PDA

View Full Version : New Number plate

NoYou
23-05-11, 08:17 PM
I want to get a new number plate with a 'lil slogan on it and maybe a tad smaller... just wondering if anyone would recommend a place to get one done and what a "safe" size is if i do get a smaller than standard
Geo

Beamer
23-05-11, 08:20 PM
Seriously not worth paying for a 'smaller' plate......if you get caught with it on the bike you risk a fine and possibly points too....never worth it.... :) :)

Mark_Able
23-05-11, 08:27 PM
I want to get a new number plate with a 'lil slogan on it and maybe a tad smaller... just wondering if anyone would recommend a place to get one done and what a "safe" size is if i do get a smaller than standard
Geo

Take my advice George, if you get pulled for the number plate (which is highly likely), they'll nick you for anything else they can find. Do whatever else you want, i.e. dark visor, noisey exhaust, etc, but don't change the plate. The law is generally not interested in dark visors or loud pipes, until they've pulled you for the plate... :-/

Mitch9128
23-05-11, 08:32 PM
Or, Google 'show plates', on yer head be it :D

YMFB
23-05-11, 09:48 PM
On the counter in Hayballs today was an example of the smallest legal number plate, as you live in Salisbury why not pop in and check it out.

NoYou
23-05-11, 09:52 PM
On the counter in Hayballs today was an example of the smallest legal number plate, as you live in Salisbury why not pop in and check it out.
ahh nice one was going to head up there anyways need to get a few things might pop up tomorrow :]
Also people have jumped to the conclusion that I wanted an illegal plate xD I probably should have worded the origional post better.
Number plate legality is based on lettering size/spacing not actual plate size, I believe you can get down to about 7"*6" and still have a legal plate however you are likely to be pulled just so they can check! I was asking what size is safe in terms of being unlikely to be pulled so they can check,
I'm not fussed about having a tiny plate but the standard size sail on atm just looks ghastly and has some damage on it, hence wanting to replace it :) as I want a new plate anyway I thought I may as well shrink it a bit while I'm at it.
Geo

njl
23-05-11, 10:19 PM
ahh nice one was going to head up there anyways need to get a few things might pop up tomorrow :]
Also people have jumped to the conclusion that I wanted an illegal plate xD I probably should have worded the origional post better.
Number plate legality is based on lettering size/spacing not actual plate size, I believe you can get down to about 7"*6" and still have a legal plate however you are likely to be pulled just so they can check! I was asking what size is safe in terms of being unlikely to be pulled so they can check,
I'm not fussed about having a tiny plate but the standard size sail on atm just looks ghastly and has some damage on it, hence wanting to replace it :) as I want a new plate anyway I thought I may as well shrink it a bit while I'm at it.
Geo

If you go over could you let us know what the overall size is on that, I'm using an 8x5 as std hangs over the indys with the hugger, but I'd go bigger to save the agro

NoYou
23-05-11, 10:31 PM
Geo

If you go over could you let us know what the overall size is on that, I'm using an 8x5 as std hangs over the indys with the hugger, but I'd go bigger to save the agro

Yea sure, I'm doing some temp work just down the road so I will probably go in on my lunch break :)

Beamer
24-05-11, 06:40 AM
Geo

Yea sure, I'm doing some temp work just down the road so I will probably go in on my lunch break :)

LOL....rumour has it that there is a certain person that carries a little ruler in his car especially for those 'is it legal, is it not' moments and has been known to use it....and as Mark said earlier if that doesnt get you 'they' will find something that does.... some people enjoy the power and really do enforce it..hehe....good luck :) :) :)

silly_simon
24-05-11, 05:33 PM
Also just to add that a number plate must have the makers name, address,postcode and a BS AU marking to make it fully legal :(

jj
24-05-11, 08:33 PM
have a 6 + 4 plate on mine and never had any trouble looks much better than the standard one

NoYou
24-05-11, 10:25 PM
have a 6 + 4 plate on mine and never had any trouble looks much better than the standard one
:O 6"*4"?!?!?! how in the hell have you not been pulled for that? Its TINY!
Also didn't get a chance to go up to Haybals might get up tomorrow

Gerry
24-05-11, 10:33 PM
I have always got my car & bike plates from www.craigsplates.co.uk in / near Bristol I think (I mailorder them).
They have a good site and you can get the smallest legal (or non legal "showplate" if you wish) from them.

The size obviously depends on how many digits you have in your number.

Go to the plate-maker and it gives you the legal sizes & choices.
Mines a 6 character legal plate a 7" x 6.5"

G [smiley=thumbup.gif]