PDA

View Full Version : Motorbike test review - mod1/mod2 scrapped

ro
21-12-10, 05:11 PM
The result of the motorbike test consultation last summer was published yesterday: Report of the motorcycle test review (http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/cyclingandmotorcycling/testreview)... basically going back to a single on-road test by the end of 2011. So they do sometimes listen!

Toph
21-12-10, 05:40 PM
If the government feels that the current testing system is flawed, why don't they implement changes with immediate effect? :-?
It'll save me a few quid!! ;D

Squashed_Fly
21-12-10, 05:51 PM
I'm probably in a minority, but having just done the mod1/2 style test, I think it's a good idea. They should lower the cost so the total fee matches the car one, but any test that requires more study/training/time etc is, in my opinion, a good thing. The same thing should be brought in for the car test too...

Scotty
21-12-10, 05:54 PM
Don't get carried away peeps, they're considering it...

Apparently More Crap than News are claiming full credit for this (of course...) best check their website to see if they're claiming credit for this morning's lunar eclipse as well ::)

newnut
21-12-10, 07:04 PM
gutted! cos i was once a naughty boy I had to do the extended test!!! twice as long on the mod 2 part. im jus glad i passed both parts first time, or it would of totaled well over a grand for me to get that little pink plastic card!

redken1
21-12-10, 07:06 PM
Don't get carried away peeps, they're considering it...

Apparently More Crap than News are claiming full credit for this (of course...) best check their website to see if they're claiming credit for this morning's lunar eclipse as well ::)

Think The Sun will be competing for that Honour. ;D

Loops
21-12-10, 07:35 PM
I'm probably in a minority, but having just done the mod1/2 style test, I think it's a good idea. They should lower the cost so the total fee matches the car one, but any test that requires more study/training/time etc is, in my opinion, a good thing. The same thing should be brought in for the car test too...

Having done it, I'm with you on this one - including thinking it would be good to do something similar with the car test!

Mark_Able
21-12-10, 08:01 PM
Yep, the current testing system is good. However, as much as I like the two part test, we'll never see a recovery until it goes back to the original single element test. Splitting the training over a period of time is not what people want. Added to that, it appears to be harder and more complicated, and as a result, puts people off. With bike shops not selling bikes, and us training firms not training the numbers, something has to be done. If you go for your LGV licence, you can fail the off road element before going on the road. But is still remains a single element test. The same rules should apply with the bike test.

As for MCN, they're the ones that sensationalised the changes in the first place, and subsequently put people off. I refuse to buy MCN or any of it's sister publications. They even had the nerve to e-mail me offering cheap advertising, as they were apparently sympathising with the plight of the training industry. I e-mailed them back, pointing out that it was their doing, and they should be offering advertising for nothing. I didn't get a reply.

Jon_W
22-12-10, 07:19 AM
As for MCN, they're the ones that sensationalised the changes in the first place, and subsequently put people off. I refuse to buy MCN or any of it's sister publications. They even had the nerve to e-mail me offering cheap advertising, as they were apparently sympathising with the plight of the training industry. I e-mailed them back, pointing out that it was their doing, and they should be offering advertising for nothing. I didn't get a reply.

Bloody well said!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

My views entirely. The press, especially the motorcycle press should concentrate on promoting motorcycling as an activity, not politicising it to meet their own sence of self importance.

If the two part test is removed, this should help the perception, but it will more than likely meam the remaining test becomes a cumbersome montser trying to cram too much in, like the car test.

Squashed_Fly
22-12-10, 07:41 AM
Yep, the current testing system is good. Added to that, it appears to be harder and more complicated, and as a result, puts people off.

Imo, thats not a bad thing. It means you have to really want to do it to go through the effort of training and saving the money to do it. I realise the knock on effects of the bike shops not selling enough, but now we have a system that stops any idiot rushing out and buying a tool to kill themselves with!

silly_simon
22-12-10, 05:52 PM
Found this on visordown :-?

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/new-bike-test-trials-to-start-in-2011/16530.html

FJ_Biker
23-12-10, 07:42 PM
This is good news for the future of biking if it becomes law, I know MAG amongst others have been fighting hard for this.

Jon_W
26-12-10, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't count and chickens yet people. A long way to go and the outcome could be worse!

bobf279
26-12-10, 09:56 PM
Bringing the test back to one event could be a good thing. The biggest issue for some was the limited places where MOD 1 could be examined and the cost associated with the additional travel and having to take both parts at different times. Minimum of 2 visits was costly for some and you daren't book both parts just in case you failed MOD 1 because you couldn't take MOD 2 if you did. Silly when you consider you rode to the test centre and away from it. Lets hope the review actually achieves something beneficial to help keep future biking alive.