PDA

View Full Version : Insurance question

b_m1957
14-06-11, 05:46 PM
My Thundercat is off the road, at least temporarily, so I was looking at what I could get while I'm working out how bad the 'cat is. My policy started on 1st March and cost £150 fully comp.

So I went onto the Swinton website (who I'm insured with) to get a quote on a VFR750, everything else the same as before. They quoted just under £200, so in my naive head, I assumed I'd have to pay approximately 8/12ths of the £50 difference and would probably get stung for some admin fee as well, so expected to be quoted around £100.

When I phoned them up, they said they wanted £230?!?!

Is this a mistake?

I plan to phone them back tomorrow and work out why it costs so much, but wanted to see if anyone could give me some industry info before I go in hammer and tongs. My only other option would be to cancel my current policy (~£40 back I think) and re-start a brand new policy, which isn't really what I want to do and will feel like throwing good money after bad. >:(

Dabz
14-06-11, 06:07 PM
When I changed from my tt600 tommy 675 the quotes online showed a £50 difference, ended up having to pay £175 extra when I phoned up. Bear in mind they have you over a barrel if you want to use the same ncb and at least some of it will be an admin fee :/

silly_simon
14-06-11, 07:01 PM
Also online quotes usually include a hefty discount :(

b_m1957
14-06-11, 07:53 PM
I don't mind paying more than the difference between the two quotes, I expect that.

I'm just amazed that it costs more to change from a 'cta to a VFR than it would for a brand new 12 month policy on a VFR!!!

So all they'll get out of it is a lost customer and £50 or so of my policy which I won't get the benefit of, since it'll be cheaper for me to just write the policy off.

I'll do my best to get a better deal but I may be asking for insurance recommendations this time tomorrow ::)

Jon_W
15-06-11, 07:23 AM
Change insurers.... I would. You can transfer your NCB.

ChrisJo
15-06-11, 11:05 AM

I ahve just had the same, going from a 2 bike policy back to one bike, bear in mind whilst you can transfer the NCB you can't transfer part year discount.

So I had to pay the inflated price to retain that.

b_m1957
15-06-11, 01:44 PM
I think that's likely. Let them know what I'm going to do and see if they'll give me a better deal then cancel and start the year again. Gonna end up having paid over £100 for 3 months insurance >:(

Kevinb
15-06-11, 02:00 PM
Swinton tried to get another £25 out of me a couple of months after I had taken up the policy due to an adjustment. apparently I had to pay an admin fee for adding a change re an accident back in 2008 (which wasn't my fault with no claims protection) As I was with them the year before I asked why it didn't come up last year. After finally getting through to a supervisor and another half an hour on the phone they waived the charge.

b_m1957
15-06-11, 02:39 PM
:-/ :-/ ::)

Phoned them back and today the computer says £28 to change!!!

I'd written a Fireblade out of the question because of the last quote... now I have a difficult decision again! :)

Ducatista
15-06-11, 06:06 PM
You can transfer your NCB.

You will lose the part year.
Also be aware you need to PROVE NCB.
If you sent off your original renewal notice to get this quote, then you won't have it to use again unless you took a copy.
The insurer you are leaving might not be that helpful suprisingly.

I always take a copy or scan in case mine gets lots in the post.
Be aware if you can't prove it then the the new insurer will want to remove you discount and ask you to pay up or will cancel yor insurance within 7 days etc.
They seem to be really harsh on this these days.
You do NOT want this to happen.

If you have insurance cancelled through non-payment, you'll have to declare it on every quote in the future for ever.
This will put up prices, get you declined and stop you using on-libe systems.

So make sure you've got proof of your NCD before you make any decisions.

b_m1957
15-06-11, 07:27 PM

If you sent off your original renewal notice to get this quote, then you won't have it to use again unless you took a copy.

Be aware if you can't prove it then the the new insurer will want to remove you discount and ask you to pay up or will cancel yor insurance within 7 days etc.

If you have insurance cancelled through non-payment, you'll have to declare it on every quote in the future for ever.

That's a very good point I hadn't thought of. Could you not prove your NCB with the certificate of insurance from current insurer, which states number of years they have accepted?

Anyway, hopefully it won't be an issue thanks to the more competent person I spoke to today.

Squashed_Fly
15-06-11, 08:03 PM

You will lose the part year, but you don't need to prove the NCB. So long as you can supply them the policy number, and the company, they can check the records and the companies HAVE to supply the data to your new company.

Jon_W
16-06-11, 03:17 PM

That's a very good point I hadn't thought of. Could you not prove your NCB with the certificate of insurance from current insurer, which states number of years they have accepted?

Anyway, hopefully it won't be an issue thanks to the more competent person I spoke to today.

No. You need to get another certificate from you current insurer. Some agencies hold these details on a database and can look them up instantly, but it depends on your insurer.

Snowy
16-06-11, 04:16 PM
It's always shown on the last renewal notice sent to you - thats the one to copy and send. Good advice to copy them first - Carole Nash also allow you to scan the original and email it to them as well.