PDA

View Full Version : insurance quoting

NiteW4tcher
15-01-11, 09:19 PM
hey

im doing quotes for my gixxer.

now im confused on 1 thing.

declaring claims....

i have 2 accidents to declare on my car insurance....they were both in cars.

do i legally have to declare these when quoting on a bike insurance?

thanks

Dan

Ducatista
15-01-11, 09:23 PM
do i legally have to declare these when quoting on a bike insurance?

Yes.
My insurance asks about "motoring" claims.
What does the wording of the question actually say?

Are they still valid?
Usually the question asks about the last 3 or 5 years.
Were yours both in that timescale?

NiteW4tcher
15-01-11, 09:42 PM
yup 2 claims both in that time period and 3 points ooops :D

FC im looking @ 1K lol

Squashed_Fly
16-01-11, 10:26 AM
1k!!!!!! Mine was 400, before i passed my test on my ninja! Just shows how much no accidents or speeding is worth...

How old are you out of interest?

NiteW4tcher
16-01-11, 10:32 AM
im 26 on 6th feb

Honda_Star
16-01-11, 11:11 AM
I had a car accident December 2008, skidding on ice which resulted in the car almost being written off. Although it was due to road conditions, it was still classed as my 'fault' as no other vehicles were involved.

I had to declare that to my bike insurance company however I have never had an excessive insurance quote....which companies have you approached? Swinton are offering a £30 cash back at the moment and when you apply online for a quote you can enter details of any accidents, points etc? My last quotation for my Street Triple (after the cash back) for fully comp is in the region of £140 which is pretty darn good. I am 33, but being female may result in a slightly cheaper premium for me perhaps? :-/

Ducatista
16-01-11, 11:19 AM
Although it was due to road conditions, it was still classed as my 'fault' as no other vehicles were involved.

A "fault" claim simply means the insurer did not recover the money from any other party.

however I have never had an excessive insurance quote

There is a BIG difference between 1 claim (where you may be unlucky and get the benefit of the doubt) and being a serial claimer.
With 1 claim the effect tends to be small.
If you have 2 or more claims then you get penalised as you are thought to be a bigger risk.

Prices vary hugely depending on postcode, age, gender, qulification, experience, claim, convictions, job, vehicle etc. so what applies to one person cannot be generalised to another. So one company maybe good for mature females but may not be good for young males.
Different companies target different markets. If you get a horrendous quote it simply means that company don't want your business.

If you use a search engine I advise using a false email and false telephone number (but correct address and postcode).

Nooj
16-01-11, 10:40 PM
I had a car accident December 2008, skidding on ice which resulted in the car almost being written off. Although it was due to road conditions, it was still classed as my 'fault' as no other vehicles were involved.

I had to declare that to my bike insurance company however I have never had an excessive insurance quote....which companies have you approached? Swinton are offering a £30 cash back at the moment and when you apply online for a quote you can enter details of any accidents, points etc? My last quotation for my Street Triple (after the cash back) for fully comp is in the region of £140 which is pretty darn good. I am 33, but being female may result in a slightly cheaper premium for me perhaps? :-/

It helps that you live over the top of your garage out in the middle of a field, you'll have an extremely low fire and theft risk.

I'm 40 this year, have 9 years NCD, only 3 points from two years ago and I still can't get a fully comp quote for under £300. I live in a fairly big town though, and have quite a few mods to the bike, so that works against me.

Lexx0r
16-01-11, 10:42 PM
Just to confirm, due to vehicle and insurance differences.
Claims do made on a CAR or visa versa do not need to be declared.

They are now subject to total different underwriting, hence why NCD cannot be shared. Its utter bollocks if any insurer says otherwise. I work in insurance, and know this for a fact.

nobby
16-01-11, 11:40 PM
i have never had to declare if i have had a car accident when getting quotes for any of my bikes and i use different companys all the time. :)

NiteW4tcher
16-01-11, 11:42 PM
Just to confirm, due to vehicle and insurance differences.
Claims do made on a CAR or visa versa do not need to be declared.

They are now subject to total different underwriting, hence why NCD cannot be shared. Its utter bollocks if any insurer says otherwise. I work in insurance, and know this for a fact.

so you are saying i do not have to declare my car claims on my bike insurance? what would happen if i called the company involved....it is carole nash and said i do not have to declare my car claims??

Snowy
17-01-11, 07:52 AM
Whenever I get quotes I'm always asked if I have made any claims in the last 5 years. The question is never made specific between a car or a bike claim and is worded the same for car and bike quotes.

Scaredy_Cat
17-01-11, 10:26 AM
Carole Nash are very specific in their T's & C's. If you go on their website and look up Insurance FAQ's, it's the first one question on the list - yes, car claims do have to be declared.

I suppose it doesn't really matter what other companies have as policy; if you choose to go with CN, you have to accept their rules.

Ducatista
17-01-11, 11:35 AM
ebike wording is motoring claims and includes car claims.

I suggest you call the company comcerned.
Do not rely on what people say on websites.
It's your responsibility to get it right and if you get it wrong you are liable to have claims refused and even insurance refused.
If you have insurance refused you will have to declare it FOREVER and this will be a stigma that will cost you dear.
So don't take the risk of getting it wrong.
If you don't know then ask them.

If there are companies that don't want to know about car claims, then plese do let us know the names.

Snowy
17-01-11, 07:55 PM
I would imagine there is also a requirement to tell your bike insurers if you have 11 points on your license from speeding even if they were all earned driving a car. Insurers are in the business of evaluating risk and charging you accordingly. I would be sure your driving history, be it with bike or car, for speeding or accidents, is very relevant to calculating that risk and therefore in quoting for an insurance product for a bike or car.

Iceman
19-01-11, 05:27 PM
ebike wording is motoring claims and includes car claims.

I suggest you call the company comcerned.
Do not rely on what people say on websites.
It's your responsibility to get it right and if you get it wrong you are liable to have claims refused and even insurance refused.
If you have insurance refused you will have to declare it FOREVER and this will be a stigma that will cost you dear.
So don't take the risk of getting it wrong.
If you don't know then ask them.

If there are companies that don't want to know about car claims, then plese do let us know the names.

Good words and very true!Too much "hearsay" flying around.If in doubt ask the Insurance company. I for one hate the "Bull*hit" between no-claims for bikes and cars and declarations,but the laws the law and who am I to "rock the boat". :-/