PDA

View Full Version : Engine thoughts.

benobiker
03-12-10, 05:36 PM
A mate of mine wants to build one of these lightweight kit cars from scratch. The three wheeled things you sometimes see about. Best thing I can think it sounds like is a home made Ariel Atom but with only three wheels. He was asking me what bike engines I thought would be good but could not think past a Gixer WR 1100 engine like the hill climb boys use. He wondered about a v twin 1000. Anyone have any thoughts on suitability of any bike engines in relation to one of these ultra lightweight three wheelers? Any thoughts much appriciated..

silly_simon
03-12-10, 05:37 PM
Hayabusa :D

Dabz
03-12-10, 05:40 PM
the busa engine has always been a firm fav, along with the r1 engine

benobiker
03-12-10, 07:11 PM
yeah he was being told that too. I think you are confirming it. Dont really think a v twin 1000 is your baby for that project as in there are better others. His thinking behind the v twin was the low down grunt helping with moving off... Cant understand why he wants three wheels and not two but will pass on your thinking. Ta Very much. :)

silly_simon
03-12-10, 07:24 PM
Mate as there will be very little weight it wouldn't need the torque as such [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Have a look at this for some food for thought 8-) 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV4HdsDZX6c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE4kqBT8dWo

wiltshire builders
04-12-10, 12:22 AM
A mate of mine races a fiat seicento with 2 k6 gsxr engines. I can PM you his details if you like.

Jon_W
06-12-10, 01:41 PM
The old oil cooled gsxr1100 engines have been used as they are easy to install, lacking a radiator. Would also look at the gpz1000 engine. The older engines are easier to install and setup as they have little or no electronics in them, and run carbs. they are also a lot cheaper.

depends on budget and how confident your friend is with the wiring. would also look at a super blackbird engine as an alternative to the busa.

Have seen tl1000 engines in kits. they work a treat and sound awsome. fitting it in is always the issue, as the engine is an odd shape.

benobiker
06-12-10, 07:30 PM
Mate as there will be very little weight it wouldn't need the torque as such [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Have a look at this for some food for thought 8-) 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV4HdsDZX6c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE4kqBT8dWo

cheers fella. Will have a look and pass them on!! Yeah good point re the torques!

benobiker
06-12-10, 07:31 PM
A mate of mine races a fiat seicento with 2 k6 gsxr engines. I can PM you his details if you like.

cheers Wiltshirebuilders! That would be very kind indeed! Yes please.

benobiker
06-12-10, 07:34 PM
The old oil cooled gsxr1100 engines have been used as they are easy to install, lacking a radiator. Would also look at the gpz1000 engine. The older engines are easier to install and setup as they have little or no electronics in them, and run carbs. they are also a lot cheaper.

depends on budget and how confident your friend is with the wiring. would also look at a super blackbird engine as an alternative to the busa.

Have seen tl1000 engines in kits. they work a treat and sound awsome. fitting it in is always the issue, as the engine is an odd shape.

Cheers mate, will pass all that on... IT will be his first kit though I think he is pretty practical and this is not a rush project or anything so has time to learn as he goes.

Mark_Able
06-12-10, 08:21 PM
Chain drive or shaft? If it's a shafty he's after, how about a V-Max motor? [smiley=happy.gif]

Jon_W
07-12-10, 08:02 AM
Chain drive or shaft? If it's a shafty he's after, how about a V-Max motor? [smiley=happy.gif]

Ohhh... thats evil!! [smiley=evil.gif]

Kevinb
07-12-10, 09:00 AM
MT-01 engine. 1700cc v-twin. As well as hill climbing you could also go mountain climbing.

benobiker
07-12-10, 10:11 AM
eew yes, probably fly too with a 1700cc V Twin. He seems to have committed to a Hyabusa last night from all the advice.. Thanks very much though! Been a mahoosive help thanks guys!

Nooj
08-12-10, 12:53 AM
What about a K1200/1300 or FJR1200/1300? You already get shaft drive as part of it then. Or the 1.8 flat six from a Goldwing? Also a shaftie.

Jon_W
08-12-10, 07:51 AM
Had another thought on the way home.... well actually it passed me on the batheaston bypass, How about a ZZR1100 engine.

It'll fly with a busa lump though. Please post piccies of the finished machine....

benobiker
21-12-10, 11:25 AM
Thanks for all your input peoples. There has been a slight change in the plans though.. He has said he needs to find out why every time he sees me get off my bike I am grinning like a stupid school boy so he is scrapping the car project, and doing his bike test instead!! Another one finally sees the light!!! :)

Jon_W
21-12-10, 03:09 PM
A far better plan if you ask me. Now he can expierence a bike engine in the way in which it was intended.

Good man. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]