PDA

View Full Version : How 'smooth' should my 05 R1 be? Possible prob?

Dave_R1
07-06-11, 12:04 AM
Hey guys,

Last weekend I bought an '05 R1 with 15k miles on the clock (traded in my '03 model). Now that i've put a few miles on it and got a bit more used to it i'm noticing the power delivery low down is really quite choppy and rough - if I'm travelling in traffic at a constant 30mph in 1st, the revs don't stay constant and it's really not smooth at all, jerking about all the time. When it's on choke (or whatever the FI equivalent is) it's lovely and smooth but once it's off-choke it runs really rough. It almost feels like a twin low down, and sounds like it's not quite firing properly. I took it back to the dealers today and they went through the diagnostics on the clocks and it all checked out fine. They gave a few explanations:

a)They're all like that, rough as feck low down as they're designed to go fast, not slow. They're nothing like the '03 which is lovely and smooth.

b)They don't like Super Unleaded and run really rough on it. (It's had a full tank of Super, followed by a full tank of Premium once the fuel light came on, so it's 80% Premium now anyway)

c)The EPROMs on these 'learn' riding styles; the last owner rode like a girl, so now that you're giving it some beans it's got to get used to your riding style

I rode the bike home and I really find it difficult to believe it's designed to run rough in normal traffic conditions, it's not enjoyable to ride at regular everyday speeds. When it's revved high it goes well, pulls like a train in fact, but it's really lumpy at normal speeds.

Now, it's due in for a "full £250 worth" service at the weekend, agreed as part of the purchase deal, but when I asked if the plugs will be checked and/or replaced I was told no as they're not due until 24k miles, even though they're 6 years old. To my mind, rough running could be down to plugs?

So what i'm wondering is, can others with 04-05 R1s confirm or deny that the bikes are all rough and erratic low down? If not, what's the problem likely to be?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Ryan
07-06-11, 12:23 AM
in my experiance 1000cc sportsbikes dont like going at that sort of speed in traffic and around town, they are'nt really made for that kind of riding ;D

shouldn't be a real noticeable misfire though, could be muck on the plugs worth changing to see if it helps, fresh oil new plugs, check the air filter make sure its not blocked.

best thing is get someone else to ride it to get a second maybe even third opinion.

Dave_R1
07-06-11, 12:30 AM
My experience is the same, but this is worse than i'd expect. Thing is, the dealers aren't prepared to start swapping plugs etc as they're saying there's nothing wrong with it. At idle it seems fine, it's only on a ride that it causes problems. I'll have to convince them to ride it I think, in the meantime i'll put some injector cleaner through it and a fresh tank of fuel in case that's the problem.

I saw a thread somewhere suggesting that throttle bodies sometimes need balancing and if unbalanced would cause this kind of issue?

R1chie
07-06-11, 03:07 AM
Mine is as smooth as a cashmir codpiece at whatever rpm.

Remind me...is the exhaust system on your bike OE? More so, is the y-split de-catted? 5VY R1's are known for smooth linear power delivery unless de-catted when a remap is essential.

Re: Super Unleaded. I wouldn't bother. Modern road bike engines are, for want of a better word, mapped for 95 ron. Banging in 98 ron is just leaving you light of pocket. You may think there's a difference but it is probably your wallet telling you so.

See if the bike is the same post service and take it from there. Sadly I'm not available at the mo to offer to take it out, but if it is still the same in a month's time (which I hope it isn't) drop me a line and we'll have a look at it.

Dave_R1
07-06-11, 10:04 AM
It's got the OE pipes on it and I've no idea re cat, how easy is it to tell?

If it's still **** in a months time I'll take you up on that offer, thanks :)

Snowy
07-06-11, 01:01 PM
Could it be that the previous owner put a new system on it and had it remapped, then put the OE exhaust back on when he sold it, leaving the existing map on the bike?

Dave_R1
07-06-11, 01:10 PM
Yeah that crossed my mind too, I'm going to pop into my local dealer who've serviced the bike all it's life and see if they know. Failing that I'll go and knock on the chap's door and ask :)

Mark_Able
07-06-11, 08:19 PM
The only other thing it might be is a coil pack breaking down. It's happened on my '07 FZ1, and also happened on Lee's '08 FZ1 Fazer. Runs like a bag of crap low down, but clears when you give it the beans. :-?

Nooj
08-06-11, 12:32 AM
Clogged air filter?
Throttle bodies out of sync?

Scotty
08-06-11, 01:26 PM
I did have a plug die on my track bike at Odiham last year, idled on 3, ran quite rough until it was revving over 6000 and gradually deteriorated throughout the day - a new set of plugs cured it, fortunately... sounds similar :-?

Dave_R1
11-06-11, 10:28 PM
UPDATE: The bike shop have MOTd and serviced it and test ridden it twice, and have decided that it has 'all the characteristics one would expect of that model R1'. So it would appear that the 04-05 R1 is MEANT to be a lumpy unuseable hunk of crap then!! How strange. Looks like I have two choices; give it to another bike shop and pick up the bill or sell it. :(

R1chie
12-06-11, 03:41 AM
Sell it and buy mine ;)

Seriously though (although the above was half serious), which bike shop is this?

We really need to get someone to compare yours with another bike, the sooner the better.

RedSoul
12-06-11, 08:34 AM
If it runs like a twin low-down i cant see what your problem is.Sounds like you got one of the few R1,s that run like a proper bike ;D ;D ;D

Dave_R1
12-06-11, 04:43 PM
Lol@Alex - I used to have a TLR so I see where you're coming from!

If anyone has an 04-05 R1 I could take for a spin it'd be much appreciated?! :)

alanTDM
13-06-11, 10:06 PM
Hey guys,

Last weekend I bought an '05 R1 with 15k miles on the clock (traded in my '03 model). Now that i've put a few miles on it and got a bit more used to it i'm noticing the power delivery low down is really quite choppy and rough - if I'm travelling in traffic at a constant 30mph in 1st, the revs don't stay constant and it's really not smooth at all, jerking about all the time. When it's on choke (or whatever the FI equivalent is) it's lovely and smooth but once it's off-choke it runs really rough. It almost feels like a twin low down, and sounds like it's not quite firing properly. I took it back to the dealers today and they went through the diagnostics on the clocks and it all checked out fine. They gave a few explanations:

a)They're all like that, rough as feck low down as they're designed to go fast, not slow. They're nothing like the '03 which is lovely and smooth.

b)They don't like Super Unleaded and run really rough on it. (It's had a full tank of Super, followed by a full tank of Premium once the fuel light came on, so it's 80% Premium now anyway)

c)The EPROMs on these 'learn' riding styles; the last owner rode like a girl, so now that you're giving it some beans it's got to get used to your riding style

I rode the bike home and I really find it difficult to believe it's designed to run rough in normal traffic conditions, it's not enjoyable to ride at regular everyday speeds. When it's revved high it goes well, pulls like a train in fact, but it's really lumpy at normal speeds.

Now, it's due in for a "full £250 worth" service at the weekend, agreed as part of the purchase deal, but when I asked if the plugs will be checked and/or replaced I was told no as they're not due until 24k miles, even though they're 6 years old. To my mind, rough running could be down to plugs?

So what i'm wondering is, can others with 04-05 R1s confirm or deny that the bikes are all rough and erratic low down? If not, what's the problem likely to be?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

If its FI like a TDM 900 clocks diagnostics the CO2 can be changed it will tell you in the Manual how to do that,If its under warranty still id get bike straight back to them,Suss out a R1 forum might have info on there about the problem.

Dave_R1
14-06-11, 07:10 PM
Well they had it in yesterday and state there's nothing wrong with it. To be fair, it ran ok coming home but since they've serviced it and bled the brakes they're really spongey and ineffectual!!! I've had a look at the bleed nipples and one of them produces bubbles when you put the rubber cap on so it's presumably leaking!! :(

alanTDM
14-06-11, 11:34 PM
If its air bubbles and not fluid they didnt do it properly other wise it would be traces of brake fluid, you would see no bubbles, did they tighten the bleed nipple down enough that would suck in air. on brake lever release.I would ring them and tell them about the spongy brakes and air bubbles and get them to do it properly.

Dave_R1
15-06-11, 10:19 AM
It's the air from the rubber cap being pushed into the nipple and back out through the threads but I've called them and they've said to take it straight in and they'll sort it while I wait which should be fun; 25 miles with **** brakes!!

NoYou
15-06-11, 12:44 PM
Where did you take it? If they can't bleed your breaks properly first time I think I want to avoid them!

Jon_W
15-06-11, 02:55 PM
I have to say I'm with G3o.... getting brakes right is kinda fundemental. Not a good sign.