PDA

View Full Version : Removing bike stickers

RachaelEllen
21-05-11, 07:23 PM
Well the bike is finally in the land of the north and after some drama with the security chain not being long enough to fit around the lamppost, and a last minute dash to halfords for a new one, it is all secured and safe for the night. As buying the bike was a bit fiddly and dad had to sort out everything including actually picking the bike up (thanks dad:D ) we didn't realise that the salesman had made a few changes between the agreed sale date and the pickup date.

So i now have two raised (bubble-like) stickers advertising the shop on the bike that i don't want there. There is one on the tail which i'm not too fussed about but i really don't like the one on the front wheel cover.

Now i'm going to ring the guy in the shop up and see if he has a way of removing them as he must remove other shop stickers that come in on the bikes he buys - but if he doesn't i was wondering if anybody else knew how to remove them?

I would normally use something like nail varnish remover to dissolve the glue, but as this is my new pride and joy i'm obviously a bit nervous about doing this. The stickers are raised which makes it extra difficult to lift them away from the surface, brilliant.

So any tips/advice would be very much appreciated :)

Green Man
21-05-11, 07:32 PM
Rachael use a hair drier and a razor blade to lift one corner but don’t get it to hot just Luke warm … [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hunar
21-05-11, 07:48 PM
I was watching a video earlier about removing stickers from a bike!

Heat with hairdryer and peel off SLOWLY, remove any left over sticky by taking a bit of duct tape and dabbing the sticky side of the tape on the bit of glue. A tiny bit of white spirit to remove any remaining bits, and polish.

Mitch9128
21-05-11, 08:59 PM
Acetone will melt any glue without damage, that's nail polish remover btw.

Jacde
21-05-11, 09:03 PM
I use furniture polish to remove sticky labels, not sure if it would work on this type of sticker tho :)

Loops
21-05-11, 09:04 PM
Tooth floss can be a good alternative to a razor blade of the stickers are thick and there's an edge to get it under - less chance of scratching the paint than using a razor if you suffer from fumble fingers..!

I used it to help get the badges off my car bootlid.

bobf279
21-05-11, 10:34 PM
What Hunar said ;)

Geordie Stu
23-05-11, 02:21 PM
Use a Hair dryer soften the adhesive they'll will peel away quite easy.

I had to borrow a hair dyer... ;D ;D

RachaelEllen
23-05-11, 07:01 PM
Ooh I shall try all these...not at the same time though! I love the fountain of knowledge that this site provides :D

Nokesy
23-05-11, 07:06 PM
I had to borrow a hair dyer... ;D ;D

Obviously!! ;D