PDA

View Full Version : Tyre profils.Opinions please!

Iceman
23-01-11, 08:36 PM
Wanting some opinions on tyre sizes please. I see over the years manufactures tweaking tyres.mainly the front height. just want to hear what you prefer. 120/70 120/65 or 120/60. I'm told 60 will turn in quicker,but 70 offers better grip when steeply banked! I'm no expert so want to hear from the experts on here as soon I may fit new tyres! I know the bikes come with preset profiles but nevertheless manufacturers have changed settings over the years.Also some bikes,especialy toures have large heights.

Nooj
24-01-11, 01:22 AM
Depends what the rear profile is, you need the tyres to work as a pair.

Jon_W
24-01-11, 11:15 AM
Just fit the profile the OEM recommends. You'll find no problems there.

Squashed_Fly
24-01-11, 11:24 AM
Wanting some opinions on tyre sizes please. I see over the years manufactures tweaking tyres.mainly the front height. just want to hear what you prefer. 120/70 120/65 or 120/60. I'm told 60 will turn in quicker,but 70 offers better grip when steeply banked! I'm no expert so want to hear from the experts on here as soon I may fit new tyres! I know the bikes come with preset profiles but nevertheless manufacturers have changed settings over the years.Also some bikes,especialy toures have large heights.

As Jon W says :)

All that stuff about grip, and quicker turn in etc will depend on the whelbase length, steering rake, height of the yokes amongst lots of other things. That's why the recommendation is different for each bike. The key thing is once you have gone as fast as it's physically possible to go on standard settings (a feat not many ever achieve), then you can start playing about with things to make you quicker still. If you can't hit the magic numbers on standard settings, making lots of changes will just be confusing as you'll never know quite what to change in future.

Apologies if you're already in that category of super quick riders, don't mean to sound patronising.

Uber Dave
24-01-11, 04:31 PM
A 70 profile probably would provide more grip in the right hands on a track, on a road at sensible speeds it would be negligible.

crewy
24-01-11, 04:36 PM
I would stick with what kawasaki suggest. The bike would have been tested for the best all round tyre by them. Plus are you going to be banking it over with your knee down all the time or just general riding?

Scotty
24-01-11, 05:43 PM
Until 600s were fitted with 70 profiles as standard they were often criticised in reviews for "dropping into" turns which could be un-nerving for inexperienced riders. If there's enough clearance under the mudguard it'd probably be ok to run a 70 profile on a 600 (they'll use the same wheels as 750/1000 model variants most of the time) You could always check with a reputable supplier and fitter of motorcycle tyres - try Bike Treads in Swindon - they'll also happily remove wheels from a bike and fit the tyres too... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Snowy
24-01-11, 05:49 PM
If your using non OEM sizes you may want to clear it through your insurers first that it won't invalidate your policy. If you give them a reason not to pay out they won't.

Mark_Able
24-01-11, 08:10 PM
The larger the side-wall, the more 'give' can be achieved, which can give better feedback to the rider, and also spread the tread, hence more grip (providing the pressures are adjusted to suit). The shallower side-walls give less flex, less feedback, marginally less grip, but turn in more rapidly. I like quick steering bikes. A favourite of mine was the original Fireblade fitted with MEZ1's (we're talking mid-90's). Wasn't the quickest bike, but made up for it with quick steering.

No offence, but you won't notice any difference in all three profiles, on the road. The place it makes a difference is on the track. ;)

whizz
24-01-11, 08:32 PM
the best way and safest way is to run your bike on the tyre recommended for the bike- suspension settings etc will all be affected by running on an incorrect tyre size, the only time it would be of benefit is for a race or track bike ! the standard road tyres offer the best performance for most people! :)

Iceman
24-01-11, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the input! I agree,stick with the recommended settings as the bike came with! :)