PDA

View Full Version : !!!Soft tarmac!!!

si-moffatt
29-04-11, 08:44 AM
Went to see a friend in coventry last night and left the bike outside his house. About an hour after I arrived at his his nextdoor neighbour knocked saying "I think some kids have been playing with your bikes mate". We rushed outside to see my RSV laying on its side in the street. F**KING DEVASTATED. Once I had composed myself enough to be able to pick her up, my friend and I noticed that the sidestand was still down and wedged firmly into the tarmac that had givenway to it allowing the bike to fall.

I know the warm weather is good but please learn from my mistake. make sure, even on the road, that your sidestand goes down on SOLID ground :'(

Beamer
29-04-11, 08:58 AM
Went to see a friend in coventry last night and left the bike outside his house. About an hour after I arrived at his his nextdoor neighbour knocked saying "I think some kids have been playing with your bikes mate". We rushed outside to see my RSV laying on its side in the street. F**KING DEVASTATED. Once I had composed myself enough to be able to pick her up, my friend and I noticed that the sidestand was still down and wedged firmly into the tarmac that had givenway to it allowing the bike to fall.

I know the warm weather is good but please learn from my mistake. make sure, even on the road, that your sidestand goes down on SOLID ground :'(

How crap.......that must have been a horrible moment to see it lying there.....poor you....hope it didnt suffer too much damage.
:-/ :-/ :-/

HensonA
29-04-11, 09:07 AM
.....or always carry one of those hard plastic side stand discs with you !! :)

smellygerm
29-04-11, 09:12 AM
Gutted mate ,is there much damage ?
You'll have to bring out the hammer

si-moffatt
29-04-11, 09:15 AM
beamer ive been quite lucky its all cosmetic apart from a broken clutch lever, that I then had to ride back from coventry with >:(

ade i do use them or a crushed can on grass just never saw it coming on tarmac

Beamer
29-04-11, 09:17 AM
Ahhh clutch levers....Ive worked through 2 of those hehe....ok I know my bikes a slightly less expensive model but i got mine from ebay hehe....keep smiling ....it could have been worse (i think) :) :) :)

si-moffatt
29-04-11, 09:20 AM
to be honest mate the lever issue works for me. I wanted to put some tarty little levers on but the better half wanted a holiday. now I have to spend on a lever I might aswell get the ones I want lol

Hazel-nut
29-04-11, 11:42 AM
Sorry to hear that! I think someone else was talking about soft Tarmac the other week but can't remember who :P hope it's not too expensive to fix

Taylor86
29-04-11, 12:03 PM
My Dad mentioned that the bike bay in Marlborough High Street had a big sunken bit where it had gotten warm and a bike stand had obviously caused it. Not worrying at all! :-?

njl
29-04-11, 02:54 PM
Si, Aprilia's euro spec sidestands are pretty rubbish, if you have an original one on the bike you may well benefit from getting a modified one or some GSXR or Firestorm ones will fit, sometimes need a few alterations.

On another note I've recently fitted some chinese pazzo copy levers and seem really nice!

simongpz
29-04-11, 11:25 PM
a mate of mine had problems with his rsv falling over all the time and brakeing levers
and i had to fix the gpz about a month ago due to the same thing fell off its stand hit sues bike on the way down broke my screen and her chain guard and a bit of paint damage
its not nice when you see your bike on the ground after a fall

ChrisJo
30-04-11, 11:00 AM
How Crap Si....

Nokesy
30-04-11, 11:15 AM
Sorry to hear that :(

Bonnielass
30-04-11, 01:31 PM
The bike parking area in Devizes is pretty soft, I saw a bike with it's side stand sinking, luckily the owner returned soon after I noticed it!

Nooj
01-05-11, 07:31 PM
What Nick said, get rid of your **** Aprilia stand. Soft tarmac will have any bike over if it sinks deep enough, but Aprilia's EU stands are a joke and would certainly have contributed to this. Even a slow puncture while parked up can have your bike over on it's right side.

The Missus has the US spec Aprilia job on her Tuono and it's just so much better, thicker and half as long again with a decent kick-out angle. I have a modded GSXR stand on my Falco, again leagues ahead of the original. For an easy fix that's a little better, Firestorm stands bolt straight on, certain year 'Blade ones do as well.

Looks like a really nice bike as well :(

Carbonkid
02-05-11, 12:04 PM
Oh no Si. What a nightmare... :(

njl
02-05-11, 04:50 PM
If you go for the change over I have a mint condition GSXR stand around the garage which will need modding to suit, A honda one came up before I got to fitting it.

Feel free to take it off my hands if you want it

si-moffatt
06-05-11, 11:38 AM
Nick when you say modding how much do you reckon mate.

Thanks for all the advice people. I have been told about it before but didn't think much of it. Now I'm scared to get of the damn thing lol

njl
06-05-11, 12:17 PM
I think it needs a nut welding on one side of the bracket and a hole drilling to fit the sidestand switch if you use it. When I'm off the phone and at a pc I'll post up a link to the af1 site with instructions

Nooj
06-05-11, 04:27 PM
If you want it, I'm happy to do the modding for a few beer tokens, I've done it to my own one so know what's involved. Only drilling and tapping, but I'm familiar with the job already if you're not sure about doing it.

si-moffatt
07-05-11, 09:00 PM
It's would likely be something I could do but you know exactly how and if your willing that would be cool. I'm petrified that it's going to go over again

njl
07-05-11, 09:32 PM
Nooj are you over this way soon? if not I'll see if I can get it dropped over to you - I've heard some good things about the Wantage road from down your way, will try to have a little run up.

Nooj
09-05-11, 06:55 PM
Not near Swindon for the immediate future. The B4494? A most excellent bike road.

Go out of Swindon through Upper Wanborough and Baydon to the B4000, then head North on the A338 to Wantage, turn right at the traffic lights, then right again just before the fire station onto the B4494 which will bring you out at the A4 in Newbury opposite Waitrose :D

Nooj
10-05-11, 11:14 AM
Forgot to say, I'll need the Aprilia bracket as well, as it needs to be drilled out to take the Suzuki pivot bolt.

Mitch9128
10-05-11, 11:19 AM
The price of a holiday?!?!? I've just put some of these on mine http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290450536797 the dogs danglies for under £30!

Nooj
10-05-11, 06:24 PM
Mmmm, were they very expensive levers, or was it a very cheap holiday ;D

njl
10-05-11, 07:34 PM
Here's a link to a discussion thread on sidestand swaps, I can't truly recall what year the suzi one I have is from

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71492&highlight=suzuki+stand&page =2

si-moffatt
11-05-11, 07:55 PM
I might have to hold of on this mod for now then. I need the bike on the road at the moment. I'll give you a shout once I've got one of the others back if that's ok?

Jacde
11-05-11, 08:40 PM
Nooj are you over this way soon? if not I'll see if I can get it dropped over to you - I've heard some good things about the Wantage road from down your way, will try to have a little run up.

Nick if you need something dropping off to Nooj in Newbury I'm going to be doing a night shift on Saturday so could take it for you if you like?

Morticia
12-05-11, 09:24 AM
Sorry dude! Mine was dropped by skanky thieves recently, I know how you feel!

Nooj
13-05-11, 07:07 PM
Will have a look in our Aprilia spares draw and see if I can put something together to tide you over.