PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to a true Biker

redken1
05-06-11, 11:22 AM
My lovely Dad passed away last Friday and as he loved every aspect of motorcycling, I thought it would be fitting to pay him a tribute on WBs and I know it would fill him with pride.
Throughout the Sixties Dad was a regular attendee at the Isle of Man TT races, grass track racer and active member of the Invicta Motorcycle Club in Kent. Grass track was huge and very serious in the south east during that golden era and many of the top speedway riders of the day competed on the grass.

My Dad always boasted about the time that he led the legendary Barry Briggs in a race, even if it was only round the first bend from the start. I have one of his old programmes at hand dated Sunday 15th July 1962 priced 1/- and would like to share some extracts with you. “£1 will be paid to the rider who puts up the fastest time of the day, if this time breaks the record held by A Hagon (42.9 mph)” A few names from the list of competitors: D Godden 350/500 JSS, K Glass (Dad) 350 Matchless, M Simmons 250/350/500 TSS. Dad raced against Malcolm Simmons’ Dad at many meetings and young Malcolm (just turned 16) went on to have a distinguished career in speedway. Perhaps some of the older WB members will recall that Malcolm signed for Poole Pirates in 1975.
One of my fondest memories I hold of Dad was the time when he rode his Vincent to the Isle of Man TT races along with my Uncle Bill, also on a Vincent. Dad was erecting the tent near a small brook with his back to Uncle Bill. Bill said, “I brought a wardrobe along for our clothes.” Dad turned his head and replied, “What the bloody hell are you on about Bill?” With a stone from the brook, Bill was hammering a six inch nail in to a tree and retorted, “Hang your coat on here Ken.”

Uncle Bill is sitting on his Vincent waiting for you Dad. RIP :'( :'( :'(

Thank you for letting me share my thoughts with you all.

Jacde
05-06-11, 11:28 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the passing of you Dad, Ken. My sympathy to you and your family.

Thanks for sharing a bit of his life with us, love the 'wardrobe' quote ;D
I hope I can make a trip to the IoM to see a TT too.

silly_simon
05-06-11, 11:36 AM
Best wishes to you at this sad time mate :(

Thoughts for you and youre family mate, take care :)

Col
05-06-11, 11:38 AM
Sincere condolences Ken ..........yeah it's a tough hit in life to take mate.

Yeah Simmons was one of the top racers...didn't he Capt. England too ?
In front of Briggs 8-)

DaytonaDog
05-06-11, 11:53 AM
Ken

Really really sorry to hear about the loss of your father.

I lost my Dad nearly 8 years ago now and theres not a day that goes by where he is not in my thoughts.

A very lovely eulogy and I'm sure he will be proud that you shared it with a load of bikers.

DD

Lou
05-06-11, 12:12 PM
Ken, I am so sorry to hear of your loss but what fond memories you have, my thoughts are with you and your family xx

Nelly
05-06-11, 12:13 PM
Sincere condolences Ken. Sorry to hear of your loss.
I know exactly what you are going through. Best wished to you and your family at this sad time.

N

StreetHippo
05-06-11, 12:18 PM
RIP, he sounds like a real character, huge loss but great memories.

Stu

Last Train
05-06-11, 12:23 PM
Nicely done Ken

8-) 8-)

pilninggas
05-06-11, 03:14 PM
RIP Ken's Dad.

wiltshire builders
05-06-11, 04:32 PM
Sounds as though you've got some great memories Ken, back when bikers were real men. Thanks for sharing with us. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

lucym
05-06-11, 04:38 PM
My condolences Ken...some great memories. Take care :)

RideSallyRide
05-06-11, 05:01 PM
So sorry Ken to hear of your
sad loss.
A really nice tribute-thank you for sharing it.

redken1
05-06-11, 05:01 PM
I think it is time I came clean – I went everywhere with my Dad to the grass track events. My Mum was forced to sit in the van for the whole meets soothing a screaming toddler (me) because I hated the noise of the bikes. Now you all know why my bike is not fitted with an after market exhaust. ;D

When Dad was fit he often rode pillion with me so I will follow the hearse to the graveside on my bike.

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your lovely comments. They have given me a real lift.

Toph
05-06-11, 05:05 PM
Thoughts are with you mate..your dad was indeed a true biker.. RIP..

Nokesy
05-06-11, 05:12 PM
It is really good to get to hear your great memories of your Dad - what a very fitting tribute indeed :) My thoughts are very much with you :)

Vee4 Gaz
05-06-11, 05:37 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss Ken, Thoughts go out to you and your family. Take Care.

SBQE2
05-06-11, 05:41 PM
Very sorry to hear of your loss, thoughts are with you and your family.

They don't make em like that anymore, mores the pity

Steve

BB
05-06-11, 05:55 PM
Lovely memories there Ken, our thoughts are with you and your family.

BB & Ghost

FJ_Biker
05-06-11, 06:59 PM
Ken my thoughts are with you on your tragic loss

Dabz
05-06-11, 08:19 PM
Very nicely done Ken, sorry to hear of your loss

KP
05-06-11, 08:23 PM
regards to you and the family Ken, and thanks for sharing with us some of your memories

kev

HensonA
05-06-11, 08:56 PM
Sorry to hear of your sad loss Ken. Sympathies to you and your family.

Back in the seventies, I used to go down to Somerton Park in Newport every week to watch the Newport Wasps speedway team.
Phil Crump and his father -in- law, Neil Street, headed up the team. Phil was some racer, although he didn't quite manage the world title, unlike his son, Jason Crump.

Gosh, great memories of seeing people like Ole Olsen and Ivan Mauger race in the British League as it was back then !!!!

I remember Malcolm Simmons too. Tall, slim guy .... didn't he race for Kings Lynn for a while ?????

Beamer
05-06-11, 09:02 PM
Thinking of you and your family ken.
Thank you for sharing.

redken1
05-06-11, 09:50 PM

Back in the seventies, I used to go down to Somerton Park in Newport every week to watch the Newport Wasps speedway team.
Phil Crump and his father -in- law, Neil Street, headed up the team. Phil was some racer, although he didn't quite manage the world title, unlike his son, Jason Crump.

Gosh, great memories of seeing people like Ole Olsen and Ivan Mauger race in the British League as it was back then !!!!

I remember Malcolm Simmons too. Tall, slim guy .... didn't he race for Kings Lynn for a while ?????

I remember that speedway era well Ade. You are right Malcolm raced for Kings Lynn before joining Poole. I was a big Kings Lynn fan during the early eighties, watching greats like Dave Jessup and Michael Lee.

Ryan
05-06-11, 09:58 PM
Sorry to read this Ken, Wishing you and your family the best wishes, RIP

Mark_Able
05-06-11, 10:25 PM
A very nice send off Ken. It's good to have fond memories, because ultimately, that's all we'll have at the end.

When biking is in your family, I think it gets passed down through the blood-line. Here's to all those biking families out there. And to the rest of you... you won't understand.

SueZX4
05-06-11, 10:33 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, but what a wonderful set of memories to carry with you, sounds like he was a true inspiration.

Squashed_Fly
06-06-11, 08:50 AM
I read your tribute to Jen and it brought a tear to both our eyes.
Very fitting & moving.

Both our sympathies are with you

A&J
x

HensonA
06-06-11, 12:07 PM

I remember that speedway era well Ade. You are right Malcolm raced for Kings Lynn before joining Poole. I was a big Kings Lynn fan during the early eighties, watching greats like Dave Jessup and Michael Lee.
Dave Jessup ... little bloke ------ Michael Lee .... tall bloke , both great racers as you say. John Louis was good too ... but he rode for Ipswich Witches who were presumably arch rivals of Kings Lynn !!

redken1
06-06-11, 12:13 PM

Dave Jessup ... little bloke ------ Michael Lee .... tall bloke , both great racers as you say. John Louis was good too ... but he rode for Ipswich Witches who were presumably arch rivals of Kings Lynn !!

Ade, I was at the 'Pride of the East' meet held at Kings Lynn when Louis, Jessup and Lee all tied on points and there was a ride off. All 3 riders broke the lap record that night. Unfortunately, Louis had an off and Jessup won the re-start. It was by a country mile the greatest night of speedway racing I ever watched.

BladeTriple
06-06-11, 04:17 PM
Sorry for your loss Ken but it sounds like he left you with some amazing and fond memories of him and that he lived a fun packed life in his day too .

Sending a huge Hizzy hug to you and yours x

Scaredy_Cat
06-06-11, 05:59 PM
Sorry to read of your loss Ken, but what a lovely tribute to your dad. Those happy memories will always be with you.x

Sean.C
06-06-11, 06:02 PM
RIP

Caz
07-06-11, 10:39 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your sad loss Ken and my thought are with you and your family. Thank goodness for memories, I think of my dad every day and I know how much they are missed :'(

redken1
10-06-11, 09:17 AM
I arrived home from Carlisle in the early hours today from my Dad's celebration of his life. The Minister read out my tribute during the service. I will be riding two-up on the next WB ride as Dad will be with me.

Thanks again for all your comforting comments and please ride safe.