PDA

View Full Version : ZZR1400 60k miles, too many miles or not?

ZZR600Dude
23-12-10, 05:19 PM
Hi there,

Theres a couple of ZZRs on Autotrader, Really want a ZZR1400 but cant afford more than £4000. Do you think a ZZR1400 at £3500 is good value or is the mileage too high and should be avoided?

Also anyone know someone who has owned a ER6F? Not my first choice but may end up with something along those lines if I cant afford a low mileage ZZR1400.

any advice most welcome

Paul

freddieb
23-12-10, 06:28 PM
I own a seven year old pan and the price of a pan holds pretty good with the mileage. If the ZZR are also holding their price, I suppose It's an Indication that the bikes are good for that mileage.. :) Some, well, alot actually, of 1300st are still good at 150K.. :)

Davey
23-12-10, 06:57 PM
I#ve seen ZZr1400's with 180k on the clock and not missed a beat as long as it looked after should be no issues - fooking great bikes [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

wiltshire builders
23-12-10, 07:02 PM
Hi there,

Theres a couple of ZZRs on Autotrader, Really want a ZZR1400 but cant afford more than £4000. Do you think a ZZR1400 at £3500 is good value or is the mileage too high and should be avoided?

Also anyone know someone who has owned a ER6F? Not my first choice but may end up with something along those lines if I cant afford a low mileage ZZR1400.

any advice most welcome

Paul
Eh? How do you go from a zzr to an er6?

60k is a bit much for me, but a high miler with FSH is better than an old nail with none.

Think about what your requirements are, then your budget, then what bike fits both otherwise you'll end up with a bad example of a bike you thought you wanted.

Don't forget it's a buyers market and there are loads of great bikes out there. You can afford to be picky. Also make a stupidly low offer. You're there to get a bike not make friends.

FJ_Biker
23-12-10, 07:38 PM
There are plenty of 100k mile plus 1 litre bikes there, still running strong, I agree with others make sure it has a full service history.

Happy biking and good luck with your decision.

60k to some is just run in ;)

HensonA
23-12-10, 08:28 PM
Paul,
Harry87 rides an ER6F.

newnut
23-12-10, 09:08 PM
Paul,
Harry87 rides an ER6F.

thats what i was gonna say. he goes on regular meets too so easy to hook up with him.

ro
23-12-10, 09:20 PM
Paul,
Harry87 rides an ER6F.Harry's is the similar but unfaired ER-6n.

jonnydangerous
24-12-10, 08:20 AM
dont forget that not only the engine willhave done 60K but the suspension, brakes, steering etc....
what happens if you do spend most of your budget and it needs an overhaul? bearings, shock, shock linkage, calipers, discs, pads, lines...
think id steer away from it myself (but thats only me)....
4k buys quite a nice toy, theres bound to be something out there that fits the bill other than a 1400???......

Ducatista
24-12-10, 11:40 AM
It does seem to be that you are going from one extreme to the other and perhaps there will be something more suitable in between.

There are a number of bikes which have very attractive second hand values for various reasons. One of the main reasons is older models that aren't quite so sexy anymore.

I think you could get something that's very good value at this time of year if you forget about the latest models.
George whites have some stunning bargains from time to time and RIDE magazine features good value second hand bikes and what to look out for when you buy one.

I would personally prefer to get a older model of a bike I love, rather than a newer bike that is a real compromise.

The other alternative is save a bit more if you are in a posistion to do so. You haven't missed a lot in December to be honest. I'm, fairly risk averse but also keen to get out and I've only ridden once in the past month. Although the converse of that is that sellers are desperate to sell right now (end of year targets) and VAT is 17.5%, whereas come March there will be more business around.
If you are willing to be cheeky and have the time (and mechanical expertise) then you would be in a very strong negotiating posistion if you took a wad of cash to a dealers. They may be very keen to close business before the end of the year.
I've put a wad of cash under someone's nose before and it's quite powerful and dealers really like someone is in a posistion to buy today. Of course you still need to do your due dilligence (I'd bribe someone like JD - try a kebab).

RedSoul
24-12-10, 11:43 AM
I agree with jaydee.....I have an old bmw gs airhead with 91,000 miles on the clock and its a (costly) labour of love restoring it.The engine is sound still but all the other parts on the bike have also done 91,0000 miles.

HensonA
24-12-10, 06:26 PM
..why do you want 1400cc ????

Jon_W
24-12-10, 09:02 PM
60k seems high to me.

If it was my cash, i'd go for an a1 zzr1100 or super black bird. Both are very good machines,without the price tag.