PDA

View Full Version : 1400GTR

ChrisJo
12-01-11, 02:16 PM
Anyone here got one? What are they like, I had an FJR1300 a few years back, how do they compare?

Chreers

Chris

Robf
12-01-11, 02:47 PM
i can't offer any comparison but the bike does look nice

jonnydangerous
12-01-11, 02:56 PM
i think this is the bike that "Nelly's" mate topo has (i dont think he comes on websites any more) he loves his bike, and had great things to say about it.
he has a cbf1000(?) think thats right, and much preferres his new one.

Snowy
12-01-11, 06:28 PM
I have no insight myself but the Feb2011 issue of Bike has a test between the Kawa1400GTR, Triumph Sprint GT and BMW K1300GT. Their verdict was:

BMW= 1st
Triumph= 2nd
Kawasaki = 3rd

They summed the 1400GTR up as not altogether a bad bike, just not a great one. Snatchy power delivery, vibby and ponderous handling.

But I'm sure there are loads of owners who love theirs so take a test ride anyway.

Nooj
12-01-11, 08:21 PM
Only experience I have is sitting on one. More comfy for me then the FJR1300, but it may not be for you.

Obvious answer..... TEST RIDE!

Nelly
12-01-11, 10:19 PM
i think this is the bike that "Nelly's" mate topo has (i dont think he comes on websites any more) he loves his bike, and had great things to say about it.
he has a cbf1000(?) think thats right, and much preferres his new one.

JD is right. Topo has one and loves it. He is on here but never posts. He's very lazy :)
But...as always...horse for courses :)

Davey
13-01-11, 08:42 AM
Awesome bikes - easy to handle - comfy - powerful as you can tell I really like them :)

You may find getting a test ride difficult as they produce a limited number each year so dealers don't normally run them as demos! That along with the cost of the demo to unit sales and that they sell all quota without having a demo!

But like the majority of bikes it does take a bit to get used to and having a quick 30 min run can put you off a bike that is perfect. As for magazine reviews I would ignore them as they can be biased - riders looking for different aspects of biking than you may be etc etc

Snowy
13-01-11, 08:56 AM
The key is to test ride the bike, make your own decision and live with it. Everyone else will give their own opinion based on their own biases which is not going to be relevant to you. If you like the bike then buy it, ride it and enjoy it!

I personally wouldn't buy such an expensive bike without trying it first though. I had two test rides on my Beemer totalling about 6 hours riding time at no charge, not even fuel.

Nooj
13-01-11, 01:09 PM
You may find getting a test ride difficult as they produce a limited number each year so dealers don't normally run them as demos! That along with the cost of the demo to unit sales and that they sell all quota without having a demo!

There must be a few used ones that could be test ridden?

I do like the look of the new ones in the dark metallic green, if I was after a big tourer it would be top of my list of bikes to try. The build quality looked to be top notch on the ones at the Milan show, whereas the FJR1300 can end up looking a bit tatty, especially on the drive hub where the paint can peel off quite badly.

http://www.supamoto.co.uk/images/new%20bikes/kawasaki/2011/kawasaki_1400gtr_green.jpg

ChrisJo
13-01-11, 02:04 PM
Agreed a test ride is the way to go, but GW in Swindon don't have one and probably won't get a demo and don't have a second hand one I could try either, and they don't have any FJR1300's....

*sigh*

coopmick
13-01-11, 03:14 PM
Try Bristol Kawasaki they use to have a demo bike
http://www.bristolkawasaki.co.uk/default.shtml

Jon_W
14-01-11, 09:22 AM
If you want a test ride, go to one of the big dealers. Arriva in bristol should have one.

As Beemerman says, a test ride is the only way to see if it suits you.

Kevinb
14-01-11, 09:43 AM
If you get one change the silencer. It's horrible, sticks out the back too far and reminds me of an old MZ or Royal Enfield.

freddieb
15-01-11, 12:00 AM
Test rode this bike a couple of times and can say I liked it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]. Felt that the seating could have been a bit higher for me being over 6ft :( but I'm sure that can be sorted :). The early models had the engine heat extractor vents aimed right on your legs, great in Winter, :) deadly in the Summer [smiley=thumbdown.gif]. I believed they've modified that now ;). Yes I would buy one, If I was lucky enough with the lottery.. ;D ;D

thepetrolhead91
17-01-11, 09:59 PM
Hey there. The GTR is a stunning motorbike, especially the facelifted model. My dad has owned two of them, the first model in 2007 and now has the facelifted 2010 model. His is midnight blue and my God it looks fantastic. I have riden it and its just so eager to get up an go. Very comfortable, very reliable, sounds great but could do with an Akrapovic system haha. Definatley worth a look and a ride if your looking for a long distance, mile eating, country crossing sports tourer. I hope to adopt his when I get home from NZ to replace my NTV650 but that will be a pipe dream. Take care and hope this helps!!!!!! Tom