PDA

View Full Version : to buy or not to buy that is my question?

Mikkie1986
23-05-11, 11:22 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-KAWASAKI-ZX-1000-ZX10R-C2H-WHITE-LOW-MILES-MINT-/110690910410?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item19c5b140ca

Iv wanted to upgrade and keep the R6 for a while. What are peoples thoughts on ZX10's?

It looks awesome and it HPI clear...

So tempted! :D

Mitch9128
23-05-11, 11:33 AM
I'd wonder how many of those 6k miles are track, possibly a lot more than on the speedo, hence the new paint job.

Mikkie1986
23-05-11, 11:40 AM
That was my line of thought.... or its just a nice one?..

thats the risk! looks good tho....

Mitch9128
23-05-11, 11:45 AM
Sure does, but i'd look for a completely straight one, and of course green.

wiltshire builders
23-05-11, 12:43 PM
My first thought would be that it's been crashed. Why doesn't it come with the original bits and who the hell resprays a perfectly good bike white? There are plenty of good ones out there.

As for C1 and C2 zx10s. They are the greatest superbike ever made. Not the fastest or the best handling, but the experience will blow you away. The sad thing is that they will never be able to build another bike like it because of the new emissions laws. I was about to put a deposit down on a brand new Fireblade when a friend convinced me to take out a 10. It knocked the Blade into a cocked hat.

Take one for a test ride and if it doesn't make you feel the way you did when you first rode a bike, you have no soul.

Mikkie1986
23-05-11, 01:19 PM
Thats the plan i think. Gunna take one out for a burn!

Scotty
23-05-11, 01:54 PM
Be careful if you park it on a slope, leave it in gear! :'( I agree with Wiltshire Builders - it may not be the most sophisticated bike out there, but I enjoy mine so much I've kept it since I bought it seven years ago. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Aside from the paint job (OK, it'd match your leathers), I've done pretty much all the functional changes listed to mine as well (Akrapovic, rearsets, double bubble screen, steering damper), haven't bothered with any bling (it has indicators and a hugger as standard - changing them doesn't improve the performance or ride one bit so why bother?) - the one thing that hasn't been done is change the rear shock - it still has the standard unit which was the only achilles heel on the original bike really (apart from the missing steering damper) - I fitted an Öhlins rear shock on mine and it made the bike handle and ride like it really should have done in the first place. The mileage is low for a six year-old bike - has it spent a lot of time on a racetrack? The wheels have been resprayed too so the scars from a lot of tyre lever action may have been erased. If you go and have a look, check that the sump drain plug and oil filler cap haven't been drilled for lockwire (the bellypan is only retained by six bolts, a minute with a 4mm hex key and you can remove it)

Green is best though.... ;)

Squashed_Fly
23-05-11, 02:29 PM
I heard that anyone who rides a ZX10 is a poof.... Is that not the case? ;D ;D ;D

*Runs away to avoid the punches!!!*

Nah, in all seriousness - it looks a lush bike. I love that paintjob personally, but as the above said, might indicate previous crash damage...

I was thinking about one as my first litre bike in a few years time, when I've got some more experience. All the reports I've read have indicated it's a great piece of engineering...

Mikkie1986
23-05-11, 02:37 PM
Cheers Scotty. i think im going to go up and take a peak one evening this week.

I was going to check for the lock wire in the first instance but after talking to him he says he has dated pictures before and after the spray job.. he reckons that assures me it straight and hasnt been a track whore.... However i dont believe anything ... will keep you updated on it.

It would match the leathers tho...

followed you back up until A34 Abingdon, then had a right blast down the A420.... Good times.

Hope the leg gets better.

Mikkie

Mark_Able
23-05-11, 08:19 PM
Yep, rear shock is pants. Needs Ohlins... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

wiltshire builders
23-05-11, 10:47 PM
Yep, rear shock is pants. Needs Ohlins... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
But it's that feeling of "am I going to get thrown own of the seat any minute" that makes it so exciting.
You don't need an ohlins shock. Just a decent one will be more than good enough for the road.

Kevinb
24-05-11, 08:53 AM
I'd wonder how many of those 6k miles are track, possibly a lot more than on the speedo, hence the new paint job.

Might not be track use, might be Santa Pod :o ;D