PDA

View Full Version : DIY Plastic welding

lakeside
01-05-11, 12:08 AM
Hi all. I have just spent a couple hours the last two nights plastic welding broken and cracked panels on my TZR250. For anyone who has never tried this I can highly recommend giving it a go. I watched a short YouTube video the other day (there's a link below if it works). Anyway, it may not be the correct way to go about plastic welding but it does work. I used a soldering iron, a padded mask and some clear glasses (lots of toxic smoke), and after a couple of sessions I have welded the upper fairing, handlebar blisters, front mudguard and rear panels. The thing is, I wanted to see if I could repair them myself and with a little care I have been able to fix the lot, for nothing! If anyone else wants something welded I'll be happy to give it go, assuming the plastic is of a similar type! Alternatively try the link below and have a go yourself.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:jGZpEhnFOVQJ:www.sportbikes.net/forums/how-tos-section/338068-how-plastic-weld.html+solder+iron+plastic+weld&cd=6&hl=en&ct=c lnk&gl=uk&source=www.google.co.uk