PDA

View Full Version : Cheap oil at Halfrauds

Mitch9128
13-01-11, 12:34 PM
Just popped in to the local Halfords, £18.74 for 5 litres of 10w40 semi. There is a sale on all own brand oils, not sure about Castrol etc for all you Rothchild types.

Hazel-nut
13-01-11, 01:16 PM
i will make sure dabz pops down this weekend then to get some a bit cheaper [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Gaz
13-01-11, 09:43 PM
Got mine,good deal at 25% off. :)

pilninggas
13-01-11, 11:12 PM
Dunno if they've changed the formula, but i put it in my FZR1000 about 5 years ago (the S/S) and it made the clutch slip like crazy.

Had to swap it straight-out for Rock-oil, to get the clutch back!

Nooj
14-01-11, 12:14 AM
I'd use cheapy Halfords oil in my van, but I don't know if I'd want it in my bike. I tend to stick to Bel-Ray, which is what my chum (ex Aprilia UK technical manager) used when he did the servicing on it.

The Missus always gets Castrol for her bikes, but she earns a lot more than I do :)

Mitch9128
14-01-11, 06:53 AM
A workmate uses nothing but Halfords deisel oil in his K3 GSXR, never had a problem ever. I put 85k on my last bike using nothing but Halfords bike semi, i reckon you are paying an extra £10 for GPS to be cherry red!

Jon_W
14-01-11, 08:18 AM
Oh, thanks for the tip.

jonnydangerous
14-01-11, 11:19 AM
i had a "Vauxhall trade club card" and long life semi (genuine stuff, 20,000 mile drain intervals in diesels) was £40 for three lots of 5litres and they threw in a fourth for free! i used this oil in all of my bikes for the last 5 or 6 years, and NO probs at all.....
i advertised it on here a while ago and no one was interested......so it lapsed and is now closed.... :-(

maybe Dabs could ring Vauxhall in Andover and request a Trade Club Card application form, in the name of the club?

massive savings on genuine vauxhall spares too.

also, Halfords also do a trade club, and might also give a trade club card and discounts........might be worth investigating????......

Mitch9128
14-01-11, 11:54 AM
i had a "Vauxhall trade club card" and long life semi (genuine stuff, 20,000 mile drain intervals in diesels) was £40 for three lots of 5litres and they threw in a fourth for free! i used this oil in all of my bikes for the last 5 or 6 years, and NO probs at all.....
i advertised it on here a while ago and no one was interested......so it lapsed and is now closed.... :-(

maybe Dabs could ring Vauxhall in Andover and request a Trade Club Card application form, in the name of the club?

also, Halfords also do a trade club, and might also give a trade club card and discounts........might be worth investigating????......

I've been trying to get a trade card out of Halfrauds for some time, no amount of blags have worked yet. Electronic engineering degree doesn't cut it, you need a mechanic qualification :(

jonnydangerous
14-01-11, 12:52 PM
Salisbury one does it if you take in a few receipts for parts that youve bought from other motorfactors, such as Camberly Autofactors etc...

crewy
14-01-11, 08:32 PM
I have a Halfords trade card, gets you some great discounts, and also get sent some great deals to. Most things i seem to get 40% off [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Richzx10r
15-01-11, 05:22 PM
I have a trade card also.Dont think you need a mechanical qualification to get one.All i did was take in my apprenticeship papers.Like others have said,you get some cracking discounts.

Dabz
15-01-11, 05:54 PM
Got the last 5l 10w40 in Trowbridge today :)

Nooj
16-01-11, 12:54 AM
Hmmmm, wonder if I'd be eligible? No motor trade certificates, but I work with bikes for a living, how would I go about proving it?

Spider1981
16-01-11, 08:27 AM
im goin to have to find some thanks for the tip

crewy
20-01-11, 11:35 AM
Hmmmm, wonder if I'd be eligible? No motor trade certificates, but I work with bikes for a living, how would I go about proving it?

You need to prove you work in the motor trade. They will accept, nvq's and city and guilds certificates, contract of work, pay slip or a letter from your employer. But from people i know, you must either work at a garage, body shop or AA/RAC to get acard

Iceman
20-01-11, 01:51 PM
Good sale price! ;)

Richzx10r
21-01-11, 10:02 PM
I dont work in the motortrade.Im in engineering(medical).All i did was present them with my apprenticeship/qualification papers.

Carbonkid
21-01-11, 11:26 PM
I use Halfords Semi in my bike and I change my oil every 4000miles. Nothing wrong with it, plus it's a lot cheaper - especially as I also have a Halfords Trade Card. ;)

I got my card a few years ago. I just flashed my RAF ID and said I was an Engineer, which I am, but on Aircraft. 8-)

bobf279
22-01-11, 06:51 PM
Checked out Trowbridge today and still none on the shelf, have to go to Frome tomorrow

Red Zed 1
22-01-11, 09:21 PM

I've been trying to get a trade card out of Halfrauds for some time, no amount of blags have worked yet. Electronic engineering degree doesn't cut it, you need a mechanic qualification :(
i work for skurrays vauxhall in marlborough so i will enquire about trade club,also i will enquire about halfords trade club myself..will let you know.. :)