PDA

View Full Version : helmet recommendation

silly_simon
09-01-11, 09:55 PM
As title really I am after a relatively inexpensive helmet that has a chin curtain built in ?

I have been considering the shark and HJC ones but any others I should be looking at?

Robf
09-01-11, 09:56 PM
not entirely sure, but i know that with the HJC one it can be removed, so in theory you could choose any helmet and buy the chin curtain to put into the helmet

Davey
09-01-11, 10:04 PM
Any one that fits you properly - get yourself to a dealership and start sticking lids on your noggin

R1chie
09-01-11, 10:48 PM
Any one that fits you properly - get yourself to a dealership and start sticking lids on your noggin

What he says

wiltshire builders
09-01-11, 11:14 PM
Don't forget that it will losen up after a while. Also better helmets you can change the pads. So if a standard medium is a little loose you could get bigger pads and customise the fit.

For me and my melon, nothing fits like an Arai and I've tried everything. Trouble is they don't come cheap. What feels good in the showroom might start to pinch after a few miles on the road. Don't forget to check the date of manufacture and shop around. I saved £100 on my last one.

BladeTriple
10-01-11, 07:44 AM
GW's in Swindon have a lot of very good lids in their bargain basement just a matter of finding the one that feels right to you and suits your needs.... They won't be the most up to date or modern paint jobs on them but you can pick up a decent brand from about £120 plus from Suomy , Shoei and Shark. Likes been said before , try before you by, what fits and suits your head and face shape won't always be the same for the guy next to you , after all its you that has to live in there , lids are possibly THE most personal piece of bike gear you can buy IMHO x

Jon_W
10-01-11, 08:08 AM
Fowles or GW's have a big stock of lids, go and try lots of different ones and see which fit's your bonce best!

Davey
10-01-11, 09:16 AM
If you are unsure of the fitment - ask a staff member they are trained by the manufacturers

but heres a helpful link from Arai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqLJRUgoTZ4&feature=player_embedded

Mitch9128
10-01-11, 09:23 AM
I've got a Caberg V2 as a spare helmet, couldn't resist when i saw it for £50 at Infinity. Really comfy fit, all the lining etc comes out for washing, cheek pads can be changed for different sizes, internal visor which is a brilliant idea, and way quieter than my Arai. Only downside is the seatbelt fastener on the strap, never feel too safe with them, but it gets 5* on the shark rating, maybe worth a look?

Squashed_Fly
10-01-11, 09:29 AM
We have 2 HJC's that are only 3 months ol but we are selling. We bought the wrong sizes (not acounting for the fact that after a few uses they mould to your face!) so we have 2 helmets too big. I wear a balaclava under mine to get the fit better (or use Jens if she's not riding) and she also wears her hoodie under to get the fit better.

I would never normally recommend buying second hand helmets, but we do have the receipts and bags/accesories with them. I'll just get a smaller one then.

If you're interested, they are an XL and a M. Make me an offer I can't refuse.....

Jacde
10-01-11, 12:04 PM
Simon
I love Shoei as I find them so much lighter than other helmets I've tried.
Make sure you have your jacket on when you try helmet to make sure you can move your bonce around without any interference, also stick the lid on and walk around shop for a while, if it starts to hurt or irritate then try something else.
As bladetriple said, GW's bargin basement has heaps of 'last season' lids and varying prices. :)

Jacde
10-01-11, 12:07 PM
We have 2 HJC's that are only 3 months ol but we are selling. We bought the wrong sizes (not acounting for the fact that after a few uses they mould to your face!) so we have 2 helmets too big. I wear a balaclava under mine to get the fit better (or use Jens if she's not riding) and she also wears her hoodie under to get the fit better.

:o :o :o
Don't use a hoodie to make a helmet fit better!!

Nelly
10-01-11, 12:21 PM
I love my Shoei.
Did have an HJC for a while but i find them waaaaay to noisy. Youre better off shelling a few quid more than you would want to and get the quality.

Green Man
10-01-11, 06:06 PM
I’ve had all sorts of lids over the years and the last 3 lids ive had have all been Shoei I find them the best fit for me but its all down to personal preference
[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Angel
10-01-11, 06:56 PM
I only wear Sharks lol, :)
Go to GW's in Swindon a mass selection loads to try on and get the best value for your money ;)

silly_simon
10-01-11, 09:11 PM
Cheers guys :) and girls :-*

I used to wear AGV helmets but they no longer do the shell size for me anymore :(