PDA

View Full Version : Disheartened Mod 2 Failure

SueZX4
05-05-11, 07:47 AM
Hello all, feeling very down in the dumps as I failed Module 2 yesterday - apparently I was riding too close to the vehicle in front of me on the ring road. This was almost at the beginning of the test - and the examiner let me know my distance was too close. I knew at the time that was a failure so went into relaxed, don't care mode - and only managed to pick up 2 minors for the rest of the test. (I was amazed there weren't more considering my frame of mind!) As soon as I heard his voice telling me off, I questioned the distance. I didn't think it was unsafe - I've been a car driver for 20 years, never been involved in a prang of any sort, so I'd like to think I'm a fair judge of gaps - ok, that's abit of an arrogant assumption, but I'm not a reckless driver - I've got 3 children! Saying that, I'm not your super-cautious type either.
The same examiner failed me twice on Mod 1, so I'm beginning to wonder if it's personal or does this bloke have a thing against women??
I may've been too close, but he nearly rammed into the back of me on a couple of occasions too! Hubby reckons for the next one - sadly not for a while now as they're pretty booked up - he's going to follow the examiner (at a distance!) and film it to see if he is being fair.
If I've made the mistakes, fair enough, but this has left me feeling really down about the whole thing :'( :'(

Jon_W
05-05-11, 08:04 AM
Oh no!

On the plus, you know that next time you can do everything well and that all you have to do is ride a little further away. Is annoying, but it could have been a lot worse.

Stick it! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hazel-nut
05-05-11, 08:51 AM
Sorry to hear that but like Jon said at least you know you can do it with only 2 minors!
Good luck for the next one whenever that is

Nokesy
05-05-11, 08:56 AM
Hey Sue, you'll be OK next time - 2 minors is pretty damn good :) Is just unfortunate .... like the idea of filming him though [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Si
05-05-11, 08:58 AM
Sorry to hear that but as already been said if you can do it with 2 minors without trying it cant all be bad. Just remember with ref to gaps and distance, cars tend to be able to stop a lot quicker than bikes :)

Roxy
05-05-11, 09:43 AM
that's a real shame :( sorry to hear that.

When I did my test 2 years ago (old style test) I remember being told by the examiner that as soon as I hit the dual carriageway outside the test centre he expected me to overtake traffic and not interfere with the 'flow' ;D ;D which I took great pleasure in doing ;) so I find it annoying that you were failed for being a little close in 'his' eyes.

Well all you can do is take positive thoughts from it, only 2 minors so next time you will walk it for sure!

Good luck [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Roxy x

Scaredy_Cat
05-05-11, 10:16 AM
Don't be too disheartened Sue, just do it 'his way' next time and pass with flying colours. ;)

I was talking with Chrissie and Basher last night about some of the things you have to do to pass your test that go out the window as soon as you get your licence - default riding position the centre of your lane, always indicating even if there's no-one to indicate to and also when the lane is marked up for one direction only, always doing lifesavers etc etc

Sorry to hear you've got a long wait for the re-test - what a pain! :(

HensonA
05-05-11, 11:49 AM
Good luck for the next time Sue .

ChrisJo
05-05-11, 11:51 AM
Chin up, try again.

In Norway the examiner rides as pillion during the whole test :o

Nico_babe
05-05-11, 11:58 AM
:( Better luck next time. Keep your chin up.... It WILL happen :)

Caz
05-05-11, 12:26 PM
Sorry to hear you failed this time but it is good that you only had two minors [smiley=thumbsup.gif] As someone who has had an accident due to being too close to a car which braked suddenly I kinda understand the reasons (I now live by the 2 second rule - when I remember ) ::)

Basher
05-05-11, 12:38 PM
Sorry to hear you failed this time but it is good that you only had two minors [smiley=thumbsup.gif] As someone who has had an accident due to being too close to a car which braked suddenly I kinda understand the reasons (I now live by the 2 second rule - when I remember ) ::)

Two second rule ::) monday night coming back from the lysley :o ;D :D :-* HEHE

BB
05-05-11, 01:31 PM
Sorry to hear this, but as has been said - you know you can do it so next time you will!

BB

Squashed_Fly
05-05-11, 01:37 PM
for the next one - sadly not for a while now as they're pretty booked up

You've probably already been told this, but just in case, it's worth checking every day for cancellations. I had to wait ages for my 3rd car test when I booked it, but a cancellation came up 10 days later and I passed.

Best of luck for the next one!

jpssantos
05-05-11, 02:33 PM
when I did my test I was told to keep a 2 second gap...

everytime a car would get in front I would count the 2secs and slow down accordingly..

SueZX4
05-05-11, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone! You've cheered me up and am feeling a little more hopeful ::)

"Squashed Fly": ironically as I was reading your comment about checking the test centre for cancellations, I had a phone call from my training school asking how I got on - they have managed to get me back in alot earlier - in 2 weeks time, which hopefully means I won't have this hanging over me for so long! Again, thanks!

Also further inspired by Beamer's success this afternoon. Determination can eventually pay off.....!!

:)

Sean.C
05-05-11, 05:33 PM
Good luck for next time . Rember the two second rule and you should be fine [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

crewy
05-05-11, 05:34 PM
Good luck for the next time, think possitive thoughts!! ;)

smellygerm
05-05-11, 06:28 PM
Chin up there's always next time ;)

bobf279
05-05-11, 06:36 PM
brush it off and try again you'll get there

Jacde
05-05-11, 06:47 PM
Hmmm, he sounds like he was having a bad day and took it out on you! You know about Tina's run in with him too so maybe to his shame he's not very female friendly >:(
Don't let a dinosaur like him get to you chick!
Good news your Mod2 has been brought forward, so good luck for next time [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Beamer
05-05-11, 08:15 PM
Sue my lovely, Im gutted you got a fail hun, but DO NOT let it put you off......keep going and stick with it......YOU CAN AND WILL DO IT!!! The bloke in question is irritating to say the least and kind of ruins the 'fun' in riding.
I am so tempted to write a letter to the test centre to say how great the other examiners are....because they are really good at making you feel relaxed and encourage you to keep going, and suggest the 'other' one take a leaf out of their book and learn the social skills they have. I know examiners have a position to uphold but there is a 'humane' way of doing this and helping testees relax a little with constructive criticism and encouragement to keep going.
You just keep on going and prove to him you can do it...I know I will....between us we could really get under his skin hehehehe, so chin up flower, you will get there and with bells on xxxx ;D :) ;D :) ;D :)

Snowy
05-05-11, 09:05 PM
Sue my lovely, Im gutted you got a fail hun, but DO NOT let it put you off......keep going and stick with it......YOU CAN AND WILL DO IT!!! The bloke in question is irritating to say the least and kind of ruins the 'fun' in riding.
I am so tempted to write a letter to the test centre to say how great the other examiners are....because they are really good at making you feel relaxed and encourage you to keep going, and suggest the 'other' one take a leaf out of their book and learn the social skills they have. I know examiners have a position to uphold but there is a 'humane' way of doing this and helping testees relax a little with constructive criticism and encouragement to keep going.
You just keep on going and prove to him you can do it...I know I will....between us we could really get under his skin hehehehe, so chin up flower, you will get there and with bells on xxxx ;D :) ;D :) ;D :)

Nothing better than relaxed testes Tina ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

RideSallyRide
05-05-11, 09:13 PM
Sorry to hear you are feeling a lil :( understandably so but 2 weeks time 'GO FOR IT'- we're all behind you Sue :)

Geordie Stu
05-05-11, 09:15 PM
Dam shame sorry to hear that :(. Next time nail it [smiley=thumbup.gif]

igbell
05-05-11, 09:32 PM
Sorry to hear it but you will do it next time

Taylor911
05-05-11, 09:34 PM
Dont give up!

Keep going at it.
You will do it, maybe just need a bit more training, prep or road craft.

Mark_Able
05-05-11, 10:20 PM

Any criticism of an examiner's attitude is normally taken quite seriously by the DSA. They will ALWAYS defend an examiner's decision, but not their attitude. You are, after all, a customer of the DSA, and as such, it is expected that you are treated accordingly. Being talked down to is not acceptable in my book. >:(

Caz
05-05-11, 10:38 PM
[/quote Two second rule ::) monday night coming back from the lysley :o ;D :D :-* HEHE
[/quote]

Dont know what you are talking about Wayne ::) :D

Mark_Able
05-05-11, 10:41 PM
Thanks everyone! You've cheered me up and am feeling a little more hopeful ::)

"Squashed Fly": ironically as I was reading your comment about checking the test centre for cancellations, I had a phone call from my training school asking how I got on - they have managed to get me back in alot earlier - in 2 weeks time, which hopefully means I won't have this hanging over me for so long! Again, thanks!

Also further inspired by Beamer's success this afternoon. Determination can eventually pay off.....!!

:)

Check your e-mails Sue. See if we can help... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Beamer
05-05-11, 10:42 PM

Any criticism of an examiner's attitude is normally taken quite seriously by the DSA. They will ALWAYS defend an examiner's decision, but not their attitude. You are, after all, a customer of the DSA, and as such, it is expected that you are treated accordingly. Being talked down to is not acceptable in my book. >:(

Its a shame there arent more people on here that have felt the 'wrath' of this man....Im not thinking about a mass moan etc but a number of letters from all the different people he has upset, put down, humiliated or caused offence to (and im sure there are a few...3 that i know of) surely would need to be addressed by his superiors etc.
Im not asking for the man to be sacked but his attitude and approach really do need to be looked at and he needs to adapt to being a 'civil servant' (as he quoted to me after my little outburst) instead of an uncivil servant.......to be honest he'd make a much better traffic warden !!
I wonder how many people out there have been offended by his approach but are unable to discuss it with anyone as they are not on a forum such as this where these sorts of topics can be discussed
Makes you think doesnt it !!

:-? :-? :-? :-?

Toph
05-05-11, 10:53 PM
I fully understand peoples gripes about this guy, I took mod 1 with him, he does need to "lighten up" a little, It's his gruff, Holier than thou attitude that gets under your skin, surely he must realise that the people who are taking tests on the day are usually at best, nervous, and at worst sh.tting themselves :o
surely a little joke, a kind word, a cheery smile would put put "testees!" at ease, make the whole experience a little less traumatic.
Traffic warden would be a perfect job for him!!! (as suggested earlier!) ;D ;D

SueZX4
06-05-11, 08:09 AM
Lol!! Traffic warden?! Head Jailor!! When I was passing my Mod 1 with a nice examiner, Simon overheard 2 other instructors criticising the bloke - apparently they'd recently had a female candidate in who was wearing a low-cut top. She had passed her mod 1 with flying colours (with someone else) and he had her for mod 2. She failed, but the first thing he said to her before even going into the officey thing for briefing was to "get dressed". Who cares what she was wearing?! Maybe it wasn't safe or protective enough?? I seriously don't think telling someone to "get dressed first" is the kindest way to suggest they are inappropriately dressed - that's if she was. Does it matter what is being warn under jackets??
Dinosaur is definitely a good way to describe him, and all of your comments are making me want to grit my teeth and do a perfect test all the more. Simon is going to follow (if it's him) at a discreet distance in the car just to see.

:D :D