PDA

View Full Version : Wiltshire Police Drink Driving Campaign

Dilldog
01-06-11, 12:59 PM
WILTSHIRE Police are warning people not to be tempted to drink and drive during the summer months.

The force launched its summer drink drive campaign today and said police officers will be conducting high profile roadside checks.

Chief Inspector Ian Copus, head of roads policing for Wiltshire Police, said: “We are putting a great deal of time and effort into this year’s campaign with the intention of showing the public that drink and drug driving is completely anti social and a grave danger to other road users.

“The message from us is perfectly clear. If you take a chance on drink driving you will be caught. Research shows that more enforcement results in a decrease in the number of people caught driving while under the influence of drink and drugs.”

Nokesy
01-06-11, 01:26 PM
Anyone who drinks/takes drugs and drives/rides is a muppet anyway in my opinion!! Regardless of the law! There was a young lad on Locked Up last night who did just that and although luckily no-one got hurt, he got a 16 month ban and jeopardised his hopes of becoming a teacher - he soon realised how stupid he had been!

Kevinb
01-06-11, 02:08 PM
I have had a limit of two pints of low gravity beer (ipa) and then coke if I'm driving. If I am riding I have one ipa maximum but usually just stick to coke. I have stuck to this for twenty years plus and people know not to even try and buy me a third.

Nokesy
01-06-11, 02:38 PM
Just curious Kevin - why the different limits between driving and riding?

StreetHippo
01-06-11, 02:50 PM
That's why I like the H&C policy on brews, buy a mug and refill for free, big thumbs up though it must hurt their profit. ;)
Don't like riding after a beer.

Stu

wiltshire builders
01-06-11, 03:00 PM
That's why I like the H&C policy on brews, buy a mug and refill for free, big thumbs up though it must hurt their profit. ;)

Stu
Yeah it really p*sses me off when pubs charge you nearly the same for a pint as for a soft drink. A pint of coke costs 11p yet most charge over £2.
The worst I came across is the Bell in Lacock. £2.50 for a lime and soda. >:(

njl
01-06-11, 03:21 PM
Oh, 11p is a bit out of date, 35p to 40 is about current rate. :-)

Stu
Yeah it really p*sses me off when pubs charge you nearly the same for a pint as for a soft drink. A pint of coke costs 11p yet most charge over £2.
The worst I came across is the Bell in Lacock. £2.50 for a lime and soda. >:(

redken1
01-06-11, 05:23 PM
I always like to play safe - never even take a half pint if I'm riding or driving. Nothing in life gives me as much pleasure as when I'm on two wheels. Losing my licence would be too painful.

DaytonaDog
01-06-11, 10:15 PM
There are no excuses - plain and simple.

Scotty
02-06-11, 01:08 PM
I'll have a pint if I'm driving (no more than that) but only soft drinks on the bike - the margin of safety on a bike is lower and it's daft to tempt fate. Everyone's judgement is impaired to an extent by an alcoholic drink. To be honest I wouldn't complain about a total ban on any alcohol for drivers and riders, it works in other countries (Scandinavia springs to mind). There are no excuses for exceeding the limit here anyway, as Chris points out, but by prohibiting it entirely nobody can be caught out by thinking they're just below the limit when they're not.

redken1
02-06-11, 10:30 PM
Chief Inspector Ian Copus, head of roads policing for Wiltshire Police, said: “We are putting a great deal of time and effort into this year’s campaign with the intention of showing the public that drink and drug driving is completely anti social and a grave danger to other road users."

With reference to the Chief Inspector's comments, I have never understood why the police (across the country) appear to provide extra resources in seasonal campaigns targeting drink driving. Surely the police should maintain the same high level of vigilance for 365 days of the year.

NoYou
02-06-11, 10:33 PM
Chief Inspector Ian Copus, head of roads policing for Wiltshire Police, said: “We are putting a great deal of time and effort into this year’s campaign with the intention of showing the public that drink and drug driving is completely anti social and a grave danger to other road users."

With reference to the Chief Inspector's comments, I have never understood why the police (across the country) appear to provide extra resources in seasonal campaigns targeting drink driving. Surely the police should maintain the same high level of vigilance for 365 days of the year.

+1

YMFB
02-06-11, 10:56 PM
whilst I agree that drink/drug driving needs sorting, mobile phone use is an epidemic. I cannot understand why all new vehicles are not automatically fitted with handsfree. I see so many van and truck drivers on the phone even texting, Im sure car drivers are just as bad but van and truck drivers are supposedly professionals.

DaytonaDog
02-06-11, 11:20 PM

+1

+1 also I fail to understand why the police announce these campaigns that usually last only a month. So allowing for a summer campaign and winter campaign, that provides 10 months where you are less likely to be caught.

Kevinb
03-06-11, 08:41 AM

Have to be more careful and have your wits about you on the bike. To many drunk drivers around.
Car wise I have a 4x4 (only one step away from owning a tank)

Kevinb
03-06-11, 08:44 AM
I'll have a pint if I'm driving (no more than that) but only soft drinks on the bike - the margin of safety on a bike is lower and it's daft to tempt fate. Everyone's judgement is impaired to an extent by an alcoholic drink. To be honest I wouldn't complain about a total ban on any alcohol for drivers and riders, it works in other countries (Scandinavia springs to mind). There are no excuses for exceeding the limit here anyway, as Chris points out, but by prohibiting it entirely nobody can be caught out by thinking they're just below the limit when they're not.

It wouldn't worry me if there was either a lower limit or total ban. Pubs do need to provide a better choice of affordable soft drinks. It gets silly when duty is payable on a pint and coke is still more expensive. Bottled soft drinks are even worse.

Kevinb
03-06-11, 08:47 AM
whilst I agree that drink/drug driving needs sorting, mobile phone use is an epidemic. I cannot understand why all new vehicles are not automatically fitted with handsfree. I see so many van and truck drivers on the phone even texting, Im sure car drivers are just as bad but van and truck drivers are supposedly professionals.

I personally would use hands free on a bike. We didn't have it twenty years a go so why do we need it now. I don't have it in my car, if the phone rings it is ignored until I have parked up.
The worst are the pedestrians who walk around with their heads down and don't even look when crossing roads

Dilldog
03-06-11, 09:17 AM
I used to go to the Lysley on Monday nights, £1.99 for a pint orange juice/lemonade.

This year £2.50 !! >:(

Geordie Stu
03-06-11, 03:35 PM
Not just drinking while you are out on the bike or in the car. Morning after is just as dangerous

Hunar
05-06-11, 02:55 AM
If i fail a breath test i will be very suprised!

Col
05-06-11, 11:00 AM
Plod letting us know they are actually doing somat to warrant their huge cost as pretty quiet here....yawn!!!

Is the pub open yet :)... contributing some extra tax for 'em...happy to help :D

They organised any tiger recognition courses yet ;D ;D
Talk about essential service you couldn't make it up.........jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/22/white-tiger-toy-alert-police-southampton