PDA

View Full Version : Flashed for speeding! or not...

Taylor911
07-05-11, 06:21 PM
Very worried.

Got flashed for speeding on the way home!

For doing 30...in a 30.
Whats that all about??
I have video evidence of me not speeding, i had my GoPro on at the time, whats likely to happen?

Help :-[

Andy

470four
07-05-11, 06:49 PM
I wouldnt worry about it tbh? A lot of the cameras have been decommissioned, some have been left in place as a visual deterrent, some - like this one - still work but more than likely have no film (the main reason behind them being shutdown was that they couldnt afford the logistics behind driving round collating all the film & evidence etc...) ;)

Hunar
07-05-11, 07:32 PM
I wouldnt worry about it tbh? A lot of the cameras have been decommissioned, some have been left in place as a visual deterrent, some - like this one - still work but more than likely have no film (the main reason behind them being shutdown was that they couldnt afford the logistics behind driving round collating all the film & evidence etc...) ;)

And the repairs on all the ones that accidently got set on fire, blown up and knocked over!

470four
07-05-11, 08:00 PM
I remember watching a cctv video of two blokes parking up, getting out of a transit van with a petrol disc cutter, chopping the whole camera post & box down - picking it up and trowing it in the back of the van and driving off! ;D

LEGENDS.

smellygerm
07-05-11, 08:00 PM
If I was you I'd worry about this for the next 100th of a second because if you were doing 30 they won't even bother with the paper work ,if they do you have video evidence to show in court so chill man, relax ;)

jpssantos
07-05-11, 08:33 PM
I would, just in case, contact the local police.

explain what happened, etc... at least than they'll have something on record about it.

if you wait for the fine to come in, they are more likely to think you were speeding and kept quite to wait and see..

DaytonaDog
07-05-11, 08:50 PM
Don't worry about it, unless you receive any paperwork within the next 14 days. Anytime after that its invalid no matter what speed you were doing. I suspect that the camera is not being maintained due to the cuts and therefore it is calibrated incorrectly. You have video footage showing that your speedo showed you were doing 30 mph, therefore putting an element of doubt into the accurracy of the camera. As the onus is upon the prosecution to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that you are guilty of the offence I doubt they would pursue the matter to court.

If you are worried about it, I suggest contacting the road safety partnership for the county in which the camera was set off, as opposed to the local police as it is them that maintain the cameras, send the paperwork etc etc and would be better placed to assist.

Hope this helps.

DD

Mitch9128
08-05-11, 07:52 AM
These chaps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7j_RLxf34s seem to have the right idea... [smiley=shocked.gif]

Ducatista
08-05-11, 10:22 AM
Keep you evidence.
Chill.

If anything happens this site is great for advice

http://www.pepipoo.com/

Taylor911
08-05-11, 11:01 AM
These chaps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7j_RLxf34s seem to have the right idea... [smiley=shocked.gif]

Hahaaa, cant believe that!
Brilliant.
Theres one cam is Aylesbury that always seems to have tyres and burn marks all over it.

Thanks for the website Ducatista.

Scotty
08-05-11, 07:13 PM
Isn't that the point of the hash marks at (I presume) one metre intervals on the road surface? It's why the camera flashes twice, takes two images that can be verified against the road markings to substantiate the intended prosecution - at least that's the crack with Gatso cameras, I can't recall whether the newer TruVelo ones use hash marks or not - maybe it's a requirement that there is true photographic evidence to back up the prosecution - IF you receive an NIP, ask for copies of both photos (that should feature the exact time to the nearest second) and a copy of the calibration certificate for the camera...

NoYou
08-05-11, 08:43 PM
We need more people doing things like that too speed cameras, even if its just putting a polystyrene cup over the lens... us brits are to conforming imho! If every speed camera that was put up got vandalized in some way the cost of keeping them active would have been so high they would have discontinued them almost immediately but instead everyone just grumbled and moaned but didn't actually do anything. No names mentioned obv. but a guy i know spent about 3 hours every night for a month going round my area wrapping all the local speed cameras in cling film which stopped them picking up number plates after a month the cling film wasn't taken off! If everyone had gone to their nearest speed camera and done that then how long would the scheme have lasted?! even if someone had just used a permanent marker to colour in the lens! (not that i've had ANY experience with stopping speed cameras working ofc :D )
I don't approve of vandalism but when that amount of public money is spent when the governments own figures prove that they have no effect at all... well i change my view a bit! IF they were proved to save lives, and on some very specific roads and situations they were then fine have a speed camera but don't have one every 200 yards its just ridiculous.
Geo

Taylor911
08-05-11, 09:58 PM
Only problem with destroying Cams is they'll probably think of a other sneaky way to catch people for speeding >:(

NoYou
08-05-11, 10:27 PM
Only problem with destroying Cams is they'll probably think of a other sneaky way to catch people for speeding >:(
This is true but they have to come up with that way first and even when they do, with the system this country uses for everything it'll take them 50 years to give the new system the go ahead xD

Scotty
08-05-11, 11:12 PM
If speed cameras were seen as a true safety device, there would be one outside every school in the country.... but as their primary function is that of revenue generation under the thin veil of "safety" they won't be, instead they are located at sites that maximise revenue with no bearing on safety whatsoever...

Jon_W
09-05-11, 08:14 AM
Keep the evedence.

Don't worry, the vast majority of time the cameras are armed but not loaded with a film. You'll know after two weeks.

If you do get it ask to see the pics.

Kevinb
09-05-11, 08:37 AM
I get fed up with cars flashing me. You think they are warning you of speed traps, but then there is nothing.
I think they just hate bikes and think we all race around above the speed limit.
These 'do gooders' we do not need. They are dangerous and could cause an accident. >:(

Col
09-05-11, 09:56 AM
On this subject the 'bring back cameras' lot always drag out a bereaved parent along the lines of--

'Little Johnny ,7, was killed by a speeding motorist in 200? and we need them to help stop it happening again, bleat,bleat.'

My point is nobody points out that cameras were around when Johnny met his maker or ask wtf he was doing in a road at 7.30 p.m. alone and ask whether the 'parent' should face charges of neglect.

Bit emotive I know but just a different viewpoint.

Too many limits in place and is 35 in a 30 really of any bother as if traffic is heavy you're going to have difficulty speeding [ :o relative to random limits unilaterally imposed] anyway or anywhere ::)

Scotty
09-05-11, 05:26 PM
I get fed up with cars flashing me. You think they are warning you of speed traps, but then there is nothing.
I think they just hate bikes and think we all race around above the speed limit....
Yeah, they also get a bit precious if you've crossed the white line to their side of the road within about a mile of them... ::) So what if I'm making progress, you old fart in your Mercedes, what has it got to do with you anyway?

On the subject (in a roundabout way) of "do-gooders", something that really annoys me (and anyone else with whom I've discussed it) is car drivers touching their brakes when I'm in the process of overtaking them... why they feel that any bike bigger than a 125 actually needs them to assist in an overtake is beyond me >:( >:( >:( If I'm approaching them at a somewhat progressive velocity it should be pretty obvious to even the most retarded car driver that I won't require any help from them in getting past, in fact their "assistance" if I'm still on "our" side of the road is positively dangerous as I've already mentally mapped their position and speed and know where I expect them to be by the time I actually pass, but them hitting the brakes throws that equation straight out of the window and there's now a dangerous variable in the place of something that was previously fairly predictable. Maybe the next time one tries to help I'll have a quiet word at the roadside and politely point out that their well-intended actions are actually rather dangerous... ::) ::) ::)

NoYou
09-05-11, 06:02 PM
On this subject the 'bring back cameras' lot always drag out a bereaved parent along the lines of--

'Little Johnny ,7, was killed by a speeding motorist in 200? and we need them to help stop it happening again, bleat,bleat.'

My point is nobody points out that cameras were around when Johnny met his maker or ask wtf he was doing in a road at 7.30 p.m. alone and ask whether the 'parent' should face charges of neglect.

Bit emotive I know but just a different viewpoint.

Too many limits in place and is 35 in a 30 really of any bother as if traffic is heavy you're going to have difficulty speeding [ :o relative to random limits unilaterally imposed] anyway or anywhere ::)
Completely agree with you here yes its sad that kids get killed by cars but i don't think thats speed or even drivers faults, if a child doesn't know how to cross a road properly and safely then they shouldn't be out on the road without an adult to stop them running out in front of cars, if they have an adult with them and they run out anyway then if the child survives then they should be taken into care and said adult should be castrated (or the female equivalent) so they can't breed and pass on the stupid gene! I'm all for a varied and mixed society but the less stupid there is in the world the better!
Geo

Kevinb
10-05-11, 01:21 PM
I think they just hate bikes and think we all race around above the speed limit....
Yeah, they also get a bit precious if you've crossed the white line to their side of the road within about a mile of them... ::) So what if I'm making progress, you old fart in your Mercedes, what has it got to do with you anyway?

On the subject (in a roundabout way) of "do-gooders", something that really annoys me (and anyone else with whom I've discussed it) is car drivers touching their brakes when I'm in the process of overtaking them... why they feel that any bike bigger than a 125 actually needs them to assist in an overtake is beyond me >:( >:( >:( If I'm approaching them at a somewhat progressive velocity it should be pretty obvious to even the most retarded car driver that I won't require any help from them in getting past, in fact their "assistance" if I'm still on "our" side of the road is positively dangerous as I've already mentally mapped their position and speed and know where I expect them to be by the time I actually pass, but them hitting the brakes throws that equation straight out of the window and there's now a dangerous variable in the place of something that was previously fairly predictable. Maybe the next time one tries to help I'll have a quiet word at the roadside and politely point out that their well-intended actions are actually rather dangerous... ::) ::) ::)

Again I hate it when you come up behind someone and they indicate left for you to pass. USUALLY ON A BLIND BEND!!!

si-moffatt
11-05-11, 10:04 PM
Or they drive all the way left into the verge and throw a whole load of crap at you. I like them giving us room, but they do need to think if they can safely give us room.

Ducatista
11-05-11, 10:21 PM
[if a child doesn't know how to cross a road properly and safely then they shouldn't be out on the road without an adult to stop them running out in front of cars

This is not the legal view I'm afraid.
If you want to drive/ride then you have to have duty of care.

However I do agree with you.
There is no duty of care placed on pedestrians and thee days everyone knows their rights but doens't recognise their reposnsibilities.

Morticia
12-05-11, 09:21 AM
I was flashed by a faulty cam last year, never got a ticket.

Col
12-05-11, 10:36 AM
Saw a news item way back about a woman naked apart from her coat flashing on side of road ......... sadly not a victim :(