PDA

View Full Version : Ride of Respect 2012 - Volunteers needed

Dabz
31-05-11, 07:55 PM
Ok guys we've been asked to organise next year's Ride of Respect for Wiltshire. As of next year it will be split into many smaller rides (maximum of 500 bikes each) around the country, and the Wilts one has been offered to WB.

I personally don't have time to organise this, but am posting this to see if a few others wants to form an organisation 'committee'. You will be committing yourself to organise the run, advertising, liaison with the central planning team (who will help with logistics, contact with police etc), planning the manning of the ride and route, ensuring you have start and end points, cleanup and security people hired etc.

It's a mammoth task, and if it goes wrong it'll reflect very badly on WB. However, it's easily doable if the organisation team are prepared to commit a lot of time and effort to it.

Planning meetings with the central committee start shortly. If anyone's interested please post below.

Uber Dave
31-05-11, 08:06 PM
Just want to add to what James has said above as James and I were discussing this at the weekend, its not quite as simple as it sounds to start with, the more we discussed it the more and more issues we thought of, even simple ones such as getting people to go out on the morning of the ride very very early and marking junctions with signs etc.

Good luck those who take this on!

Nelly
31-05-11, 08:32 PM
When i first heard of this, t thought that RoR wanted us to marshall the event. Well, that spec has grown considerably! It's a BIG task i think. Must say, i have misgivings....

Dabz
31-05-11, 08:40 PM
yeh must admit I have serious misgivings too, mainly that if ANYTHING goes wrong it's major bad press for WB.

Snowy
31-05-11, 08:44 PM
yeh must admit I have serious misgivings too, mainly that if ANYTHING goes wrong it's major bad press for WB.

Would worry the hell out of me.... so much work and who takes on the public liability aspects?

Dabz
31-05-11, 08:47 PM
that's one of the major questions that I don't know. When me and Dave were discussing it there were more reasons to not do it than there were to do it.

500 bikes max - but WB is going to be on the news for bringing the county to a standstill if 5000 others decide to join in on the day "because you can't stop me"

Snowy
31-05-11, 09:00 PM
I would have thought also that WB would have to be registered as a "Club" or other formal organisation with a Secretary, accounts, insurance etc etc, profit, non-profit, charity status etc etc. That's if monies are coming in and going out.

BB
31-05-11, 10:39 PM
I can assure you it will be very hard work. It's bad enough doing the Bath Classic runs and the most we have had in recent years has been about 100 bikes.

And before you ask, no. :-X

BB

Jacde
31-05-11, 10:43 PM
Eekkk :o
Trust me folks it bad enough just organising cake sales and car washes, and that's just within the company I work for.
Trying to organise something like the RoR (even if it is a small one) is a BIG ask of people.
It'll be like herding cats, we all know that people will just turn up or join in along the route on the day.
It would be a great advert for us if it went smoothly, but as Dabz and Dave have stated it could also led to very bad press.
I think we should stick to local events where we attend and just stick our stand up and press gang unsuspecting bikers :)

NoYou
31-05-11, 11:44 PM
It would be fantastic if it all went smoothly but if ANYTHING went wrong and some health and safety law or events law was accidently overlooked then it would mean big trouble, because WBs isn't a registered organisation it would fall of the individuals who organised the event and that could have massive backlash there are so many rules and regulations for things likle this now that unless you do it regularly it is very unlikely that you won't miss atleast a few. If all goes well then nobody would ever know but if somthing goes wrong... you'll be right into the grinder with no way out.
If there are a few people with the time and experience to pull it off properly then it would be great publicity for WBs and I'm sure we,d get hundreds of new members but if it goes wrong then it would be as bad as it would have been great x 10.
IMHO its not worth the risk, I wouldn't get involved with organising somthing on that scale but that's just me, if people do then good luck and good on you, you've got all my respect 100 times over!
Geo

Jon_W
01-06-11, 09:08 AM
I don't think that WB is setup to handle anything like this. I would politely decline to be involved if I was you.

HensonA
01-06-11, 12:11 PM
I don't think that WB is setup to handle anything like this. I would politely decline to be involved if I was you.
+1

Uber Dave
01-06-11, 03:20 PM

Pretty much sums up my overall thoughts too James.

Moo
01-06-11, 04:52 PM
I think the release from the cancelled Casington Bike Night Says it all really :-[

link to thread: http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1306878956/3#3

direct link: http://www.bmrco.org.uk/page3.html

Davey
05-06-11, 12:33 AM
Have fun if you decide to take on the challenge ...and it will be. As mentioned before it will be easy if there is a team working on it and plenty of communication and knowing what your job is. You will have many barriers normally but as it is highly respected now rather than the first one you will get plenty of assistance from authoritive figures. If you speak to Julia from previous years she will help and point you in the directions for liability and she will have every contact for wilts listed making the job a lot easier

Dabz
05-06-11, 11:15 AM
I've emailed to say wb don't want to organise the event, but if whoever ends up doing it needs marshals then get in touch :)

StreetHippo
05-06-11, 12:22 PM
Think thats a wise decision Dabz ;)

Stu

DaytonaDog
05-06-11, 12:28 PM
Think thats a wise decision Dabz ;)

Stu

+1. Having been involved in planning events I can guarentee its an absolute nightmare

ChrisJo
06-06-11, 12:04 PM
Good move ;)

Jon_W
06-06-11, 01:36 PM
Good move!

NoYou
06-06-11, 05:02 PM
Good way of going about it tbh, you've declined but still shown willingmess to be involved so they won't completely rule WBs out for future eventgs if you get what I mean