PDA

View Full Version : Le Mans Trip Advice

somersetzed
10-05-11, 07:22 AM
I’m off to Le Mans for the Moto GP just wondered if anyone has been before, any tips or advice, I’ve heard the campsite can be a bit wild, wont be getting there till Saturday morning will the campsite be full by then?

Scotty
10-05-11, 07:36 AM
If the 24-hour weekend is anything to go by, it'll be getting pretty full, though as the main event is just on Sunday a lot of the French will only turn up for the day, there'll be a higher proportion of other nationalities who make a bigger trip of it on the campsite to begin with. Not having been to the GP there I can't really comment, so I'll shut up... :-/

Have a top trip, watch out for the Gendarmerie out in force with speed traps, don't ride drunk (another thing from the 24hr years ago) and enjoy waving to all the people lining the streets of the villages on the N-roads going North from the town afterwards (though now they've built a cabbageway all the way to the town from the North (le Havre, Rouen direction), the journey will be quicker but less charming and you may not go through the villages)... Bonne route!

Chappers
10-05-11, 01:07 PM
Hope it stays dry for you - I accidentally took a wrong turn a couple of years ago and rode through one of the campsites by the track - it looked like one of the "morning after the battle the night before" scenes from an Oliver Stone 'Nam movie! :o :o

Tyre permitting ... I'll be there again this weekend - send me a PM if you want to meet up trackside [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

wiltshire builders
10-05-11, 01:14 PM
Ear plugs, ear plugs, ear plugs! That's if you plan on getting any sleep. Also take a good chain. Thefts are quite prevalent as it attracts alot of scum bags.

Roxy
10-05-11, 01:24 PM
Last year was scorching and the campsite was rammed with hungover/still drunk bikers either weeing/puking up against the fences! ;D ;D Boy you're in for a treat! :D no worries about bringing your tent home, the trend seems to be to just torch it!

That's why we stay away from the circuit ;)

The police were sat waiting for all the bikes to come off the ferries and again on ALL the routes down to the circuit. Make sure you take your documents because they are pretty hot at checking all these.

Saying that, it's a fantastic weekend...see you there! 8-)

I will be the crazy chick screaming Go Rossi Go in the Team 46 camp!!

Roxy [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

Scotty
10-05-11, 05:08 PM
Anything not chained or nailed down on the campsite will be pinched - a Brit had an Arai nicked from inside his tent before Thursday evening one year, heaps more goes on. The locals and/or pikeys sweep the site for anything they can carry and one year at the 24hr race, one of our guys "refilled" a bottle of wine (if you catch my drift), stuck the cork back in and left it beside his tent when we went in to watch the end of the race on the Sunday afternoon. By the time we returned and broke camp, it had been lifted - serves them right, hope they enjoyed it ;D ;D ;D

Roxy
10-05-11, 07:38 PM
Welcome to come stand by us...but only if you're a Rossi fan! ;D

somersetzed
10-05-11, 08:20 PM
Well it sounds pretty much what i had heard about it
i take it there's no security on the campsites then or are they doing the thieving as well

YMFB
13-05-11, 11:50 PM
we had an awesome time last year, it was vv hot. We stayed in a hotel about an hour away. What I would say is that if you are on the fast ferry back to Portsmouth on Sunday evening, fill up before you go to the circuit, dont hang around after the race. Last year we wasted a bunch of time getting filled up and they slammed the door behind us and we were on vapours.

I wish I was there now

Roxy
17-05-11, 07:07 PM
Sorry I didn't get your message until I got back mate.

Did you survive? lol

We drove through 2 of the campsites each day to get to our 'special parking' and I had to disinfect completely each time I exited for fear of catching some nasty germs and bugs!!! It looked ok on Friday but by Sunday it was just fecking scary looking....yuck!!! LMFAO you brave man....Hotel all the way for us!

Roxy :)