PDA

View Full Version : Any engineers here?

Squashed_Fly
07-01-11, 11:43 AM
I need to find a safe, secure and waterproof way of giving me storage on my bike (02 plate ZX6r) without adding top box mounts. I want to keep t looking 'cool' for want of a better word when the box isn't there.

I came up with the idea of buying a second rear seat from a breaker, having the padding and leather taken off the top, and bolting on a top box. This could then lock into place instead of the standard seat when I have stuff to carry (for work etc need space for suit, shoes & laptop).

Firstly, is there any reason why this might not work, and secondly, is there anyone who thinks they might be able to help me with such a project? Quite frankly, I'm amazed that nothing like this already exists. I'm certain that if we could make it work, other sports bike riders may be interested in having one done as there are times when we all need to carry something and it's a pain using luggage cargo nets and waterproof coverings that usually aren't as waterproof as described!

Alternatively, is there such a product already that I just haven't found? The nearest thing I could see was a rear seat cowl that was exanded and could take a small amount of luggage (it's called the smuggler!) but it's almost £900 from M&P!!!! That's about £825 more than I wanted to pay! lol

Squashed_Fly
07-01-11, 11:49 AM
update:

on ebay - rear seat £5, top box £25-30 :)

Mitch9128
07-01-11, 12:02 PM
Just get a voyager http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/prototype-spy-concept/SCL-1990-Voyager.htm uber cool...not.

Failing that, invest in some Kreiga gear, waterproof and cool.

Squashed_Fly
07-01-11, 12:35 PM
I can do this for around £40. Doubt I could buy good kriega gear that cheap? Plus I don't want a rucksack n my back, I want the box on the bike so suit and shirt don't get so creased on way into the office....

Blackandchrome
07-01-11, 12:55 PM
What a WUSS!!
If you are that worried about your keks getting damp or creased........catch a bus or drive.. :'( :'(

;D ;D ;D

Mitch9128
07-01-11, 01:14 PM
Get a US20 Tailpack then, granted it will cost you more than £40, but it will fit all that and more and be 100% waterproof. Or you can have my Spinexx 3in1 tailpack jobby for £20, it's huge and with a canoe bag inside it is 100% waterproof too :)

Squashed_Fly
07-01-11, 01:16 PM
What a WUSS!!
If you are that worried about your keks getting damp or creased........catch a bus or drive.. :'( :'(

;D ;D ;D

It's my laptop that's expensive, with a 60 mile commute into the office I need a decent solution!

BB
07-01-11, 01:32 PM
Ghost regularly rides up & down to Southampton from Trowbridge with his lap top inside his kreiga and has also taken change of clothes if needed too. It's never leaked. Also used it for touring on bikes, RyanAir etc etc. Pretty robust on the odd trip down the road too.... ;)
I've got an Ortleib bag that's 100% waterproof too.

BB

Squashed_Fly
07-01-11, 02:04 PM
Just looked at the kriega website. They're not as expensive I had imagined. I thought they would be 3 figures!

Scotty
07-01-11, 02:22 PM
The line-up of bikes at Aust Services last June for the Wales ride-out looked like a Kriega advert, six or more of us in a row, all with US20 tailpacks - they are excellent 8-)

StreetHippo
07-01-11, 02:28 PM
You can then secure it with a pac-safe, essentially a wire cage that goes around the bag which is slash proof which will secure under the seat/any frame tube. ;)

Stu

Jon_W
07-01-11, 02:43 PM
I have a Cargo tail pack, and can confirm that these are 100% waterproof.

ro
07-01-11, 03:39 PM
I've thought of doing this too, but the problem with adapting a seat is that the mounting is designed to take weight pressing down, not the potentially large lifting and twisting forces the load in a top box would produce. I certainly wouldn't trust the rather pathetic tongue-and-post arrangement holding on the 250R's seat.

I use a tank bag ("B-square", £20 from Lidl), which easily holds my eee laptop and a change of clothes. I doubt that it's truly waterproof, but nothing has got damp in it yet.

Squashed_Fly
07-01-11, 03:47 PM
I've thought of doing this too, but the problem with adapting a seat is that the mounting is designed to take weight pressing down, not the potentially large lifting and twisting forces the load in a top box would produce. I certainly wouldn't trust the rather pathetic tongue-and-post arrangement holding on the 250R's seat.

That might be the case, but this is just specifically for the purposes above so it wouldn't be particularly heavy load. It doesn't need to be a big top box, but the fact it would be lockable, and locks to the bike would give it a degree of security, say if you wanted to pop a spare change of clothes/waterproofs in. I wouldn't use it for a load of shopping or anything...

Uber Dave
07-01-11, 04:34 PM
Not so sure the twisting and pulling problem would be that big a problem. Most pillion seats have handles on them so they would be designed to resist a certain amount of pulling and twisting force at least.

Depends what you were planning on strapping to the thing really.

Roxy
07-01-11, 04:49 PM
The line-up of bikes at Aust Services last June for the Wales ride-out looked like a Kriega advert, six or more of us in a row, all with US20 tailpacks - they are excellent 8-)

GO KRIEGA GO!!! we all looked lovely with our matching luggage!! :-*

roxy

Squashed_Fly
07-01-11, 04:59 PM
Anyway, back to the orginal question - can anyone give any reason why it wouldn't work, or would like to help me make it work?

Robf
07-01-11, 05:08 PM
i'm not an enigneer but i've just had a quick search on google and found this http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?p=2255273

Hope this helps

ro
07-01-11, 05:25 PM
Not so sure the twisting and pulling problem would be that big a problem. Most pillion seats have handles on them so they would be designed to resist a certain amount of pulling and twisting force at least.
I think you'll find such handles are securely attached to the frame, not the seat. Perhaps I've misunderstood SF's plan, but I think he means to use a replacement pillion seat as the basis for a removable top-box.

Here's someone doing exactly that (http://www.newninja.com/forums/f98/luggage-project-4849-3.html) and I have to say, the result it pretty impressive! Having seen it, despite my misgivings, I might be tempted to have a go myself.

Roxy
07-01-11, 05:48 PM
Ro

I hate top boxes with a passion but I have to say what the guy in your link has done looks pretty good! great find! :) (and no I don't want one for the r6!) ;D ;D

roxy

Uber Dave
07-01-11, 05:58 PM
I think you'll find such handles are securely attached to the frame, not the seat. Perhaps I've misunderstood SF's plan, but I think he means to use a replacement pillion seat as the basis for a removable top-box.

Not all of them, this is my R6 seat.

http://www.davejl.co.uk/images/wb/IMAG0147.jpg

http://www.davejl.co.uk/images/wb/IMAG0148.jpg

The way I understood his first post was that he wanted to get a second seat, strip it down to its frame, then mount the base for the topbox onto it so the normal seat could be swapped back and forth without attaching any frames to the actual bike?

ro
07-01-11, 06:21 PM
Most pillion seats have handles on them so they would be designed to resist a certain amount of pulling and twisting force at least.I think you'll find such handles are securely attached to the frame, not the seat.Not all of them, this is my R6 seat.
Oh, is that what that strap is for? I always thought it was for people to put leaflets under at bike meets :-? ;D

Squashed_Fly
07-01-11, 06:51 PM

Here's someone doing exactly that (http://www.newninja.com/forums/f98/luggage-project-4849-3.html) and I have to say, the result it pretty impressive! Having seen it, despite my misgivings, I might be tempted to have a go myself.

That is exactly what I want to do! so eventually I end up with a seat, cowl or luggage box that fits into the same space. Now, the question still remains (as I have no workshop as such!), os there anyone who could assist me in such a feat?

My initial theory was just bolt the box itself to the seat rather than have the plate, but actually bolting the plate to the seat gives potentially more options as you could secure panniers easily under the top box as well if required with a nice, flat, secure base to do so.

Scotty
07-01-11, 06:57 PM
Ro

I hate top boxes with a passion but I have to say what the guy in your link has done looks pretty good! great find! :) (and no I don't want one for the r6!) ;D ;D

roxy
Methinks thou doest protest too much... ;)
Go on Roxy, admit it, you secretly like the idea and if Ro or SF turn up with one, you'll secretly covet it won't you? ;D ;D ;D

Here we are in the fresh morning sunshine at Aust Services, all our Kriegas lined up... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/Barking_Toad/Bike%20stuff%202011/IMG_2184.jpg

ro
07-01-11, 09:19 PM
Now, the question still remains (as I have no workshop as such!), os there anyone who could assist me in such a feat?I don't have a workshop either, but this looks like something that can be accomplished in a garage with a few basic tools. I'm happy to assist with both, or just moral support. I'll even take photos of the proceedings ;D

My initial theory was just bolt the box itself to the seat rather than have the plate, but actually bolting the plate to the seat gives potentially more optionsYes, you need the base plate so you can take the top box with you without having to carry around the seat! And I presume it means you can swap around with different size boxes—with the same brand, are they all interchangable?

...you could secure panniers easily under the top box as well if required with a nice, flat, secure base to do so.That's an even better idea! For longer trips, I'd rather go with panniers than a top box. I'm not sure how my current soft panniers would work with it though—they have a velcro strap that normally goes under the seat and two that go over it. Wouldn't that get in the way of clipping on the top box? Perhaps there's a better way with panniers designed for the purpose from Givi (but if so, I bet it costs a fortune!).

silly_simon
08-01-11, 09:21 AM
My brother and I did exactly this albeit on my lads scooter.
We bought another grabrail and cheap topbox with mounting plate, bolted plate to grabrail and viola the box can now be put on and off when needed :)

Now i know its only a scoot but I think the fundamentals would be the same as my lads scooter is a Honda X8R S which was never designed with luggage in mind :o

I will get a pic to show you what I mean [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Davey
08-01-11, 10:32 AM
I have done a few of these for people - easy enough to do - basically we removed the cover - cut the rear seat out a bit put cover back on measured the holes for the bracket (bracket was sunk into the foam slightly) Holes drilled and LARGE washers placed inside and outside - the force can rip the smaller ones out. Just make sure the fixings will allow the seat to fix to the bike before drilling. Hey presto 1 seat with top box - sunken bracket means when box not in place don't really see it! But beware with the box fitted it is more difficult to get on the bike.

I'd offer to do it but you'd need to come to my place (insert smily thumbs ups but some git has nicked it) found it [smiley=thumbsup.gif] apologies no git nicked it just moved it lol

Jon_W
08-01-11, 03:04 PM
Is a good idea SF and I'msure not too difficult. As said above, you'd need to be able to remove the top box, but that should make mounting easier.

Am happy to help, but eing in Trow, it is a bit of a distance....

spudgun
09-01-11, 09:07 AM
Buy a big rucksack, roll your clothes so they don't crease - take all the week's clothes to work on Monday and hang them up, ride tues, wed, thurs totally empty and cart them all home on a friday for washing!

If you put a top box on the rear seat - you are going to look silly trying to get on & off the bike - you wont be able to swing your leg over in the conventianal manner

Mitch9128
09-01-11, 10:21 AM
Or do as i do, leave a pair of jeans and a hoody in work to wear, until people start complaining of the smell, wait 3 months and swap out.

Carbonkid
09-01-11, 11:39 AM
I've got one of these -

http://www.fastbag.com/english/produkter_e.html

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/carbonkid390/12072010099.jpg

8-)

I got it off Ebay a few years ago. Easy to paint to match it to bike. Made of fibreglass I think.
Attached via concealed straps. It expands upwards too... :)

nobby
09-01-11, 12:43 PM
just checked this out seems to me to be just the job!!!