PDA

View Full Version : Refused Insurance...? No Pillion

Geordie Stu
27-05-11, 11:03 AM
I don't normally believe all I read in MCN. Has this ever happened to anyone else.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/INSURANCE/insuranceresults/2011/May/may2511-no-pillions-say-leading-motorcycle-insurer/

Nelly
27-05-11, 11:07 AM
Never heard that one before. :o
(mrs H wont be pleased!)

Jon_W
27-05-11, 11:14 AM
I've always told Carole Nash that I've wanted to carry pillion, never had a problem.

Interesting though.

wiltshire builders
27-05-11, 01:51 PM
Insurance is going through a weird phase at the moment. My friend was refused insurance for no alarm then found it cheaper somewhere else anyway. They also wanted to know all the bikes he'd had before to make sure it wasn't too much for him. I've known him 8 years and he's had 16 in that time!

My van premiums have gone up but my bike down.

It's all probably to do with the litigious nature of a lot of people these days. We all suffer because of a few unscrupulous toe rags.

stretchie_
27-05-11, 02:01 PM
That's quite a gamble, I'm sure there will be alot people (if they reflect this lower risk in their premium prices)that will not care as they don't take pillions.

However, I'm sure these certain companies will lose alot of business also as there will be many people out there that wouldn't think about NOT having pillion cover, and you can bet that there will be a few stupid model choices that include a few bikes used as tourers or two's up bikes.

One of the reasons I got my FireBlade 929 was that the missus thought it was the most comfortable bike she'd be on the back of, Thundercats and Older (proper shaped) ninja's with the long single seats are good for touring.

Snowy
27-05-11, 02:32 PM
I have pillions covered under an Aviva policy so I guess an R1200GS Adventure is not an off-road bike ;D ;D

Ducatista
27-05-11, 02:46 PM
Insurers are definitely cherry picking.
If they don't want your business they sometimes use the tactic of giving a high quote.

bobf279
27-05-11, 08:18 PM
I've always had pillion cover included

BB
28-05-11, 12:17 PM
I haven't had pillion insurance for years, it used to be an option and as as I never take pillions I saw no point insuring for one.

Ghost has pillion cover no problem.

BB

Loops
01-06-11, 06:54 PM
I have both pillion and towing included on the CG! Not like I'll use it, but it didn't cost me any extra...

Insurance is getting either more expensive or more restrictive these days......