PDA

View Full Version : Do I sell my xj6 for a sports bike or offroader

baxter
17-12-10, 09:46 PM
Been thinking about buying a new bike but just don't no what to get . My yamaha xj6 is a really nice bike just want something more exciting . Please can people give me some pros and cons on each type of bike

baxter
17-12-10, 10:20 PM
I mean what people prefer off roaders or sports bikes not pro and con

Nooj
18-12-10, 12:56 AM
What do you want to use the bike for? That should tell you what sort of bike to get.

BladeTriple
18-12-10, 01:08 AM
Can't you get a bike that does a bit of both the BMW GS Adventure ? I'm sure theres a few folk on here who have bikes capable of fun on the road which are just as capable off road :)

Why have one or the other when you can have both

baxter
18-12-10, 06:56 AM
Ye I might go and have a look at one when this snow stops

ro
18-12-10, 09:18 AM
If you can afford it, have one of each!

Davey
18-12-10, 09:33 AM
I prefer the upright position of the off roader but sports bikes knacker my shoulder - plus way too tempting to go faster. So I ride Supermoto great fun but not best for distance or comfort but can go on and off road. so for comfort and mileage I'm personally getting a KTM Adventure but must admit the BMW was tempting but I just can't bring myself to it :P

Squashed_Fly
18-12-10, 09:34 AM
The pro's of a sports bike are that you can ride it on the road really easily. The Cons are that it's not quite so well suited to off roading!

Just reverse those for an off roader ;)

Davey
18-12-10, 10:45 AM
The pro's of a sports bike are that you can ride it on the road really easily. The Cons are that it's not quite so well suited to off roading!

Just reverse those for an off roader ;)

Supermoto you can do both [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

baxter
18-12-10, 10:48 AM
Ye I was looking at the ktm530 exc then supermoto it or the Suzuki drz400

Nooj
18-12-10, 01:42 PM
Wait for a while and have a look at the new Tiger 800 from Triumph when it comes out. It's looks are an acquired taste, but it should be able to do everything a 1200GS can, but cost less, be lighter, and have none of the reliability and corrosion issues that plague the current GS range.

wiltshire builders
18-12-10, 04:01 PM
You haven't said what you'll be using it for. Help us, help you [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Snowy
18-12-10, 04:21 PM
and have none of the reliability and corrosion issues that plague the current GS range.

Ahh, the well known vocal minority have been talking again on UKGS'er I see...... ;D ;D ;D For every 100 quiet ones, there's one loud one. :D

Mine's like new three years on but then it has been covered in some funny Aircraft Corrosion Formula for the last three winters.... ;)

Ducatista
18-12-10, 04:46 PM
Yeah, but he's only 19 Graeme.
I don't think he needs a pipe and slippers quite yet ;)
He's got a good 30 years before getting a GS.

What's your budget?
The Ducati multistrada looks like a great bike with many modes but you'll need quite a big budget for that one.

The Triumph Street Triple would be a great bike to have a look at of the Kawasaki Z1000 if you're happy with a naked bike.
There are cons though to a naked bike. My head feels like it's getting ripped off my shoulders on the motorway and it's a constant effort.

If you're planning on doing some touring and can only afford one bike, you might want to opt for something more comfortable with a fairing.

BladeTriple
18-12-10, 06:15 PM
OOOOH I didn't think about the Triumph Tiger Nooj .... good call!

baxter
18-12-10, 08:27 PM
My budget ain't big they won't give me nothing for mine . I want to do some miles in the summer but all my mates keep on about the super Moto . I am not looking to spend more than 5000

Nooj
18-12-10, 08:45 PM
CCM RC30. Suzuki engined ones were supposed to be better, but the earlier ones have a Rotax motor which I'd say were far more robust.

Davey
18-12-10, 08:48 PM
CCM RC30. Suzuki engined ones were supposed to be better, but the earlier ones have a Rotax motor which I'd say were far more robust.

Rotax engines were ****e - I had one and sold them and forever breaking hence changing to the larger Suzuki engine

Nooj
18-12-10, 09:05 PM
Interesting, it was the same motor that was used in the Aprilia Pegaso and the old BMW F650, I thought they were always reliable?

Lexx0r
18-12-10, 10:11 PM
Bias? R6 is defiantly the best 600 I have ridden. ;)! Sportsbike wise!

Bornagain
19-12-10, 10:39 AM
Get yourself a ZX6R and an XR250R [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Don't know where i plucked those 2 from :D :D :D :D

All year round fun [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Davey
19-12-10, 11:00 AM
Interesting, it was the same motor that was used in the Aprilia Pegaso and the old BMW F650, I thought they were always reliable?

It was more to the build quality and electrics - mine would just die for no apparent reason and no fault found then would just start 10 mins/ 1 hour or a day later whenever it felt like it. Give it credit when it was going it was fun but was always waiting for it to cut out (also happened with the demo/ staff bikes!)

BladeTriple
19-12-10, 11:22 AM
5k budget will get you one of each if you shop clever and don't want the most modern bikes or get you a whole lot of newer 2nd hand bike right now as bike dealers are dead right now ... Go find something you like the look of and haggle you backside off!

Honda_Star
19-12-10, 11:28 AM
I seem to have a very good knack for finding good deals. . As a lot of people on here will know . Let me know if you would like me to help you find something . I have helped a few people on here and have found some real gems :)

Scotty
19-12-10, 11:30 AM
...I want to do some miles in the summer but all my mates keep on about the super Moto . I am not looking to spend more than 5000
Bit of a contradiction there Baxter pal, you won't want to end up doing a lot of miles on a supermoto, the seats aren't particularly comfortable and the aren't very quick (which, admittedly, is no bad thing when you have the aerodynamics of a parachute)

The problem with asking other people's opinions is that you get just that, other people's opinions. What is good for them or what they like is their preference and may not suit you at all. What's the hurry? It's not even Christmas yet so you have months to choose. It's a buyer's market so go out to the dealers and try anything that you like the look of. Then, if you like the look of something, do some research on the net and owner's forums (and on here) and find out more about it. If you buy smart, for a £5k budget you could get a reasonable sports bike and an off-roader. Just don't feel pressured and rush into something. If you're planning to do big mileage on a Supermoto, buy one relatively cheaply and save the rest of your budget for regular visits to a chiropractor :'( ;)

Nooj
20-12-10, 04:36 PM
and have none of the reliability and corrosion issues that plague the current GS range.

Ahh, the well known vocal minority have been talking again on UKGS'er I see...... ;D ;D ;D For every 100 quiet ones, there's one loud one. :D

Mine's like new three years on but then it has been covered in some funny Aircraft Corrosion Formula for the last three winters.... ;)

Ah, I'm only saying what I see. And I see a LOT of GS's with corrosion problems (could be why they're all coming in to me of course [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ), I can easily tell the ones who use ACF50.

It's not just corrosion though, many of the owners that come in to me have had electrical/mechanical problems as well, especially the 1200GS and K series owners. It's also people I know well having problems, a mate's 1150GS spent over a month in the workshop with an intermittent electrical fault that would keep cutting the motor out. My Uncle's 1200GS seized up and another chum's brand new 650GS had the rear wheel collapse on him earlier this year. These aren't 'people who know someone who's mate had this happen', they are people I know well who have experienced it first hand. :(

Having said that, most owners I spoken to would have another BMW. Although I think with the introduction of the new Super Tenere and the Tiger 800, BMW GS sales are going to be hit hard.

Mark_Able
20-12-10, 08:11 PM
Save your money and take the XJ on a track day. Suddenly you'll decide what's exciting and what isn't... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
21-12-10, 07:18 AM
It you want fun on and off road, get the yamaha motard/trailie. Fun to ride on road (and at legal speeds) and yamaha do off road wheels as well.....

If you want a good mile muncher which handles, how about a Ducatti St4? 916 engine made a little tamer (and more reliable) in a great frame, big bike, but goes like stink and handles very well.

Other than that, I'd get a ZZR600 and use the change to buy a trailie!!!

jonnydangerous
21-12-10, 10:33 AM
Suzuki GSXR 600 K1 (sweeeeeeet bike) pay no more than £2500-£3000
Yamaha WR250f 2005 model (fantastic offroader), pay no more than £2000 - £2500

two fantastic bikes, £5000...

sorted :-)