PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hack

redken1
10-01-11, 10:29 PM
As many of you know I have rested my bike up over the winter months, mainly due to salt and spending twenty years riding thru the winters. I feel however, I am missing out on some great WB meets and rides. If I can save up some dosh I think I will get myself a cheap runnabout next winter. Was thinking of something like a CB 500. Any thoughts most welcome.

Lexx0r
10-01-11, 10:41 PM
FZR400, 30K miles, EXUP GREY model.
Stupidly cheap to insure.

Its the black model, runs great, has a slow puncture but on the plus side, MOT'd til mid-spring and taxed until end of this month.

New chain set on it, currently has a flat battery, but can be bumped easily, and runs perfectly considering age.

I need to make some space, could even deliver it too you (showing my confidence in the beast there) provided I got the full asking. :P

Let me know. PM me bro!x

Jon_W
11-01-11, 09:04 AM
CB500 Honda
GS500 Suzuki
ER5 Kawasaki
600 Diversion Yamaha

All similar (the Divvy is a four cylinder) and cheap. The Honda is the best, but the most expensive.

Either that or a 1980 bike (Honda Nighthawk or similar). Plenty about for sub £1k.

redken1
11-01-11, 06:31 PM
Thanks gents. Just doing a bit of research at the mo cos I'm skint after Xmas, but I aint getting any younger and wanna ride more in the winter months next year (well this year now) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Caz
11-01-11, 07:05 PM
Honda cb500
Honda cbf 600
Triumph sprint st 955i

My first, great little bike Ken [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mark_Able
11-01-11, 08:25 PM
CB500. Can't beat Honda build quality. GS500's rot (sorry Jon). Or maybe a cheap Hornet? More fun than a 500... ;)

redken1
11-01-11, 08:29 PM
Ye Mark was thinking along those lines. Had Hondas in the past and you are right - good build quality. At the end of the day it will all come down to money. Thanks tho

Snowy
11-01-11, 08:45 PM
Well, I suppose this is predicatble but think about it:

BMW K75 - easy going 750cc triple, cheap to buy, service and fix. Plenty of speed for the winter, handles well and maintenance free shaft drive. Get the faired version and the protection is good. Old mans image but who cares if you are and don't care for the winter. ;)

Jon_W
12-01-11, 07:57 AM
CB500. Can't beat Honda build quality. GS500's rot (sorry Jon). Or maybe a cheap Hornet? More fun than a 500... ;)

Total turkey's..... ;D Was properly had!!! ;D

Nah! The GS is good for what it is. The Honda is more expensive for a good reason. Go with a CB, they handle well, have plenty of go, and never seem to break!!

Ducatista
12-01-11, 10:18 AM
Any thoughts most welcome.

In my opinion, don't bother with a second bike.
We have fairly new bikes (09 and 59) and ride them throught the winter.
We pay Nooj £60 to do the ACF50 professionally, which is cheaper than buying another bike.
You can of course DIY.

redken1
12-01-11, 05:56 PM
That's a really good point I had not thought about. Would like to know a bit more about the ACF50. Does it keep the salt at bay? How long does it last? Perhaps Nooj can give me some advice. I don't want to spend all my time cleaning my bike after every ride in the winter. Many thanks to all who have responded. Most helpful.

Nooj
12-01-11, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the plug, Lisa ;)

Does it keep the salt at bay? How long does it last?

Yes, it chemically gives itself up to neutralise salty water. It lasts about 5000-6000 miles from personal experience using it on our bikes for the last three years.

Aftercare is a doddle, just hose the big lumps of salt off with cold water, occasionally wash it with the mildest car shampoo you can find and when water stops beading on the visible bits that have been treated with ACF50, wipe a little bit more on with a microfibre cloth. The quart bottles you can get should last you a year of regular cleaning, the optimum coating is only a few microns, so you hardly need to put any on.

After a thorough clean I spray the ACF50 on with a paint gun at 100psi so it comes out as a fine fog that gets up under the tank and inside any body panels. It creeps along all your wiring and gets into the electrical connectors protecting them against corrosion as well.

If I can get three bikes together I'm running a forum group offer of £45 a bike. Read the Protecting My Bike thread for more info.