PDA

View Full Version : Bike Safe

Mitch9128
25-11-10, 02:12 PM
Dear Mitch9128

As discussed on the phone Colin Reeves, from Wiltshire Council looks after the bookings for the Bikesafe events and we've just agreed next years (2011) dates as follows;

17th. April, 15th. May, 12th. June, 3rd. July, 7th. August, 4th.
September.

Colin can be contacted on 07770 695792 or 01793 466399.

So anybody done it, got comments etc etc?

Ducatista
25-11-10, 02:45 PM
I did it in 2005.
Definitely worth doing if you haven't been before.
The police guys are really nice and not judgmental at all.
I know we all like to buy nice bikes and gear which is good, but we definitely need to invest in the rider also.
Don't leave it too late to sign up as it's gets full especially over the summer months.

Usually the ROSPA and IAM guys are there as well and usually the IAM offer a £15 cashback voucher if you sign up there and then on the day. (ROSPA is £25 including a £13 book so they can't make it any cheaper).

I am glad they are continuing with this as I thought it might be a victim of public sector cuts this time.
So that's another reason for doing it this year. It may well not be around for ever or at least may not be FREE forever - was that the magic word ;)

igbell
25-11-10, 02:56 PM
I did do it ages ago and I still remember what they told me and how to ride, to be honest I could do with going again to boost my Knowledge

Mitch9128
25-11-10, 03:04 PM
These dates were only confirmed yesterday, a Sgt over at Swindon sent them over to me. I've rang and got my name down, will get on the first available, god knows i need it :)

Dabz
25-11-10, 03:15 PM
I've done it twice, well worth doing!

Squashed_Fly
25-11-10, 03:46 PM
Just put my name down as well for the 17th Apr. Had a great chat with the lady there - Margaret. Nice to see some valuable training available, free of charge

Robf
25-11-10, 03:50 PM
i did it earlier this year, the thought of being followed by a police officer is daungting, but they are there to inform you about what they think you need to fix with your riding, when i went they told me to do a sholder check going into higher speed limits, incase your being overtaken, but most of the day is spent in a classroom being instructed on how to take corners properly, and where the safest position on the road is to sit.

However i thought it was worth going to, and i even signed up to the IAM skills for life course after going on the bikesafe. =)

Mitch9128
25-11-10, 03:51 PM
To those that have done it, is it advisable to have a 'fully' legal bike for the day?

Robf
25-11-10, 03:51 PM
yes your bike need to be taxed, MOT'd and have a legal amount of rubber.

Mitch9128
25-11-10, 03:54 PM
Cheers Rob, they're obvious, i was more concerned with plate size, stamps on exhausts, baffles etc

Robf
25-11-10, 03:59 PM
um, i believe they don't mind too much as long as it's not too loud, and as long as the plate isn't ridiculously small, however if they find your bike isn't legal enough they just won't let you out on the road with them, i believe, however it may be best to check with someone that is a police officer

also another point, the bikesafe in wiltshire is free, however in other counties it can cost you around £70, Wiltshire bikesafe used to require a £10 check which they didn't cash if you where there at the event.

Ducatista
25-11-10, 04:05 PM
The police guys are not judgemental, want to be as friendly as possible and they really want you to do the training.
If you have completely bald tyres or something about your bike is unsafe (really loose chain) then they won't take you out as there are obvious safety implications. Occassionally people do get turned away.

I don't think they will be too picky about number plates, indicators, or exhaust, but don't push your luck with anything blatant as remember they have to consider their own liability and act professionally and they are being paid to be there.

One thing you will find strange when riding with the police is that everyone else starts driving at the speed limits and sometimes they will even pull over and let you pass. It's like the parting of the waves sometimes.

Mitch9128
25-11-10, 04:17 PM
Cool Duc, not asking for me like, a mate who's coming along, one of those crazy GSXR types :)

Bornagain
25-11-10, 05:02 PM
Just called and booked me and Col in for 3rd July...i'm now nervously waiting for the joining form!! I doubt these dates will take long to fill :-?

Dabz
25-11-10, 05:16 PM
3rd july you're in cornwall camping mate ;)

Nelly
25-11-10, 05:20 PM
I did it a couple of years ago and loved the day. Great to see everyone pulling out of the way when they look in the mirror to find a ninja being chased by a policeman ;)

Bornagain
25-11-10, 05:33 PM
3rd july you're in cornwall camping mate ;)

Oops...Me and Col checked that date as well...how the hell did we miss that! Gonna have to change the bikesafe day!! Numpties :D :D

Jacde
25-11-10, 05:42 PM
Once I've worked out my shift pattern for next year I'm going to book too :)

HensonA
25-11-10, 05:48 PM
I did Bikesafe in Oct'09, a month after getting back on a bike.

It was a really good and informative day and the ride with the police motorcyclist following was excellent. Good feedback from those guys who may also encourage you to sign up for IAM / RoSPA.

Last Train
25-11-10, 06:37 PM
The course comes highly recommended from me too [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

DaytonaDog
25-11-10, 07:08 PM
I did mine last year. Fully recommend the day. At the end of the day no education is a waste and if it makes you ride just 1 per cent safer than you currently do then its worthwhile.

BB
25-11-10, 09:50 PM
I've done it twice, excellent day and very useful. Really friendly bunch too.

I did it on my 1977 Morini 3 1/2 one time and the copper said it seemed a 'challenging' bike to ride! ;D He was the senior officer there but still took me out even tho' my indicators had packed up on the way over so I was doing hand signals. :D

BB

Caz
25-11-10, 10:32 PM
Ive done it and was worth the experience weird being followed by a policeman but they were really nice. The insurance companies like it too and you get a bit more discount [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ChrisJo
26-11-10, 03:27 PM
Cheers Rob, they're obvious, i was more concerned with plate size, stamps on exhausts, baffles etc

They tend not to be to bothered about the can, unless it's obviously LOUD :o

silly_simon
26-11-10, 05:01 PM
I did one of these a while *cough* ago now and had always planned doing another one [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

What dates we looking at guys and girls then so I can attempt to get the same day booked :)

Winnie1122
26-11-10, 07:08 PM
Its a fab day with Wiltshire but check out Thames Valley Police as they have a good one too. I have completed both this year. It will be beneficial and whether you chose to use the informaion that you gain from the sessions, it is up to you! :)

wiltshire builders
27-11-10, 01:06 PM
I did it at Braeside a few years ago. It's scarey how much you suddenly realize you don't know.

They will turn a blind eye to pipes and plates but out of respect it's better to have everything legal. People see a police bike behind an illegal bike and not doing anything doesn't look good.

It's deffinately worth doing but the people who REALLY need to do it don't. I found they were preaching to the converted, if you go on the course you are already aware about how road safety is a constant concern. I was by far the youngest rider and the only one with a sportsbike.

BB
27-11-10, 01:22 PM
If I recall, when I did it on the Duke most were on sprtsbikes, Dabz & Weefrenchie were on the same one plus some other WB's.

As has been said, it's car drivers reactions when they see you being followed by a police bike that makes you smile. Part of my route while leading was along the Warminster bypass and when he stopped me he said he was going to stop me earlier but I was obviously enjoying myself! ::) ;)

BB

Jacde
28-11-10, 12:47 AM
I can do either 17 April 12 June or 4 September, will call on Monday once I wake up after night shift and book for one of these days.
Anybody booked on any of these days yet?

Squashed_Fly
09-12-10, 01:13 PM
Just had my form through by email and sent it back :)

Bornagain
16-12-10, 11:59 AM
Me and Col got our forms and sent them back with a choice of 2 dates! Roll on next year...it's all going on ;D [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jacde
16-12-10, 03:45 PM
Got my email too, need to forward it to Vivi and encourage her to get her Mod1&2 done and dusted [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mitch9128
16-12-10, 05:34 PM
That's if funding for this isn't cut before April! £20+ million drop in budget for Wiltshire council 2011, either this becomes chargeable as other counties or it's dropped. Either way, i got my name down for april ;)

Ducatista
16-12-10, 05:53 PM
Good idea Mitch.
With the councils having to make very difficult decisions, this has got to be a soft target.
Doesn't mean it would stop, but might mean you have to pay or the police are supplemented by the voluntary sector.

Snowy
16-12-10, 06:52 PM
Bikesafe may well be a soft target although Wiltshire Council do view the cost a different way than some other authorities. For every life saved there is a budget saving across the emergency services and the NHS of over £1m. Hopefully it will be safe as they view Wiltshire's casualty rate against the average across the country and we are doing well on that statistic at present. The Council is making £40m of cuts between now and April 1st with a further £30m over the following two years due to the cuts from central government funding.

Ducatista
09-02-11, 02:17 PM
Full list of dates is as follows (2 added since the post was first put up). Locations to be confirmed but has been in Devizes in the past.

Sunday 17 April
Sunday 15 May
Sunday 12 June
Sunday 3 July
Sunday 7 August
Sunday 4 September
Sunday 18 September
Sunday 9 October

There is also an event on Saturday 4th June at Castle Coombe, which is both road and track (5 or 6 laps - 15 mins) for £25.

http://www.fastbikesmag.com/2011/01/28/bikesafe-show-returns-to-castle-combe/

Iceman
09-02-11, 03:36 PM
Highly recommend you atttend If you've never been to one before. One can always learn some safety tips and you also get an evaluation of your riding ability! ;)

Nelly
09-02-11, 05:03 PM
Thinking about doing it again this year.

Green Man
09-02-11, 05:28 PM
All booked in for 7 august [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

bubblylittleme
09-02-11, 06:51 PM
Thinking of doing it again this year as did it 3 yrs ago and it was great then

Mitch9128
30-03-11, 05:16 PM
Bump, got joining instuctions today, anyone else on the April date?

xsive33
30-03-11, 08:58 PM
Booked in on the 15th of May! 8-)

Haven't had my riding assessed for about 8 years so should be interesting! ;D