PDA

View Full Version : ROAD TAX

ChrisJo
10-01-11, 12:30 PM
Just a thought.....

My other half (Jo) recently took delivery of a new car (Corsa Eco-Flex), free Road tax for the 1st year then £30 a year there after.

My Divvi has lower emissions then her car yet my road tax is £60 WHY???? :-/

Squashed_Fly
10-01-11, 02:47 PM
If your car emits less than 100g CO2 per sq/m then it's free

Ducatista
10-01-11, 02:57 PM
My Divvi has lower emissions then her car yet my road tax is £60 WHY????

Do you mean in absolute terms?
Have you worked it out per person?

jonnydangerous
10-01-11, 02:58 PM
bloody wrong if you ask me.......
sodding "bean counters" set the levels of costs, with no consultation with engineers....
why does a 125cc 2 stroke, £15 a year with hydrocarbon level measured in buzillions of parts per million! cost less that a cat equipped larger bike????....

fekkin eejits!

Uber Dave
10-01-11, 03:11 PM
To be honest I think most of us with bigger bikes are getting a good deal on the way its done at the moment at maybe the expense of the lower capacity bikes. I am betting if they worked out the carbon emissions on an R1 and then banded it the same as cars it would be more than £60!

Edit: After some research (its surprisingly difficult to find emissions figures for bikes) but the only figures I could find on an R1 were around 170g Co2/100KM, the Govt costs from this website http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524 puts the tax at £180 for 12 months.

I will stick with £60 thanks...

jonnydangerous
10-01-11, 03:54 PM
cat equipped? or early carbed model???...

i had a GSXR750 (carbed model, big cams etc) that sent the CO meter off the scale.....thats 9.9%+ when my 2.0 litre cavalier sri (with cat) was putting out approx 0.1%.....

cats make a hoooooge difference....

Squashed_Fly
10-01-11, 04:53 PM
emissions figures for an R1 were around 170g Co2/100KM

That's per 100km, so you can divide that down to 1.7g/km so in fact it should actually be free!

A bike with an engine the size of the smallest car, pushing a load that weighs a fraction of that of a car, should not be taxable at all if you use emmisions as a guideline

BladeTriple
10-01-11, 05:31 PM
Mustn't grumble about car tax , just had the renew through for my 1.6tdci Ford Focus and we've had a £30 reduction to £90 for a years tax down from £120 for every year since I brought it back into the UK

Uber Dave
10-01-11, 06:14 PM

That's per 100km, so you can divide that down to 1.7g/km so in fact it should actually be free!

A bike with an engine the size of the smallest car, pushing a load that weighs a fraction of that of a car, should not be taxable at all if you use emmisions as a guideline

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252075

That's the link where I found the data from, I am having a bad maths day so the figures above in my last post were wrong. Looking at it again, its 17072 gCO2/100km so that;s 170g/km

>:(

Taylor86
10-01-11, 06:55 PM
My car tax this year was £220... Not a happy bunny!!!

Curses4u
10-01-11, 07:07 PM
Kinda on the tax/government subject.. What is funny is they try to srll the car to be a more environently friendly car ad the goverment back it with lower tax, because it has the word "eco" infront of the engine name, so one would assume that it has super low emmissions or some thing good to do with the environment, but I asked Vauxhall what it really ment, they replied "atleast 70% of the platic parts on the engine have been recycled" lol?!? I thought this was quote miss leading if you ask me!!! :P ;D

Flying Half-Dutchman
10-01-11, 07:55 PM
My Beamer just cost me £205 to tax for another year (obviously not a bike) :'(

Toph
10-01-11, 08:16 PM
bloody wrong if you ask me.......
sodding "bean counters" set the levels of costs, with no consultation with engineers....
why does a 125cc 2 stroke, £15 a year with hydrocarbon level measured in buzillions of parts per million! cost less that a cat equipped larger bike????....

fekkin eejits!
OI!!! leave 125cc 2 strokes alone!!!! ha ha !! ;D

redken1
10-01-11, 10:11 PM
Ye my vauxhall combo van has a 1.25 cc engine and the tax equates to £200, yet my cousin has the same engine in his panda and he pays £35 per year. >:(

Gerry
10-01-11, 10:20 PM
Ye my vauxhall combo van has a 1.25 cc engine and the tax equates to £200, yet my cousin has the same engine in his panda and he pays £35 per year. >:(

Makes my £200 PA for 3 litre, twin turbo, cats in the garage a good result ;D

Scotty
10-01-11, 11:52 PM

That's the link where I found the data from, I am having a bad maths day so the figures above in my last post were wrong. Looking at it again, its 17072 gCO2/100km so that;s 170g/km

Not sure where you got 170gCO2/km from Dave, if a bike's doing 40mpg, given that petrol has a density of approximately 0.8, you'd only actually be burning 57g of fuel/km, and given that one of the by-products of internal combustion is water, our engines must be very efficient CO2 generators.... :-? Sod it. it's late... beyond thinking now...

Kevinb
11-01-11, 08:50 AM
Just a thought.....

My other half (Jo) recently took delivery of a new car (Corsa Eco-Flex), free Road tax for the 1st year then £30 a year there after.

My Divvi has lower emissions then her car yet my road tax is £60 WHY???? :-/

They must also put a price on fun. You are never going to have fun in a Corsa. The extra £30 is well worh it

wiltshire builders
11-01-11, 01:06 PM
I think we've all come to the conclusion that there is no rhyme or reason to any of this eco bollox. It's just another way of taxing the hell out of the public while throwing a bone to the motor industry. (Who i'm sure show their appreciation in the form of a nice donation)
It's exactly the same in the building industry. All these adverts about saving energy and turning down the thermostat, meanwhile we are still building houses WITHOUT cavity wall insulation. Why? Because it's faster, which means bigger profits for the contractors and bigger back-handers for the local government. The poor home owners have no idea and are losing heat through their walls and have to pay the price.

Ducatista
11-01-11, 01:25 PM
meanwhile we are still building houses WITHOUT cavity wall insulation. Why?

Well our house was built in 2003 and we were told that the materials it was built from were good enough not to need cavity wall insulation (according to the building regs in place at the time).
We have since had it put in for £99 on a large 5 bed, with the majority paid for with some sort of grant.

We were told by the builders we didn't need it, but have done it anyway.

wiltshire builders
11-01-11, 02:18 PM
meanwhile we are still building houses WITHOUT cavity wall insulation. Why?

Well our house was built in 2003 and we were told that the materials it was built from were good enough not to need cavity wall insulation (according to the building regs in place at the time).
We have since had it put in for £99 on a large 5 bed, with the majority paid for with some sort of grant.

We were told by the builders we didn't need it, but have done it anyway.

Yeah I know alot of people that would say anything to sell a £250,000+ house. What they mean is "The law doesn't state that we have to put in in" Look at the windows on your house. They are smaller than on a house built 20 years ago. This means they will have a higher k value because there is less glass. Also you'll have thicker loft insulation and a condenser boiler which uses less energy. On paper this is great but it doesn't stop the heat from pouring out through the walls. It's simply a case of ticking boxes rather that asking "Does this actually work?" It's no skin off of building controls nose if there's wall insulation, so why don't they enforce it?
You were right to get the walls done. I had mine done on the same scheme for £99. All heavily subsidised by........us the tax payer!

ChrisJo
11-01-11, 06:27 PM

Not sure where you got 170gCO2/km from Dave, if a bike's doing 40mpg, given that petrol has a density of approximately 0.8, you'd only actually be burning 57g of fuel/km, and given that one of the by-products of internal combustion is water, our engines must be very efficient CO2 generators.... :-? Sod it. it's late... beyond thinking now...

well my V5 says:

O2 (g/km) = 0.930

::)

Mark_Able
11-01-11, 08:23 PM
I'd be happy to have my 1968 Dodge Charger back. 7.3litre V8, averaging 10mpg, free road tax. Lovely jubbly... :)

redken1
11-01-11, 08:32 PM
Free road tax as maybe, but 10 miles to the gallon? Be cheaper to hire a helicopter to get from A to B. :o

Mark_Able
11-01-11, 08:42 PM
The Charger was more fun Ken, and way cooool.... 8-)