PDA

View Full Version : Bike Safe

Squashed_Fly
03-05-11, 07:03 PM
Did anybody do their bikesafe last month? I've just had my letter through confirming my date for 15th May and wondered what to expect..

Mitch9128
03-05-11, 07:19 PM
Yeah, a couple of hours of vids/slides, death by powerpoint etc. Then half the group goes out with the cops, whilst the other half get's more of the same, then switch after an hour or so, back in and more vids etc. The observed ride was best, don't hold back, my mate on his GSXR 1000 rode like a mince and the cop wasn't happy, so i booted it and all was good, just stick 'around' the limit. Beware there were a few IAM/ROSPA, ooh you can't do that types there, which depending on which side of the fence you sit, were aces to wind up. All in all a good day, loud cans/black visors drew no comments from the cops, so no worries there either.

Dabz
03-05-11, 07:20 PM
I've done it twice in the past, it's excellent. Usual format is half the time in a classroom watching videos and discussing road skills, then a 2 to 1 assessed ride for 45 mins ish after which you get a debrief. Great stuff, very tempted to do the castle Combe one in June

Nelly
03-05-11, 07:56 PM
Did it a couple of years ago. A day well spent. :)

Squashed_Fly
03-05-11, 08:58 PM
Beware there were a few IAM/ROSPA, ooh you can't do that types there, which depending on which side of the fence you sit, were aces to wind up.

Don't know if I'd like that... I'm not a fan of winding people up... ;) ;D ;D ;D

Ducatista
03-05-11, 09:28 PM
Beware there were a few IAM/ROSPA, ooh you can't do that types there

Well I was there on April 17th and I know all of the IAM/ROSPA volunteers who gave up their time that day individually and I can't imagine any of them would ever say anything remotely like that.

Is this a wind up by any chance ;)

It is truly pathetic if you really did want to waste the time of volunteers who do lifesaving work.

Squashed_Fly
03-05-11, 09:29 PM
Will you be there for the May one as well?

Ducatista
03-05-11, 09:33 PM
I probably won't personally be going to the May one as it clashes with the IAM rideout - unless it's horrible weather :-)
However I am pretty sure there will be both IAM and ROSPA people there who would be happy to discuss any queries with you.

Mitch9128
03-05-11, 10:10 PM
Ah was that you on the monster then? No i wasn't aiming that at you or any of the volunteers, there were a few dullards on the training who kept piping up with inane drivel questions, iirc they were called Nigel or Colin, got quite heated at one point :)

Taylor911
03-05-11, 10:27 PM
I did it last summer.
Was good fun.

They take you for a ride, give you pointers half way through then see how you ride after them.

Give you loads of info and booklets to help you.

wiltshire builders
03-05-11, 11:34 PM
Ah was that you on the monster then? No i wasn't aiming that at you or any of the volunteers, there were a few dullards on the training who kept piping up with inane drivel questions, iirc they were called Nigel or Colin, got quite heated at one point :)
There were a few of them when I did it too. Think they know it all. When we did the self assessment of riding mistakes, 0 being least likely 5 being most likely, some stupid cow announced her sheet look like binary code. Yeah bravo, you win.

Appart from that it was a good day and makes you see safety in a whole new light. (unless your assessment sheet reads like computer processer instructions)

Ducatista
04-05-11, 10:31 AM
Ah was that you on the monster then?

Cracking bit of kit :)

Most of us who are active members of IAM/ROSPA are there precisely because we believe we have more to learn. It's unfortunate if you met someone that gave you the wrong impression but please don't tarr us all with the same brush.

Mitch9128
04-05-11, 10:39 AM
Gah..digging here :) No seriously i meant to say IAM/ROSPA wannabees, the ROSPA peeps, there were 3 of you i think? were obviously touting for business, but sound. There was one particular annoying feck who was constantly asking questions he knew answers to, making the rules up as he went along etc etc he was eventually told to STFU by more than one person.

Yeah nice Monster, if a little small and girly :) You didn't spot me then? I thought i was infamous enough, and with MITCH on the back of my helmet, a bit of a giveaway :)

HensonA
04-05-11, 11:19 AM
Ah was that you on the monster then?

Cracking bit of kit :)

Most of us who are active members of IAM/ROSPA are there precisely because we believe we have more to learn. It's unfortunate if you met someone that gave you the wrong impression but please don't tarr us all with the same brush.
Hear hear ... well said Ducatista.

Ducatista
04-05-11, 11:52 AM
You didn't spot me then? I thought i was infamous enough, and with MITCH on the back of my helmet, a bit of a giveaway

No - clearly I need to work on my observation skills ;)
I'm sorry I missed you.

Mitch9128
04-05-11, 12:09 PM
You didn't spot me then? I thought i was infamous enough, and with MITCH on the back of my helmet, a bit of a giveaway

No - clearly I need to work on my observation skills ;)
I'm sorry I missed you.

Poor 'obs!