PDA

View Full Version : knee down at last!

Squashed_Fly
25-05-11, 04:15 PM
I don't care if anyone says its not important, the feeling when I finally did it was incredible!

Mitch9128
25-05-11, 04:22 PM
I once got my knee down...closely followed by my thigh/elbow/shoulder and head...ouch.

Congratulations :D

Nooj
25-05-11, 04:31 PM
Never done it. But then I've never tried. One of my mates tried to teach someone to get their knee down, he fell off and broke his collar bone, oh how we laughed!

Sean.C
25-05-11, 06:18 PM
Well done , feels good don't it [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

wiltshire builders
25-05-11, 06:34 PM
Bet your first reaction was to pull it back up again!

Mark_Able
25-05-11, 08:58 PM
Had an instructor who was a bit of a nob, and was always bragging about getting his knee down (strange, seeing as he didn't have any knee-sliders). Then one day he turned up at work with a brand spanking new pair of yellow knee-sliders. At lunchtime, he disappeared off for about 20 minutes. Came back, finished off the day with the pupils, then asked me how I got my knee down. I explained, but that wasn't good enough. We had to go to the closest roundabout for a demonstration. After following him round for a few circuits, it became clear that:-
a. He wasn't hanging off enough,
b. He was in too low a gear, so the engine was too revvy.

He asked to follow me round whilst I demonstrated. After about the third circuit of said roundabout, I came across him lying in the road with a ZX6R lying on top of him, shouting for me to lift the bike off of him. I never heard anymore knee-down stories after that... ;D

redken1
25-05-11, 08:59 PM
Had a few "Knees down in my time, but I prefer a good "Knees up"
;D

Squashed_Fly
25-05-11, 09:47 PM
I came across him lying in the road with a ZX6R lying on top of him, shouting for me to lift the bike off of him. I never heard anymore knee-down stories after that... ;D

Thankfully that didn't happen to me! But then the instruction about hanging off correctly at Ron Haslam helped no end as I could feel the bike was more upright when I was off the bike properly.

Other good thing it's taught me is that even when I'm in the corner, I can always countersteer again for more lean. Got so used to countersteering to get into the bend, but there's been a few moments still when I wasn't sure if I'd get round! While learning to get my knee down, I had to do it again to get the lean angle that tiny bit extra.

First time down was a bit of a shock, but then as the confidence grew, I could plant it a bt more firmly down. Just got to wait for more sunny days now!

It's not big, it's not clever. But it was bloody good fun with a whopper of a grin factor!

Scaredy_Cat
25-05-11, 10:41 PM
Mission accomplished ;D

What's next on the 'things to do before I die' list? :)

Ryan
25-05-11, 10:43 PM
Nice one ;)

CharleyX
25-05-11, 11:49 PM
:o :o Never!

Jon_W
26-05-11, 08:26 AM
I've got me knee and elbow down...... :D

Followed by the rest of my body!!! :(

Bornagain
26-05-11, 09:29 AM
That sweet scraping sound and grindy vibration through the knee is addictive, good on ya SF.
I had a little tinkle after Rons' but my leathers (that i spent money on shortening!!) are now too restrictive!! Go figure :(

Squashed_Fly
26-05-11, 09:45 AM
Basil - if you're coming over to George Whites leathers shopping, give me a shout and pop in for a cuppa if you want. Meant to say that last night when we were chatting.

I can't recommend those BKS leathers enough! For a person of smaller stature, they fit well, move well and were broken in after not long at all. And believe me, I tried on a LOT of sets before settling on these...

Bornagain
26-05-11, 10:36 AM
Ha, i know what you mean, i've tried on more than i can remember.
Aparently Spidi, BKS and Arlen Ness have got a slighlty shorter cut.
I'm not gonna be able to get up there til the tail end of next week though....it's half term and little legs Jr is here ;) ;)

Squashed_Fly
26-05-11, 11:34 AM
Not tried the Spidi, but I did still find the sliders on the arlen ness's a bit far down my shins!

Scotty
26-05-11, 03:43 PM
Any witnesses? :-? Nah, it's uncorroborated, doesn't count mate ;D ;D ;D

Squashed_Fly
26-05-11, 04:32 PM
There is a witness! lol

I made Mikkie follow me round to prove I didn't just get the angle grinder out! ;D

He did threaten to tell everyone he hadn't seen a thing though... 8-)

DaytonaDog
26-05-11, 06:18 PM
I got my knee down once!! Sadly the evil witch said no and now I'm a bitter, shallow, cynical commitmentphobe.....well so i've been told on a few occasions. Lol