PDA

View Full Version : Starting in cold, damp weather

Choc
14-06-11, 08:47 AM
Typical, I get the Genesis out for it's 2nd commute to work since it's ressurection, and the goshdarn thing wouldn't start. I know it used to have similar problems when trying to start in cold damp weather (aka this morning), and no ammount of choke or swearing could coax the old girl into life. Does anyone else have this problem with older, carb'd machines?
Choc

Jon_W
14-06-11, 08:49 AM
I get this occasionally with the GS. On the GS it's usually damp in the ignition.

470four
14-06-11, 10:18 AM
Did it cough, catch at all?? Would agree, yes - probably damp somewhere... WD40 and/or ACF50 in and around the engine electrics should cure it and keep out the wet for next time!

I prefer to keep a slightly oily damp proofed engine for this reason, there can be such thing as a "too clean" bike if you intend riding it ;)

Choc
14-06-11, 12:05 PM
No coughing at all, just the starter motor. Even a bumpstart had no effect bar waking the neighbors when it backfired ::)

BB
14-06-11, 12:36 PM
I often have problems starting in cold damp weather but the bikes will generally start!

Is it kept garaged? Is the garage particulary damp & cold? Might be a thought to have some air circulating to help keep it dry.

BB

470four
14-06-11, 01:32 PM
Did the bike get wet BEFORE you put it away? Rain etc?

Choc
14-06-11, 03:06 PM
It is garaged and got very wet on saturday, but fired up perfectly yesterday. :-?

simongpz
14-06-11, 04:45 PM
sounds like my gpz when its cold and damp even after the top end rebuild its a pain to start when cold or damp

SueZX4
14-06-11, 11:23 PM
Cold and damp? yep, the resurrected zx4 hates it! Starting with the choke it still coughs and splutters and really doesn't run very well at all until the engine warms up abit. Mind you, I'm told this is still teething problems with it as it was off the road for 4 years (and last person to use it thoughtfully didn't drain the fuel out so it had to be stripped right down...). Either that or just my inexperience of riding it! Think I'm jinxed at the mo tho as my car died on Sunday (alternator packed up) exactly a week after ZX4 started presenting damp problems... next week I'll take my push-bike out in the rain and see if that goes on me too!! lol!

Choc
15-06-11, 07:36 AM
It still wouldnt start when i got home yesterday, so I eliminated the damp as a cause. However, it did respond to a bump start this time and then would start under it's own power, im confused :'(

Jon_W
15-06-11, 07:40 AM
How old is the battery????

Also check the connections and the -ve strap where it connects to the frame for corrosion.

Choc
15-06-11, 08:34 AM
The battery is brand new. I'm dreading the fact that it might be the ancient digital ignitor!