PDA

View Full Version : opinions advice on GSXR600 SRAD & ZX9R 99'

Iceman
21-01-11, 04:07 PM
Ok, found a couple of bikes in my price range and want some opinions. The first is a Suzuki GSXR600 97 £1000 .Pros and cons and any problems with them?
.......the other bike is a 99 kawasaki ZXR9 for £1200 but no mot/tax and custom paintjob!
Opinions on them appreciated! ;)

Mitch9128
21-01-11, 04:17 PM
Got a C2 myself, Linky??
Check 3rd doesn't jump out on the overun after hard acceleration, new gearbox if it does. If it doesn't, fairly easy to avoid complications, so don't fret about it. Fast, grunty, firm suspenders, can hoist it's skirts and run with most bikes, what's not to like apart from the monstrous paint schemes? If it's got a custom paint job, chances are it's been down the road.
More info here http://www.zx-9r.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28097

Iceman
21-01-11, 05:02 PM
"Mitch9128", thanks for the input on the ZX9R. The bike's only done 21k but am wondering about the custom paint job.It's not just the panels but the whole bikes been sprayed.Forks,disks centre, frame,back frame,trailing arms,wheels etc purple/green. The bloke sound genuine and the p/job must have cost a fortune.

Mitch9128
21-01-11, 05:06 PM
Is this 'thing' online? It sounds an abomination, personally i'd just walk away, keep looking and there are std clean bikes for the money you've got.

Squashed_Fly
21-01-11, 05:06 PM
They've sprayed the brake disks????

Iceman
21-01-11, 05:20 PM
here's the pic from the ad

http://www.therevcounter.com/for-sale-motorbikes/59804-bargain-1999-zx9r-21k-cos-wife-says-too-many-bikes.html

Mitch9128
21-01-11, 05:55 PM
I've seen that before somewhere, where is it geographically?

Iceman
21-01-11, 06:18 PM
I've seen that before somewhere, where is it geographically?

Near Leads,North England.What do you think?

Scotty
21-01-11, 06:21 PM
Hmmm, all a matter of taste I guess... The C-model ZX-9Rs had the best paint schemes of all the different iterations, nice and understated, one colour with a black bellypan, no shellsuit graphics :) As suggested, maybe it has been down the road - not a problem in itself as long as everything's still straight, perhaps getting second-hand panels of different colours meant needing a paintjob, but were you to buy it (and it could be fine), come the time to sell and the same questions will be asked all over again.
IMHO the only paintjob on a sportsbike should be a good race colourscheme, custom jobbies and airbrushing belong on choppers and streetfighters...
It's a buyer's market so unless you particularly want that bike I'd keep your eyes open for a standard one (easier to sell afterwards too).
As for the old SRAD gixxer 600s, they'll have had the tits thrashed off them and probably not been ever-so-well cared for... but, the choice is yours... caveat emptor

Mitch9128
21-01-11, 06:24 PM
Well it is a C1/2, you'd have to check the v5 to be sure which. I'm sure i saw the ad on ZX9r.net, can you post the link to the ad?

Mitch9128
21-01-11, 06:44 PM
Weeksy's Srad has gone, i'd wait till you have cash in the bank to look at this price point Iceman.

Iceman
21-01-11, 06:44 PM
"Mitch", the ads posted along with the pic mate!

(revcounter).If you're not on their site you'll need to register.

Like I said, the bloke was real nice and the price is certainly a bargain for a 99' model. It's just the paintwork that bothers me especialy spraying the frame & disks/forks to match.I've never seen a bike sprayed all over outside a custom chopper.

wiltshire builders
21-01-11, 06:48 PM
Walk away! There are plenty more out there.

I had an SRAD for a few years. It's quite a focused bike and quite hard work to ride quickly. You have literally got to be "on it" and constantly firing through the gears. If you're not in the right gear at the right time it either bogs down or shoots off.
Having said that it is a very satisfying bike, because you feel very involved and handles very well for its age.

Right now the important stuff. Being a Suzuki the build quality is not the best. The fork legs are prone to pitting which will eventually split the seals. Being a carb model they suffer from icing so not too good in the winter months. Alot of them have been raced so check for any obvious damage. The fairing come off really easy so take a set of allen keys and a pozzie have a good look. The cam chain tensioners have a tenancy to go. Rev it hard then snap it shut. If there's a rattle you'll probably need a new one. Check the headrace bearings for play or clunking.
Alot have got after market bits and iridium tat. Have they got the originals? If not why not? Being 13 years old it will have changed hands alot and bits get lost but It was known as a hooligans bike for a reason.

If it was my money I'd probably go for the kawi. You'd certainly get more bike for your money. Just not the one in the pic. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

wiltshire builders
21-01-11, 06:55 PM
Looks tidy apart from the top fairing.

Iceman
21-01-11, 07:26 PM
"Wiltshire builders", Thanks for the input mate.Much appreciated,and looks like I'm looking at the Kawasaki then or maybe a Honda? :)

Mark_Able
21-01-11, 09:40 PM
CBR600 for that sort of money. Even if it's been abused, it'll still be good. :)
I wouldn't touch a bike that's had that much paintwork done. What's wrong with the look of the original frame, that it needs a paintjob. Nothing, unless it's been stuffed... :(