk to him about SPURS you,ll have a friend for life).LOL ;D

Jon_W
04-11-10, 10:28 AM
Palmer Garden Centre Cafe.... Yes I know it's a garden centre. But they do a great breakfast at brilliant value and it supports the Shaw Trust!

festus
25-11-10, 07:13 PM
Im sure there are more than these few nosheries in our beloved county..Come on boys and gurls try harder..It is xmas lol.... ;)

SBQE2
25-11-10, 07:29 PM
Brunels Buttery in Bristol Docks is excellent [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/brunels-buttery-bristol

mapped at

http://www.citikey.com/business/10099406/

Dabz
25-11-10, 10:12 PM
I've heard beamer's cafe in Trowbridge does a mean egg and chips..

Green Man
25-11-10, 10:20 PM
I've heard beamer's cafe in Trowbridge does a mean egg and chips..

Not tasted it yet but the smell wafting up the road smells dam good [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BigPossum
26-11-10, 02:19 PM
Fowlers... plate of chips so big it would fill a top box... and only a couple of quid.

Nice ladies too.

That's ladies behind the counter, not ladies as in... oh never mind.

Shutting up.

BB
26-11-10, 08:55 PM
The ladies in Fowlers are pretty average... no idea what the gents is like :D

BB

freddieb
27-11-10, 05:39 PM
Paxcroft cafe on the edge of Trowbridge on the Devizes rd is pretty cool.. Nice people, resonable rates, + they'll give free refills of hot drinks to any WBer... [smiley=thumbsup.gif], Well done Rachel..(Ownwer) :) :)

jonnydangerous
30-11-10, 12:51 PM
Shaftsbury has a fantastic greasy soppn (cant remember what its called, but will look it up next time we eat there) they dont mind bikers in wet or muddy offroad gear either, and they allways get the price wrong (as its run by kids who cant add up) ... but the fry up is FANTASTIC!.....

ro
30-11-10, 01:00 PM
Shaftsbury has a fantastic greasy soppn (cant remember what its called, but will look it up next time we eat there) they dont mind bikers in wet or muddy offroad gear either, and they allways get the price wrong (as its run by kids who cant add up) ... but the fry up is FANTASTIC!.....
It's the "John Peel" - we went there on the Remembrance ride again this year and the food was great.

R1chie
30-11-10, 01:37 PM
My favourite greasy spoon is over on the Plain, in a layby on the Tilshead to Shrewton road, just past the Westdown Camp bends.

The half pounder with bacon burger is an 'must do' experience [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nooj
30-11-10, 04:12 PM
Rio's in Newbury (nowhere really to park a bike though), Mac's Cafe on the A4 between Thatcham and Theal. Ace Cafe is the obvious one and you must have heard of the Pondarosa in Wales?

Nooj
30-11-10, 04:14 PM
Burbages bakery, Weyhill Road, Andover. Not a greasy spoon, but Steve Burbage is a biker and I believe bikers get (or got) a free coffee.

Snowy
30-11-10, 05:54 PM
Burbages bakery, Weyhill Road, Andover. Not a greasy spoon, but Steve Burbage is a biker and I believe bikers get (or got) a free coffee.

Certainly GS'ers get a coffee plus the cakes are to die for....

Beamer
30-11-10, 05:55 PM

Certainly GS'ers get a coffee plus the cakes are to die for....

Ok Im dumb.....whats a GS'er??? ::) ::) ::)

Snowy
30-11-10, 06:23 PM
Tina, not sure on the spelling but here goes:

"G"elande "S"trasse'er (meaning road/off road'er)

or more commonly, someone that rides a GS (R80,100,1100,1150 or 1200) made by a certain "B"avarian "M"anufacturer "Wot" like I have got. ;D :D

Beamer
30-11-10, 06:53 PM
ahhhhhh ....thank you Mr Beemerman.... I need still need educating ::) ::) hehe..... but I recognise the BM bit hehe .....thank you for the 'translation' hehe xx [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;D ;D

Nooj
30-11-10, 07:49 PM
Steve is on the UKGSer forum and organises the Hog Raost (his spelling, not mine) each year at Andover Rugby club. If you're on the GS forum I highly recommend getting along to it.

Snowy
30-11-10, 08:11 PM
Steve is on the UKGSer forum and organises the Hog Raost (his spelling, not mine) each year at Andover Rugby club. If you're on the GS forum I highly recommend getting along to it.

Had thought about going along next year and I'm so close there's no need to take a tent. One of the mods from one of the northern sections randomly turned up at the Polebarn a month or so ago on a Friday night to. I think you get some business off the site to. :) Small world.

festus
19-12-10, 02:05 PM
How come no one has mentioned the mobile cafe by the Gas club/Wickes on Gypsy Lane ( Swindon).
Very popular with taxis on late/night work,always open when I go passed at around 0120/25.
Good prices and freshly cooked/plenty of parking and not far from George Whites/Taylors Triumph and the other one next door lol...
Merry xmas by the way......... :D

Jon_W
21-12-10, 07:55 AM
Tina, not sure on the spelling but here goes:

"G"elande "S"trasse'er (meaning road/off road'er)

or more commonly, someone that rides a GS (R80,100,1100,1150 or 1200) made by a certain "B"avarian "M"anufacturer "Wot" like I have got. ;D :D

Not ropey old suzuki's then!!!! ;D