PDA

View Full Version : Withdrawal kicking in for my bike....

Iceman
19-01-11, 05:28 PM
SO! I've been without a bike for 2 months now since binning the ZX6R after the demise of its'gearbox ,(the 2nd kawasaki with failed box)and the withdrawal is kicking in bad now. :'( I'm even having dreams about bikes. So,I've saved up a few pennies(£1200) so far, and dreaming for the day I'll have 2 wheels again! I've no Idea what the wife thinks as I moan & grump for all things bike and pace up n'down the living room thinking of ways to raise some more pennies! lol

..yeh I got it bad.Once a biker always a biker it seems!
;D

Nooj
20-01-11, 12:20 AM
Tell me about it!! I've not ridden my bike since the August bank holiday! I couldn't afford to re-tax it then, so started stripping it down ready for this winter's jobs. I'm now waiting on parts and can't do any more till they turn up.

I need a pair of adaptors to fit some risers to my top yoke for a handlebar conversion I'm doing (clip-ons are off the bike). Until they arrive I can't fit the bars to the yoke, which means I can't fit the yoke, ignition barrel, throttle and switch gear which means I can't check the mirror clearance or check the throttle cable length which means I can't balance the bored out throttle bodies I've also fitted.

When that's all fitted and working (may need new mirrors and brake lines as well depending on clearance) I've got a different swingarm to go one, but will need to replace the chain, sprockets and cush drives together with it.

When that's done it'll need a new fuelling map for the new throttle bodies.

When that's done it'll need a new front tyre and tax.

When that's done HOPEFULLY I can get a couple of rides in before my MoT and insurance run out again in April!!

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGH! >:(

crewy
20-01-11, 12:27 PM
Not been able to ride since september, noticed on the ducati that the cush drive had come loose, which then made the rear sprocket loose and rub against the swing arm and eccentric hub. So had to get new one's, but to remove the swing arm i had to drop the engine out, so i thought it better to get the frame sprayed so waiting on it to come back before i can put her together again

Jon_W
20-01-11, 12:30 PM
Good man!

Multiple bikes are the way to go. Ensures there is always a two wheeled fix available.

You should be able to get a decent bike for £1200....

Nooj
20-01-11, 01:15 PM
Tried that. It always ended up they'd need tax, MoT, tyres or some other job or repair doing together.

Maybe three bikes is the answer?

Morticia
20-01-11, 01:55 PM
Tried that. It always ended up they'd need tax, MoT, tyres or some other job or repair doing together.

Maybe three bikes is the answer?

I had 3, the sv gave problems often, the cbr always, the gixxer never. So the cbr got fixed and sold. The sv is sooooooooooooo scared he's next that he now works perfectly well. ;D

Iceman
20-01-11, 02:48 PM
Yeh...now got near £1400 and mounting! Soon have a bike. yes yes yes! :) Oh, incase anyones wondering, since finnishing work at RAF Lyneham and settling down here in sunny Devon,kinda semi retired, I cannot get bike credit. Bummer! :( ...so gotta save!

StreetHippo
20-01-11, 04:33 PM
What was your job at the secret airbase in Wiltshire?
Surely you'll have a decent credit rating?

Stu 8-)

Iceman
20-01-11, 04:55 PM
"Street Hippo", nothing to do with my work at Lyenham,but credit rating means nothing If you're not working! period!!
I'm squeeky clean.No criminal record.Absolute clean driving Licence in over 35 years. A model Citizen 8-) but If you aint working you aint worth a dime! >:( I'm sent out to pasture,so to say until I find work. Anyway, living down here is nice.30 yards from the beach.Fantastic roads with little traffic especialy up on Dartmoor,

While we're on about RAF Lyneham,. The Hercules fleet leaves Lyneham for good this year with the base gradualy closing down by next year.I've been involved with Lyneham since the 70s' when the Britannia and Comets stood with pride alongside the Hercules. It's a sad day indeed that cutbacks have come to this! :(

Flying Half-Dutchman
20-01-11, 11:26 PM
Yes. Very sad :(

quimby
21-01-11, 06:51 PM
Hope everyone gets sorted very soon,I get withdrawal symptoms if I've not been on the bike for a couple of days :(

Iceman
23-01-11, 02:00 AM
Sorted now! Picked up this rather clean example,a ZX6R G1.

quimby
23-01-11, 11:25 AM
Nice clean bike mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

crewy
23-01-11, 11:54 AM
Excellent news, nice looking bike too [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

redken1
23-01-11, 12:33 PM
Nice bike - I've always liked The Kawasaki green. My son just acquired a new Focus RS in a similar green - looks awesome. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

R1chie
23-01-11, 04:43 PM
Is it a crash repaired bike?

Iceman
23-01-11, 05:40 PM
"r1chie", No, he wanted it to look like the later green bikes!

6T
23-01-11, 07:04 PM
nice bike and good to hear you have a ride again [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Scotty
23-01-11, 07:08 PM
I guess that Richie's asking because the fairing has been resprayed, they weren't plain green as standard, they had purple graphics and I think the top of the tanks were black too... :-?

R1chie
23-01-11, 07:41 PM
I guess that Richie's asking because the fairing has been resprayed, they weren't plain green as standard, they had purple graphics and I think the top of the tanks were black too... :-?

Not sure about the tanks, but they certainly had purple and white graphics on the fairings, plus purple on the tail unit as well.

As well as that, I'm not sure why the rear subframe and swingarm is black yet the frame isn't.

nobby
23-01-11, 08:04 PM
my son in law has the same bike,his has got the purple/white graphics on the fairing and tail unit also top of the tank is purple, swinging arm and rear sub frame are the same silver colour as the frame.

Iceman
23-01-11, 08:08 PM
.....regards the respray,no the bike is not a rebuild or damaged bike.The seller hated the 2 tone colour scheme and prefered the more modern one colour,like the pic below.So had the bike sprayed to match later models which were all green and black frames,but never bothered finnishing it off after deciding to sell for a family car...hence part black sub frame while other parts were silver. Personally I like the bike and the colour scheme which does give it a more modern appearance.
;) I plan to finnish the job myself as I too hate multi coloured bikes!Like my cars I prefer one colour! Personal taste really!
He even removed the wheel/chain guard to match while I prefer to have them on. Simple as that!
But I appreciate you all taking an interest and pointing things out which I already knew anyway,but still nice to know you care! :) regards

Scotty
23-01-11, 08:11 PM
Well spotted.... the plot thickens.... :-?

R1chie
24-01-11, 06:53 AM
But I appreciate you all taking an interest and pointing things out which I already knew anyway,but still nice to know you care! ;)

Not sure what tone that was meant to be in but I'd ask the same questions to anyone looking at buying a bike which doesn't look like it should on the basis of safety grounds. The last thing I want is for someone to cream in on a bike that is of unsound nature especially if I had recognised some 'mistakes' to it beforehand.

If you knew then that's fine, obviously my understanding of the phrase 'a clean bike' is different to yours.